Author Topic: Slight Rust on Rotors  (Read 843 times)

Offline j_wahl91

Slight Rust on Rotors
« on: June 09, 2020, 09:51:15 PM »
Not sure if this is the spot for this question, but I'm curious if anyone would have an idea on what to use for a rust remover on rotors and if there's anything out there that would help keep rust from forming. Unfortunately I can't keep my C14 in a garage and VA recently has been wet and humid so I'm kind of at a loss right now. Just trying to keep my baby cleaned up which is a battle in and of itself living on a gravel road.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Slight Rust on Rotors
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:54:33 AM »
It all depends on what part of the rotor is rusting. Can you post a pic of the rust?
You can't put anything on the braking surface of the rotors as that would interfere with braking.
All you can do is to replace the rotor with one that uses a stainless steel braking surface.
If it is the bobbins that are rusting, once again, buy rotors with stainless steel bobbins.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »
I don't think rust reformer/converter is what you want.  You want to remove the rust.  I'd try a 3M paint stripper disc in my drill to try to clean it off.  If there is too much pitting on the rotor surface, however, you may need to replace the rotors that are affected.

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 10:47:23 PM »
I'll post a picture here soon to show. Appreciate the current feedback. With where the rust is on the rotors, I don't think it really requires the replacing of the rotors.