Author Topic: proper well nut installation  (Read 1621 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
proper well nut installation
« on: June 21, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »
As some may recall my windshiled was broken.  Got a great deal on here for a cheap replacement. But when I tried to install it onto my Madstad brackets the well nuts failed. One broke during installation and I had a spare and used it. But during my first ride two more well nut failed and actually fell out. [Ruh Roh] I was lucky my new shield did not fall off!

So I have ordered new well nuts and I did some research on proper installation beacuse I have always had problems with these buggers. The official Parker instructions just say insert bolt and tighten unti snug. However I found a windshield company that has more detailed instructions https://www.clearviewshields.com/well-nut-fastener-installation/
"Rotate the Bolt no more than 7 full rotations until the threaded portion of the fastener has compressed and created a ridge of rubber on the back side of the fairing, taking care not to over-tighten (which can pull the threaded section through the hole and compromise the fasteners strength)."

I have most likely been over tightening my well nuts! :o
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: proper well nut installation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
As some may recall my windshiled was broken.  Got a great deal on here for a cheap replacement. But when I tried to install it onto my Madstad brackets the well nuts failed. One broke during installation and I had a spare and used it. But during my first ride two more well nut failed and actually fell out. [Ruh Roh] I was lucky my new shield did not fall off!

So I have ordered new well nuts and I did some research on proper installation beacuse I have always had problems with these buggers. The official Parker instructions just say insert bolt and tighten unti snug. However I found a windshield company that has more detailed instructions https://www.clearviewshields.com/well-nut-fastener-installation/
"Rotate the Bolt no more than 7 full rotations until the threaded portion of the fastener has compressed and created a ridge of rubber on the back side of the fairing, taking care not to over-tighten (which can pull the threaded section through the hole and compromise the fasteners strength)."

I have most likely been over tightening my well nuts! :o

Probably out of fear your balls will go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm phobic about that, after 3 divorces... :-\

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
Ah yes, "Remarriage is the triump of hope over experience".  ;) ;D

Brian

Yeah, I'm phobic about that, after 3 divorces... :-\
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 01:06:59 PM »
Ah yes, "Remarriage is the triumph of hope over experience".  ;) ;D

Brian
or....insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result
 :cannon: :doh: :rotflmao:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:39:09 PM »
third time's the charm.... at least, so far....

YMMV

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..