Author Topic: Bought a "Barn Find" & need advice.  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Dualsport

Bought a "Barn Find" & need advice.
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
I purchased a 2009 C14 with 3,800 miles in June 2016. I think the bike got it's original miles "normally" and then it sat untouched for 6 years. I knew there would be issues associated with it's extended storage. In December 2017 I had 13,000 trouble free miles, but had not ridden the bike for about 5 weeks. I decided to go on a 3,000 mile plus trip, and while prepping the bike, I started it to move it. Smoke came out of the cowling. The bike appears to have a valve cover leak. The next time I started it it smoked 1/2 as bad and when I left for the trip, I could only smell it. Logged 3,400 trouble-free and smokeless miles, but... Bike now has 16,800. What do y'all recommend I request the dealership do?
1. Just change the valve cover
2. 1 plus check the valves
3. 2 plus change the spark plugs
4. 3 plus...??
Is there anything else on my "barn find" that should be changed or inspected while we're opening her up.
I changed the oil, air filter, and shaft fluids myself when I bought it. I did have to add coolant before the recent trip and it's level remains unchanged.   

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Bought a "Barn Find" & need advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:05 PM »
Yep, pretty common issue with C-14's: valve cover leaks and exhaust cam sensor O-ring leaks. The O- ring can be replaced with a slightly larger one, a guy here named Rich (goes by the handle Man of Blues) figured that out. He will probably chime in here to let you know how to go about getting one.

The valve cover takes a little more work to get fitted better than OEM. There are quite a few threads about it but I have had good success using a bead of RTV sealant under the seal in the valve cover before it is installed, and let it set up a bit before tightening the valve cover bolts.

As to the valve adjust, all kinds of opinions on that: I went 25K before my first one and one valve was very slightly tight but I left it. Next check at 50K showed all in spec. Bike now holding at 99K. Or you can go by the manual, which will have you adjusting them in 15K mile increments. Your choice.

It will be much less expensive to get the valves adjusted at the same time the valve cover is fixed because the valve cover needs to be removed to get at the valves (even to check the lash). So a lot of labor can be combined.

As far as the smoke, that is just oil seepage burning off the headers and other than being a little 'off- putting' is nothing to worry about. Most of us never even had to add any oil between changes. It really is not a leak, merely a small seepage but because it is on the header, it does make smoke.

Brian

I purchased a 2009 C14 with 3,800 miles in June 2016. I think the bike got it's original miles "normally" and then it sat untouched for 6 years. I knew there would be issues associated with it's extended storage. In December 2017 I had 13,000 trouble free miles, but had not ridden the bike for about 5 weeks. I decided to go on a 3,000 mile plus trip, and while prepping the bike, I started it to move it. Smoke came out of the cowling. The bike appears to have a valve cover leak. The next time I started it it smoked 1/2 as bad and when I left for the trip, I could only smell it. Logged 3,400 trouble-free and smokeless miles, but... Bike now has 16,800. What do y'all recommend I request the dealership do?
1. Just change the valve cover
2. 1 plus check the valves
3. 2 plus change the spark plugs
4. 3 plus...??
Is there anything else on my "barn find" that should be changed or inspected while we're opening her up.
I changed the oil, air filter, and shaft fluids myself when I bought it. I did have to add coolant before the recent trip and it's level remains unchanged.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Dualsport

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
Thanks Brian. I've spent hours combing the Valve topic on this site and all it does is confuse. Nowhere did I see that post that said, "Should'a done the valve job, because..") I'll probably whip out the credit card and have the valves checked while they're in there. The local Kawi dealer's mech has been around a long time and when discussing it with him before the recent long trip, he kinda left-handedly emparted that I should ignore it for now and in the many C14/ZX14's he's checked, he's only seen one that needed attention, and that was a ZX that was "youthfully ridden". Only thing that haunts me is doubt -- and the fact it gets darned hot here in the summer and a fire would not be good.

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:50:12 AM »
I have one or several oil leaks on my bike and tried doing a search to find info on replacing that oring but I could not find it. Could someone please direct me to that information so I can think about fixing that. Thank you.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
If that isnt enough google" o ring for concours 1400 gtr fanatics"   Murphs is who sells the over size one.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Bikeman875

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 02:59:59 PM »
Thank you I did not realize it was called the cam sensor o-ring so I was not using the correct search words.
I appreciate the help, thanks.
2011 C14
2007 Ducati 1098
1996 Honda VFR
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT Auto