Author Topic: LED Headlights and Running Lights  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
LED Headlights and Running Lights
« on: April 01, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »
I bought a set of LED headlights and running lights from Robocop. I installed them yesterday and took some pictures last night. Figured I would post them up Incase anyone is interested. Crisp white light and very bright. Couldn’t be happier!

This one is with only the running lights on.

This one is low beams

This is high beams

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: LED Headlights and Running Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:24:21 PM »
I picked up some JDM Astars on Max’ recommendation.  They work great.  Super bright.  Maybe even too bright.  People keep flashing me (easy boys) even though I keep lowering the beam...
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 08:51:19 PM »
Generally, those things are called "city lights" not "running lights" (at least on the C14; as defined by Kawasaki).  Running lights are more likely where the turn signal lamps are (or close to them) and yellow (like red tail lights, but for the front/side.)

I always recommend replacing the city lights with yellow bulbs, just to give some little amount of additional visibility (through contrast).  White just blends into the headlights, serving pretty much no purpose.  Ah the mystery of the city lights! :)

LED headlight bulbs are finally decent (enough reliable light and with a good pattern).

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18301.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22202.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 08:53:32 PM »
I picked up some JDM Astars on Max’ recommendation.  They work great.  Super bright.  Maybe even too bright.  People keep flashing me (easy boys) even though I keep lowering the beam...

Hope they are all attractive and of the correct gender, but if you would keep your raised beam to yourself, you wouldn’t have that problem!  :rotflmao:

These are really bright and if anyone flashes me because of my low beams, they are not going to be happy when the high beam is turned on! (Easy boys)
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »
Generally, those things are called "city lights" not "running lights" (at least on the C14; as defined by Kawasaki).  Running lights are more likely where the turn signal lamps are (or close to them) and yellow (like red tail lights, but for the front/side.)

I always recommend replacing the city lights with yellow bulbs, just to give some little amount of additional visibility (through contrast).  White just blends into the headlights, serving pretty much no purpose.  Ah the mystery of the city lights! :)

LED headlight bulbs are finally decent (enough reliable light and with a good pattern).

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18301.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22202.0
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236.0

I didn’t think running lights was the correct terminology but I had no idea what they were called. Since we are on the topic, any idea what their purpose is?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »

I have had to adjust them several times (generally lowering them) before I was confident that they were not too high.  Mine were "Cloudworks", though. 

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22202.msg275513#msg275513
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IX0B6AQ
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Robocop1127

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
I bought a set of LED headlights and running lights from Robocop. I installed them yesterday and took some pictures last night. Figured I would post them up Incase anyone is interested. Crisp white light and very bright. Couldn’t be happier!

This one is with only the running lights on.

This one is low beams

This is high beams

***Thanks for sharing brother!!! I knew those Led Headlamps would work well with the JDM LED running lights!!! Looks great!!! Hope you had a nice Easter. Ride safe out there my friend***

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 09:14:06 PM »
I didn’t think running lights was the correct terminology but I had no idea what they were called. Since we are on the topic, any idea what their purpose is?

Some presumed that they were put there so if the bike is on and yet the headlights are off, it gives improved visibility when parked.  Of course, the headlights are on as long as the ignition is, so that theory is shaky.  I tend to think they are just for show/design/fashion and don't serve much purpose.  That is why I decided to give them a purpose by installing very bright yellow LED bulbs in them.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18301.msg265940#msg265940

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »
It was always my understanding that "city lights" were for European regulation compliance and that they weren't off putting enough for the expense of removing them from U.S. and elsewhere models.

Quote from: wikipedia
The front position lamps on any vehicle may emit white or amber light in the US, Canada, Mexico, Iceland, Japan, New Zealand and much of the Middle East; elsewhere in the world only motorcycles may have amber front position lamps; all other vehicles must have white ones.[10][21][26][27] Colloquial city light terminology for front position lamps[28] derives from the practice, formerly adhered to in cities like Moscow, London and Paris, of driving at night in built-up areas using these low-intensity lights rather than headlamps.[29]

In Germany, the StVZO (Road Traffic Licensing Regulations) calls for a different function also known as parking lamps: With the vehicle's ignition switched off, the operator may activate a low-intensity light at the front (white) and rear (red) on either the left or the right side of the car. This function is used when parking in narrow unlit streets to provide parked-vehicle conspicuity to approaching drivers.[30] This function, which is optional under UN and US regulations, is served passively and without power consumption in the United States by the mandatory side marker retroreflectors.[10]

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 03:20:56 PM »
It was always my understanding that "city lights" were for European regulation compliance and that they weren't off putting enough for the expense of removing them from U.S. and elsewhere models.

That is kinda what I said (somewhat here, more in other threads)- but there is no way to turn off the headlights with any model C14 (that I am aware of) so the city lights don't seem to serve any purpose in ANY market with the first "purpose" (running instead of headlights while moving).  And the second "purpose", while parked with the ignition on, the city lights do come on without headlights, but then there is no way to remove the key!  So that is just as useless- one couldn't/wouldn't ever leave the bike that way or it would be stolen.

So it is still a mystery.  Almost like they were designed to be there FOR a regulatory purpose, originally, but then at the last minute they decided to not really implement correctly and just left them there.

Just as annoying- there is no way to use the hazard lights either, without the ignition "on."  This is contrary to all cars..... nobody would leave their [unattended] vehicle in an unlocked condition WITH THE KEY PRESENT and removable just to use the hazard lights; unless maybe the bike would not run.  But even then, it would be very risky.  Of course, the alternative is that the hazard lights work with no ignition and someone plays with it and drains your battery dead.  They COULD have had some timer on it, so it would blink for 30 or 60 minutes or at a certain voltage and then stop, I suppose..... but as far as I am aware, it doesn't have that ability either.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 03:43:34 PM »
parking lightgs/sidelights. one of lifes great mysteries.

It's still UK law that all vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h) however as has been correctly observed newer vehicles have the headlights wired to come on with the ignition and on most vehicles now there is no option to turn the ignition to a "Park" position and remove the key.

That said I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it.

Bit more background reading

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/parking-lights/
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »

That is kinda what I said (somewhat here, more in other threads)- .....

Oh, sorry. I was responding to what you said below. 

I tend to think they are just for show/design/fashion and don't serve much purpose. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »
Oh, sorry. I was responding to what you said below.

:)  No prob.  But I also said:

"Some presumed that they were put there so if the bike is on and yet the headlights are off, it gives improved visibility when parked."

I absolutely do believe they were put there to try and satisfy some obtuse (perhaps obsolete) regulations, although they really serve no actual purpose as implemented, except perhaps "design."

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
So, if you change them to amber bulbs they become running lights. Otherwise, they are just a design feature with no purpose, kind of like the lines on the saddlebags.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
So, if you change them to amber bulbs they become running lights. Otherwise, they are just a design feature with no purpose, kind of like the lines on the saddlebags.

Pretty much, yeah.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
On the first gen bikes the lines on the bags continued the visual flow from the fins on the front fairing thus tieing the various components together. The second gen restyle screwed that up.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
On the first gen bikes the lines on the bags continued the visual flow from the fins on the front fairing thus tieing the various components together. The second gen restyle screwed that up.

Actually, I think it still matches pretty well.  Slightly different angle, but still 4 stripes up front and 4 on bag.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »
don't forget the 4 stripes on the heel plate ;)

(also in the "1st gen looks neater at the front" camp)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 05:04:22 PM »
 :goodpost: :chugbeer:
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
(also in the "1st gen looks neater at the front" camp)

I think the front fairings on the gen2 are much nicer looking, even if they don't fit perfectly with the bags.