Author Topic: Who has two thumbs and enlisted in the Navy today?  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Who has two thumbs and enlisted in the Navy today?
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
what was said is they let go 6,000 sailors because they are "overmanned". But they enlisted 41,000.
And the statement that it is all about not paying retirement is right on the money. They have reservists serving so they can eliminate people. Meanwhile we are told only greedy corporations do this.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »

If I had to do it again, I'd follow my brother's route and get the 4 year degree 1st and then go OCS.  It pays better and they payed him to get out.

MiniCog - here is a man who knows of what he speaks.  By the time you've been in 5 years, unless you're a sh*tb*rd your job will be about the same as an officer's anyhow - telling people what to do and working paper not valves.  Only he gets paid twice as much.  Think about it.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Tim

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
MiniCog - here is a man who knows of what he speaks.  By the time you've been in 5 years, unless you're a sh*tb*rd your job will be about the same as an officer's anyhow - telling people what to do and working paper not valves.  Only he gets paid twice as much.  Think about it.

A "O" or zipper head gets one room mate in a state room until they become more Senior and gets a room of his own.  An enlisted guy gets +/-60 room mates. The zipper head sits down to eat on china plate not a tray.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »
Haven't been to a computer in a while and read all the new posts, just watching where it's all going.

I plan on finishing my degree while I'm in, then I can go to OCS after I finish my degree.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 06:03:40 PM »
Go for it!
Best of luck.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
If I get re-incarnated I want to be on an aircraft carrier, I love me some jets !!! Watching an F-14, 16, 18, or 22 take off and land is almost better than sex.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Excavator

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
If I get re-incarnated I want to be on an aircraft carrier, I love me some jets !!! Watching an F-14, 16, 18, or 22 take off and land is almost better than sex.

I love em too, my favorite memories of my days on Ft. Hood were being under the low flying fighter jets....nothing like it.

Thanks for your service MiniCog.  :thumbs:

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
In my DEP meeting today, we had an O-5 and an E-9 come today...  That was pretty cool, we got to ask them pretty much any question we wanted to.

They both said if they could do it again, they'd do everything the same way. 

Also, if you go to NASA's space museum, you'd think most of the people in the shuttles would be from the Air Force, right?  around 75% fo the guys that have been up there were Navy airmen.
And it makes sense to me, think about it, the Navy guys have 900 feet to land on, the Air Force has 3 miles.  Not bangin' on the Air Force or anything, but the space shuttle thing was surprising to me.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »
See if you can meet some of the Sailors doing the job.  I always took my DEPs to FT Lewis, I would drive around the barracks and let them choose which one to stop at, I'd go talk to the CQ to let em know what we were doing.  They had access to any Soldier taht would talk tp them, nothing staged, no agenda.  Sometimes we would endup in the middle of a BBQ, sometimes we found em all liqoured up.  But it gave them a real picture of what Army life was like when they were not in uniform.  We would always end up at the sim center, I had as much fun as they did, engaging a virtual army with full sized and converted weapons of their choice.  That place rocked!!!  After wards we always ended up eating pizza and sharing what was discovered.  Natuarally we encouraged they bring friends, some of whom would make the commitment to enlist..  See if your CPO will organize a DEP fun day/team building day.  It can be competitive, see which DEP brings the most guests, then have a softball game (Paintball isn't recomended and may actually be prohibited-there are ways around that tho) and a good pizza and soda feed.  If he goes for it take the lead and do the organizing.  If you have a naval base nearby see about a tour. 

And I'll say thanks again for your future service.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »
Jim, ya can't watch F-14s any more, they were all retired a few years ago.  :(
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Mr. Green Genes

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2018, 11:14:17 AM »
6 Years later..., Where are you at, Mini Cog?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2018, 01:03:44 PM »
I did some checking and he has been posting occasionally.
In 1 post he was doing something with his Chief on a Detachment..
So, apparently he did go into the Navy.
Not sure where/when/what Rating he ended up with?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:51:06 PM by connie_rider »