Author Topic: New C14 owner with Brake question  (Read 1402 times)

Offline John Michiels

New C14 owner with Brake question
« on: April 24, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Hello all,
I just purchased a 2009 Connie with ABS and like it very much. I have only ridden it home from the PO (120 miles) and my first impression is that it is a very sweet ride. There is one aspect that I am a little concerned about.
While braking I noticed that the front end of the bike dives slightly as I release  the rear brake pressure only.  Is that normal?
I have not yet adjusted any of the suspension settings from the original settings that the PO had set up.  I still have to register the bike.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: New C14 owner with Brake question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »
 Welcome to the forum, John!!!
 I don’t have any experience with the C14.
 I am sure someone will be coming along shortly with an answer for you.
 Great bunch of guys and gals on this forum.
 By the way, pictures of your new ride when you can.

Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:37:11 PM »
Hello all, I just purchased a 2009 Connie with ABS and like it very much. I have only ridden it home from the PO (120 miles) and my first impression is that it is a very sweet ride. There is one aspect that I am a little concerned about.

Welcome!

While braking I noticed that the front end of the bike dives slightly as I release  the rear brake pressure only.  Is that normal?  I have not yet adjusted any of the suspension settings from the original settings that the PO had set up.  I still have to register the bike.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You don't have linked brakes on a Gen1, so when you release the rear brake you might be squeezing the front a little more to compensate (maybe without knowing)?  When braking, weight moves to the front, and the front will dive some, the more braking, the more it compresses the front suspension. 

My advice, since you have a used bike, is to put all the suspension settings back to factory default and start from there to see how that feels.  Who knows what the previous owner might have done (and it could be scary "wrong").  The owner's manual will tell you all those settings (which is for a 150lb person, not counting the gear).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline John Michiels

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »
Thanks for clarifying the brake system design Maxtog. Honestly I am glad to find out the brakes aren't linked. Im old school. My other bike is a 2003 Yamaha FZ1.  No ABS, no FI. I wasn't even sure I wanted ABS but I think that being a newby (to a bike this big) it might save my bacon if I have to do a panic stop before I learn the braking capabilities of this bike.  Once its registered I'll find a huge parking lot and find out if the ABS is working properly.  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
I have no love of linked brakes, but no great issue with them either.  ABS, on the other hand, I think it is an absolutely wonderful safety feature; well worth the price/complexity.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 11:56:04 PM »
Hello all,
I just purchased a 2009 Connie with ABS and like it very much. I have only ridden it home from the PO (120 miles) and my first impression is that it is a very sweet ride. There is one aspect that I am a little concerned about.
While braking I noticed that the front end of the bike dives slightly as I release  the rear brake pressure only.  Is that normal?
I have not yet adjusted any of the suspension settings from the original settings that the PO had set up.  I still have to register the bike.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Make sure you immediately change all the fluids in the bike to set a baseline for maintenance schedules. The brakes need flushing at least every 2 years along with the radiator, etc. I have a bulletproof 2009 C-14 and I prefer the independent ABS system (not linked) that it has- you can rip thru the mountain twisties and modulate speed with the rear brake and it 'settles' into the next corner w/o any fear of high-siding. Good luck and many safe miles to you.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
Welcome John! Congrats on the new/used ride.

The weight transfer to the front brake is normal if you release just the rear while braking like Maxtog said.

You are going to have so much fun tweaking this motorcycle and this forum is THE place to get answers.  Enjoy the ride.

Offline John Michiels

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'm sure I didn't apply additional front brake so I guess it was just the weight transfer.  I have to do some suspension tweaking for sure.