Author Topic: Going to the Darkside.  (Read 20418 times)

Offline 84Sabre

Going to the Darkside.
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:47:13 AM »
I've searched the forums and I haven't really found general info pertaining to the Concours and Darkside. If there is one, can I get a link?

I've been doing a lot of looking into Darkside ever since I took a motorcycle class and the instructor had a car tire on his FJR. Swears by them, told everyone to try it. I had heard of it before, but now I want to jump on it once I get my Concours.

I recently started reading about people also putting the rear tire on the front. Would that mount like a regular front tire? Would it even fit? Anyone here do it?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Going to the Darkside.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »
Good luck with this one, Homeboy. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 08:53:25 AM »
Did somebody say oil thread?

Offline ZXShan, 2015 C14 ABS

• 2015 C14 ABS
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:18:36 AM »
First off, "to each their own!" That being said 84 Sabre, a very broad rule of thumb or "litmus test" so to speak is to look at what the pro's are doing to give you an idea if something will work or not. This rule does NOT apply to everything and is just a very broad guideline one can use as a starting point. "I" am NOT a pro, I do have 41 years of riding experience under my belt that includes dirt racing, street racing, drag racing, being a professional test rider for Harley Davidson and yet I am still learning each and every time I throw a leg over the saddle! In all of my years I have NEVER seen someone mount a car tire on a bike or mount a rear tire on the front and then think that it "might" be a good idea which then inspired someone else to run out and do it. I very rarely post to forums because I like to avoid conversations that in my opinion should not even be taking place because they are silly, but this string definitely struck a cord this morning. I know it's just my opinion, but you should really take a step back and think about what you are wanting to do! If you really feel the need to do something like this then for the safety of others don't take anyone else on the bike with you when you roll out of the garage!  Stay safe!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:50:25 AM by ZXShan »
Quote: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
-Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 10:01:24 AM »
Sure seems wrong. When cornering you'll be up on the narrow edge / corner of the car tire, which as far as I know wasn't designed for that. Of course a car weighs a lot more than a bike, but still, right on the corner of the tire like that, and pushing outward into a slide ... hmmm.

That said, last time I was at the Dragon there was a guy on a cruiser (not a Connie) with a car tire, hangin' out at the end of the ride, happily conversing and seemingly no worse for the wear.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »
 :popcorn:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 84Sabre

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:07:08 AM »
...but this string definitely struck a cord this morning.

It's what I expected before posting. These conversations always get super heated wherever I read it. The people that have never done it get irritated and the people that do it swear by it, so threads usually seem to go downhill quick.

Sure seems wrong. When cornering you'll be up on the narrow edge / corner of the car tire, which as far as I know wasn't designed for that. Of course a car weighs a lot more than a bike, but still, right on the corner of the tire like that, and pushing outward into a slide ... hmmm.

According to everything I found online and on videos, the edge of the tire bends during turns and has the same contact patch as a motorcycle tire. The instructor was some 60 year old guy on an FJR and rides year round and only has a truck to move motorcycles he works on.

That's the only reason I was considering. He demonstrated cornering with the car tire and the FJR took it just fine.

The rear tire on the front supposedly gives more traction and last longer? He didn't do that, but that's just something else I read.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
Did somebody say oil thread?

:rotflmao: Not me, I learned my lesson!

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Just a quick note about putting a rear tire on the front:
Take a look at the width of the rim. The front rim will not take a rear tire (not one from the Concours anyway).
Besides that, unless you remove the front fender, you can't go a whole lot wider without changing more things out. Go too wide and it won't fit between the forks.

How long do you need the front tire to last? I normally get around 10-12k on the front tire and 7-8 on the rear (all depends on rider, style of riding, tire compound and such, but that's an average for me). The front tire is $140 and if you bring the bike to them, $40-60 to install. Rear tires are closer to $200 and you can easily get the wheel off and bring it in, so you can get it installed at Cycle Gear for $15 or a dealer for under $40.

I just don't understand what you gain by doing these changes. I remember hearing that the car tire is cheaper. But if you are buying a brand new Concours, for $14k+, does it matter if you spend $100 vs $230 for a tire or if you go through 3 normal tires in the span of one car tire, $100 vs $690?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 02:13:14 PM »
I've searched the forums and I haven't really found general info pertaining to the Concours and Darkside. If there is one, can I get a link?

I've been doing a lot of looking into Darkside ever since I took a motorcycle class and the instructor had a car tire on his FJR. Swears by them, told everyone to try it. I had heard of it before, but now I want to jump on it once I get my Concours.

I recently started reading about people also putting the rear tire on the front. Would that mount like a regular front tire? Would it even fit? Anyone here do it?

well, first off I'll say this, when you get around to buying a C14, you have about 4,000 miles to figure out what tire you want to use for replacement...
this thread is moot with regard to owning a C14. and is about as productive as "what color is your bike"...

secondly, your "searches" here or on the ZG Fanatics forum, are lacking, might want to spruce up on using the "search" feature on both... specifically relating to "car tire".

we have worn out the treads on this subject, and frankly the general concensus is... " no matter what the majority says, you will do what you will do..."
best of luck, ride safe,
enjoy.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=search2

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 02:15:08 PM »
we have worn out the treads on this subject, and frankly the general concensus is... " no matter what the majority says, you will do what you will do..."
best of luck, ride safe,
enjoy.

+1 on that!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »
This is very common on Goldwing's & also ST1300'S. I've rode a buddies ST1300 with a car tire & it handled just fine. Another friend has a 2010 Goldwing & is on his 3rd rear car tire, Followed him threw the Dragon one time & he did fine. While I don't see a problem with it I will not put one on my bike, Many on their high pulpit will preach about the evil's of doing it but to each his own  :chugbeer:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
I don't think anyone in their right mind would even consider putting a car tire on a quality/performance motorcycle like the C14.   I think it would be unsafe and handle poorly in EVERY condition.  But, it is your bike/life!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »
A thousand word picture...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 05:33:46 PM »
A thousand word picture...

Indeed.

A car tire is NOT designed to be ridden on the edge like that.... EVER.  DANGEROUS (and that cruiser thing can't even hardly corner).  And the transition from one state (flat) to another (non-flat) is bound to be abrupt, which, is also DANGEROUS.  And it has no tread designed to deal with water in such a position.  DANGEROUS.

Possibly tied with brakes, nothing connected to a motorcycle is more safety-important than tires... tires designed to deal with the types of forces and traction needed to keep a motorcycle connected to the road and moving predictably.  Again, anyone in their right mind would never put a few dollars [possibly] saved by trying to mount such a improper tire above their safety.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 06:39:28 PM »
There are certain tires that have a rounder profile & also flex a little. My friends are both running the same tire & having followed them for many miles I've never seen theirs bikes look like that one in the picture in a corner. The tire on that bike is about as square as they come. But like I said, I would not put one on mine either :chugbeer:
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
This seems to be like a previous post where it may be ok for some but not for me. A bottle rocket reference comes to mind...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline clogan

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
I had a car tire on a Honda VTX (cruiser v twin) a few years back. Seemed to work fine, but I don't believe I'd do it again...especially not on  a C14.

As for oil, I use Rotella T6...also use Valvline 10w40...also use "genuine" Kawasaki oil, but have no idea who makes it. Use what you want, but keep it clean!  :thumbs:
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
If I had a really long trip planned with lots of slab riding to be done, then I would be tempted. I'd keep it sane in the twisties if I was darksiding.
The C14 is most likely off the bottom end or at least on the boundary on the list of bikes that some would try car tires on IMO. Wings being at the top
of the list. Here is an interesting thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/why-yellow-wolf-runs-car-tires.1008923/
..and some more...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=35036.msg184763#msg184763

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=search2;params=eJw9j8EKwkAMRH9FevEyB5Nsa_s1ZbsbsFrbsl0VoR9vVkTIZd4wYcbHp5-Dxv24017tm_oULvm9qgE2MKRiOQFDUKPBGWTXoAXV6EAE6uAY3MIR3AnSQVpwB3YQkwRpIBYXiCXNIrD9a8CWqsEGQSeQgBycXV2KXJZXH5b7OmkuXQp6DFcNuV_m6f0jS8p9HJOpqFv4EVNJJ_3u-k8yWAWfDnlMWh2iT7dtjPoBgvVNIg..

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 11:07:45 AM »
I bought this bike to NOT keep it sane, that's what my car is for.

Darkside sounds dumb to me but I know little about it, people swear by it.  Not for me!
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F