Author Topic: What to look for used c14  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Summit670

What to look for used c14
« on: November 11, 2017, 01:52:35 PM »
Thinking about another concours. Sold my 87 connie which I had since new, earlier this summer. Been riding my Yamaha Raider but miss the weather protection and bags.

Have not followed c14 forum much. Things I have read:
Fobs - make sure to get two with bike, they are pricey
Heated hand grips - std starting in 2010, and I definitely want these
Fairing vents - in 2010 the fairing has more venting

Valve adjustments - 16k intervals. Shop cost $600-800.  PIA to do youself but possible with adequate patience. I performed my own adjusments on the c10 but the 14 doesnt thrill me at all because of the tedius nature of the job.

Tires - seems like 5-8k is typical
TPMS - sounds like earlier versions had a battery which could be fairly easily replace. Later versions probably not. Kinda pricey but should last 5-10 years depending upon use.  Must use Kaw tpms cause it communicates with computer and is proprietary.

Is this accurate info and what else should I watch for or beware of on a 2010 or newer concours?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline connie_rider

Re: What to look for used c14
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
Try to get one that is still under warranty, has an extended warranty, or find out if you can buy the extended warranty.

Oh, and,,, watch to see if you can find one with Steve's Flash already in it..
Lots of good deals on the COG Forum, and many have his flash.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »
Yes, excellent, most of that seems exactly right.

The windshield vent appeared much later than 2010, 2016 I think but am not sure. There have been two basic generations of C-14, Gen. 1 2008 and 09' only, and Gen. 2, 2010 through 2018 so far. But there have been a few more minor changes on the Gen. 2 bikes: 2010 still had ABS optional, 2011 and later it is standard. Around 2012 or 2013 the front rotor carriers were changed, and this seems to have gone a long way toward stopping rotor warpage, a problem on earlier bikes. The rotors interchange through all years though.

As Ted already said, try to get a used bike still under warranty because you can extend it for three years for under $400, and that is a great buy in most people's opinions it seems (it is IMO). And the warranty can be extended a maximum of twice, for a total of 9 years under unlimited mileage warrantee, not too shabby at all.

Tire miles varies somewhat more than what you mention and it appears that those of us in the northern US get more tire miles than those in the southern US. I can get 16K out of a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2 and 3's with tread still showing on both tires.

But it seems you have an excellent handle on this bike. Most owners seem to like it and overall, they have proven pretty robust and reliable with a few stand- out exceptions that the warranty would take care of. I would not and have not hesitated to hop on mine and run it to the other coast and back more than once without a single hiccup.

Brian

Thinking about another concours. Sold my 87 connie which I had since new, earlier this summer. Been riding my Yamaha Raider but miss the weather protection and bags.

Have not followed c14 forum much. Things I have read:
Fobs - make sure to get two with bike, they are pricey
Heated hand grips - std starting in 2010, and I definitely want these
Fairing vents - in 2010 the fairing has more venting

Valve adjustments - 16k intervals. Shop cost $600-800.  PIA to do youself but possible with adequate patience. I performed my own adjusments on the c10 but the 14 doesnt thrill me at all because of the tedius nature of the job.

Tires - seems like 5-8k is typical
TPMS - sounds like earlier versions had a battery which could be fairly easily replace. Later versions probably not. Kinda pricey but should last 5-10 years depending upon use.  Must use Kaw tpms cause it communicates with computer and is proprietary.

Is this accurate info and what else should I watch for or beware of on a 2010 or newer concours?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.   

Sounds like an extened warranty can be extended one time.  I didnt know that.  Seems like these bikes are pretty rock solid as llong as they have been maintained. 

I spotted a 2011 with approx 16k.  I have not inqiured but assume the valve check/adjust has not been done. Also not sure about warrany.  Even it it had one and could be extended, I would probably be safe in not getting it and apply that money toward a valve adjustment.  I would also ask the mechanic to provide me a before/ after shim chart.  Hmmm
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
Try to ride one with linked brakes before you decide. Seems like a split decision on liking the system.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
Are linked brakes an option on the c14 after 2010?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
standard..... no option

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
Also no big deal for most people.  Some find it annoying, though.   The linking was reduced in 2015.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
And it can be defeated on all year C-14's but that takes some re- plumbing, a full system empty and re-fill, and these things can be truly pesky to bleed the hydraulics. But it can be done relatively cheaply if you can do yourself.

Brian

Also no big deal for most people.  Some find it annoying, though.   The linking was reduced in 2015.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 06:30:20 PM »
Just to be sure I follow you, the warranty can be extended two times, for between 1 and 3 years each time. The bike comes new with a 3 year warranty, so the max. time under warranty is 9 years with unlimited mileage.

Brian

Thanks for the feedback.   

Sounds like an extened warranty can be extended one time.  I didnt know that.  Seems like these bikes are pretty rock solid as llong as they have been maintained. 

I spotted a 2011 with approx 16k.  I have not inqiured but assume the valve check/adjust has not been done. Also not sure about warrany.  Even it it had one and could be extended, I would probably be safe in not getting it and apply that money toward a valve adjustment.  I would also ask the mechanic to provide me a before/ after shim chart.  Hmmm

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:17:58 AM »

Not ridden a linked GTR/C14 however I have ridden many linked Hondas and TBH if I hadn't known they were linked I probably wouldn't have known
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Summit670

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 05:41:48 AM »
Good to know on the linked brakes.  I have never ridden one. I have always bled my own brakes but wouldnt anticipate replumbing to disable because I like to stay pretty much oem on the mechanical end unless something really needs to be upgraded. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules