Author Topic: Going to the Darkside.  (Read 20419 times)

Offline kv5e

Re: Going to the Darkside.
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »

gr33nmAn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »
Did it really take 5 years for a dummy to speak out?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »
I don't know, ask PH14.  He's got a dummy.....er little wooden man (easy boys).  Could be genetic.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
I don't know, ask PH14.  He's got a dummy.....er little wooden man (easy boys).  Could be genetic.

The guy that posted the dummies has allegedly been a forum member since 2011 and that was his first post.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »
The guy that posted the dummies has allegedly been a forum member since 2011 and that was his first post.

There was a forumnami back then that washed up a lot of hard feelings and left a schism and two forums. Some folks active on only one and some on both.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »

Actually 12th post; only one was counted....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »
Do we have hanging chads like they did in Florida?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »
 :) Something like that...compare your post count with your actual posts in your profile.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »

Post in the non-motorcycle sections such as the open forum do not count...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »
I see said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
I see said the blind man to his deaf sister, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
fify
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »
I have a good friend who owns a 1999 Honda Valkrye.

For whatever the reason, Honda failed to put a centerstand on it.

Then, the saddle bags bolt on, and take a lot of effort to remove. They must be removed, in order to remove the rear tire. He's taken the bike to a local bike shop 3 times now for rear tire replacements.
(An expensive drag, every 7-9k miles.)

So, he read, researched, studied, and spoke with guys who had gone to the darkside for their personal opinions of running a rear car tire. All were favorable. Most were claiming between 25k-35k miles of life.

So, he went this way, his last tire change, which was about 8k miles ago.

For the most part, he likes it. Only gripe; doesn't track very well on uneven pavement.
I've ridden behind him for a lot of those miles, and he has no problems with handling or traction going through the curves.

Do I get sick of having to spend $200 on a rear tire, every 10-12k miles? Yep.
Would I like to get that kind of mileage? Yep!
Would I do it on a C14? Nope.

For him, and his bike, it's worked well. For me on a Connie? Seriously doubt it.

If I had no centerstand, or were my bags / brackets bolted on, I'd probably try it.
But, it's too easy and quick to change a rear tire on a C14.

But, I will say I agree with what was said about nail/ screw damage to MC tires being tough/ impossible to repair. Car tires repair better, and easier.

But, I prefer not to go 35k miles before pulling the rear tire between FD gear lubes.
To each his own, I say.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 04:41:26 AM »

We don't hang them 'round these parts. We like to use one of these instead.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 11:16:21 PM »
I failed to see ANYTHING about guillotines.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 04:03:52 AM »
I failed to see ANYTHING about guillotines.

You must mean this forum... http://guillotine.cultureforum.net/

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:55 AM »
That's better.

Offline MS1400

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
I had about 100K miles combined on the Darkside of a Roadstar and a Venture  (Yamaha)  It was fantastic to say the least.  Doing it right you match it with a Rear tire for the front that leans in unison with the Wider Rear you installed.  You get your Air pressures dialed in and off you go and change the both of the tires out at around 30K miles (They will go more in my cases but they just feel different that last 1/4 of life) 

With all that experience I say DO NOT put one on a Connie.  I would LOVE to if there was a combo and a need. 

First,  It's a Cruiser thing.  They are not getting the lean angle we do and the main reason is longivity for a trip.  I was laid off at the time I did it and rode over 35K two years in a row.  I was sick of changing tires on the road.  AND my bike two up loaded was over the Gross Weight rating of any MC tire available so right there it was safer. 
It also raised the bike a bit giving me more clearance to lean more and I did, scraping the exhaust. 

On a Road bike, it is an advantage,  You are just touring, riding, long, just one loop of the USA and you would change tires twice,  With the Darkside you can loop the USA twice and not change tires.  Traction was crazy good,  Mud, snow, sleet, hail, sand, gravel and in the rain it shot back a Rooster tail!  The beefier Rear on the front really felt good too in the combo. 

Here was the problem.  Typically The Darkside choice is a Race or Taxi type tire.  I had a taxi tire on one bike and a Front Dragster tire on the Other.  They had incredibly strong sidewalls to handle the force all the naysayers **** their panties over.  Trust me that was never an issue.  But here is what is an issue.  Of course it's a Radial tire, and it does flex,  so will your butthole the first time you are leaning into curvy ramp and also hit some bumps at the same time.  Leaned,  the bike bounces, like a ball.  It's an uneasy feeling that will upset you if you don't keep your nerve and ride it out. 
  I should mention this same flex the radial tires have when going over bumps adds an incredible amount of comfort in it's shock absorbing capabilities, another Darkside cruiser advantage, Ride comfort! 

Another thing is Speed,  Cruisers are not getting to, or Over 100 MPH as fast as we do.  And there is the other weakness of the Darkside tire, if you spin it too quickly it can't change it's shape as fast as it needs to and you will get what those that have soiled their panties call Tank Slap.  They don't know what it was. 

The Car tire can go over 100 in my cases easily.  UNTIL you add a curve to the process and it is there the tire can't handle the transition from it's design to run flat, to run on the edge at high speed.  It will fight you and it will win if you don't back it down. 
So thats what makes it a SERIOUS NO GO for a C14 or really any Sport bike. 

You can mount one on a Cruiser and go all 30K miles floating around sight seeing even aggressively slaying the dragon.  It's at High speed where the tire edge cannot change quick enough to keep up with the speed, once the tire deforms, it will buck you.  I had mine up to 110 on a straight, I also nearly lost it in an Interstate curve going 90.

A Connie is always quickly accelerating, and going fast into curves.  (At least I am) Even if you could (And I know of two that have) Fit a tire to the rim and run it.  You would be limiting the bike to cruiser ability. 
  The first time you hit bumps or holes in a curve you might get a lesson your road rash would prove you got. 
  If you were over 100 and hit a curve, you might just totally lose it altogether!  Like I said, the tire can flex up to normal speeds, but beyond that, once it transfers the weight onto that stronger sidewall Darksiders Hand pick, The whole handling of the bike changes and the tire, suspension and the ride can't keep up with those changes and there is the opportunity for the catastrophic results Darksiders warn about. 

Yes, I could mount A rear Darkside and ride the US knowing all this, but I have just crippled the agility and speed of a great bike.  I'd get 30K miles but I would not have much fun in the curves doing it.  And high speeds would be iffy. 

So although I would LOVE to.  I have to be thankful for the Traction Control I have and the ABS  (Two things my Darkside Bikes did not have and the Darkside configuration Really helped with, Traction going and stopping!) 

The only drawback we have is, changing, at least, the rear tire on a 10K mile plus trip at least once and Both tires before 22K PITA yes, but small price to pay for all the leaning and high speeds you get to do. 

I did keep my Darkside bike for one winter, because I always rode all winter long on the darkside.  But I let it go because the Connie was so much more fun to ride and the maint of two bikes was not in my lifestyle. 

So, with the fact that the rear tires can't really handle sport bike speeds and lean angles, and that I doubt a Rear MC tire on the front could ever be a possibility on a Connie due to the cramped wheel well.  I say we will NEVER see the Darkside properly and safely run on a C14.   

If you want that, buy a bike that is popular in the Darkside tire database.  I've seen one Concours Darkside listed (NO REAR TIRE ON THE FRONT so it is an Incomplete Darkside IMHO.)  and I doubt he really liked it.  IF he's still alive, the tire he mounted has been known to shred on cars. 

If I ever get a GW, I will go back to the darkside if they don't make it illegal, but as much as a LOVED the darkside on my Cruisers, there is no way I see me running it on a Connie as much as i would love to go 30K again without changing tires.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
To each his own. No accounting for what turns some people on.....

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2016, 06:42:49 PM »
Interesting post, MS1400.
Thanks for your input, I hope it helps somebody.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips