Author Topic: Texas House of Representatives Passes “Sport Bike” Law  (Read 12158 times)

YoDoc

Re: Texas House of Representatives Passes “Sport Bike” Law
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
I'd like to think that I will raise my kids (they're real young) to think better than this. It's not a terribly useful law, but I don't see it as a bad thing either.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56:37 PM »
interesting thing in that area paper:

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2010/10/07/Malorie_Bullock_(19)_died_when_a_truck_pulled_out_in_front_of_the_motorcycle_that_she_and_her_boyfriend_were_riding

"The other accident occurred at approximately 9:30 p.m. Thursday, when two other A&M-Commerce students were injured after being struck by a vehicle.

According to a statement issued Friday afternoon by the Commerce Police Department, the accident occurred in the crosswalk area of Highway 24/50.

An initial investigation by the department revealed two students were at the median about to cross the northbound lane going east. The male and female students started walking towards the campus when an sport utility vehicle traveling northbound struck both individuals. The driver was unclear as to what she had struck and continued traveling northbound to the next turn around area, then returned to the scene. "

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Stasch

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
Sorry, but I believe in personal responsibility. Anybody who does anything and doesn't have a clue as to what they're getting into is simply asking for trouble. It is very regrettable when someones personal decision costs them their lives, but nobody has ever successfully claimed that life is fair...

As far as your poster girl, she has stated that it was her own fault for getting on a bike without protective gear... and now actively campaigns for ATGATT...

She's not my 'poster girl'.  But hey that's all cool.  I only used it to show that people can think they know what you're getting into, but if the idiot twisting the throttle doesn't, you are in deep stuff.  Same with the other two examples.

For sake of discussion, how can someone have a clue if they don't understand bikes.  What's the difference between a racy looking modern moped and a sport bike that goes 186 mph to the un-informed? 

Mr. 18 year old says 'hey want a ride' to the hot clueless 16 year old (or younger) girl.  How could she possibly make an informed decision when she doesn't have a clue?  Neither of them are likely to have a lot of common sense in the first place.  I know 'cuz I were one once.

We all do lots of pre-emptive things without thinking, only because early 'pioneers' crashed and burned, allowing us and others to learn from their mistakes and / or lack of knowledge.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Son of Pappy

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »
When I was a kid we had a bull in the field next door.  Keep in mind, I was under 10, yet I could tell from the size of the thing and the sharp pointy things poking out his head that I needed to go around that pasture.  Didnt need Pappy or anyone else to tell me and I certainly didnt need a law.  Anyone who has ever fallen while wearing a pair of shorts understands the pain associated with a skinned knee, it isnt a far stretch to imagine pavement on unprotected body parts and the soon to be felt pain.  This is another example of the nanny state commanding more control over a persons life, nothing more, nothing less.
I soon expect a law banning death, totaly unenforceable, yet required in some politicians grand scheme of things.  Every step taken brings us one step closer to death, some steps are longer or faster, but closer none the less.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:07 PM »
I could support a law stating that all motorcyclists were banned from having passengers for the first two years of their license. I could support a law stating that anyone under 21 could not have passengers under 21. But for the nanny state to single out sport bikes just because a few passengers trusted the wrong people or made misinformed choices is not something I can or will support...

I agree.  I never came out to say I thought the legistation great.  Just to point out that its understandable and that Euro style licensing probably came from the same ideas.

Your point is valid.  A kid can kill a boatload of their friends just as easily in a station wagon as a Hi-Per sports car.

It would make sense to 'target' the inexperienced riders with licensing restrictions like overseas.  The legislation in question is crafted by people who are likely ignorant about motorcycles as evidenced in the 'criteria' they use to try and define sport bikes.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

Offline Stasch

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
I soon expect a law banning death, totaly unenforceable

LOL, we already have that.  Suicide is illegal, but its kinda hard to bring the justice system to bear on the offenders ! :o

Son of Pappy

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
LOL, we already have that.  Suicide is illegal, but its kinda hard to bring the justice system to bear on the offenders ! :o
Not really, Dr assisted suicide is legal in WA state, lots of hoops, but legal none the less.  If I eat 25 Triple whoppers a day and die of fatness, is it illegal?

My entire point in the bull story is it is quite obvious that a mototcycle is dangerous.  More laws restrict something that is obvious and equates to control.  What ever happened to holding an individual accountable for their choices/actions?  Mama nature dont need no stinking laws, what is, is.  Life is fair, it is the choices made that just make it seem unfair.  Given equal circumstances, mama nature always produces the same results, nothing emotional about it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
Not really, Dr assisted suicide is legal in WA state, lots of hoops, but legal none the less. If I eat 25 Triple whoppers a day and die of fatness, is it illegal?.
Not if you go quick, but if you linger and become a burden on society.....

Son of Pappy

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 05:18:57 PM »
Not if you go quick, but if you linger and become a burden on society.....
\
A burden is a burden ;)  Someone will either carry it out of choice, or be forced to carry it.  If the burden is worthless, no one will choose to carry it.  If a law has no value, will folks choose to follow it?

Offline ZG1K

• I've enjoyed my time here...
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
+1
+2

Here in Florida, we've seen all sorts of stuff in the name of "safety" that ends up endangering our rights and costing the taxpayer or small business person bundles. We have a red light camera bill complete with victim's name just like the bill you have in Texas. You're now guilty until proven innocent. We also had changes to parasailing regulations that will put most operators out of business because of all of the people killed parasailing here in the past 10 years. How many you ask?

1,000?
No.

100?
No, but a little warmer.

10?
Still no. Keep going.

The answer: 4

So now the proposed law (not sure if it passed, hopefully not) went from having a million dollar liability policy to 2 million just like that. The industry is already regulated on the water by the Coast Guard & in the air by the FAA. One of the Senators on the panel nailed it when he said we'll put the weekend operators out of business and that this was an inherently dangerous activity, and finally that the government cannot protect us from every dangerous activity we pursue. He was outvoted like 7-1. BTW, I don't have a dog in that fight but was in the committee room for another bill when they were debating this one.

Don't get me started on Motorcycle Only Checkpoints!
2006 C10 Concours SOLD
My other bikes are a 1981 Suzuki GS1000G, a 1986 V65 Sabre, and a 1991 ST1100 project I'm converting to a UJM.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »
I'd like to think that I will raise my kids (they're real young) to think better than this. It's not a terribly useful law, but I don't see it as a bad thing either.

Not to pick on you, but this attitude really perturbs me.    So many ways to look at this.  The road to hell being paved with good intentions is one of them.  Another is the attitude many have that if it isn't effecting me it doesn't matter to me.  For example, I don't smoke, can't stand the stuff, but I hate the law here in Arkansas that makes all work environments smoke free.  You can't have a smoking section in a restaurant anymore.  Like I'm too stupid to choose non-smoking section or choose a different place all together.  So the inconvenience to smokers is no sweat to me, but it's a reduction in liberty and dang it, that shouldn't be tolerated. 

I suppose I may not be fairly characterizing what you are trying to say, but it's the laissez-faire attitude that bothers me.  Hmm, that's ironic.  That term really means 'let it be' yet that is sort of the opposite of what this law does.  It's the opposite of freedom from state intervention.

YoDoc

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »
With the exception that it targets "Sport Bikes" this law does not one thing harmful. All laws are merely guidelines anyway. You cannot force someone to act in a certain manner. You always have a choice. Since this is a licensing issue, this information will be on the test to get a motorcycle license. Then everybody who gets a MC on their license will know what the rules are, what a good idea is and is not. If the rules are there, you can hold someone accountable. Someone is ALWAYS accountable, and it's usually the driver. If the passenger is a licensed motorcycle driver, they know about motorcycles and are better informed to make those decisions. If the MC driver has had a license for more than two years, they are hopefully a little more skilled than your average squid and therefore hopefully a little safer.

In my mind, this law is more about holding someone accountable than actually regulating motorcycles.

YoDoc

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 11:33:01 PM »
And before the personal responsibility argument comes back, when that person makes a decision to get on the back of your motorcycle, you are personally responsible for their safety.

Offline booger

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 06:31:16 AM »
So you have to be 18, not the current 16, to drive a Ninja 250? :o

YoDoc

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
I don't think you should be able to drive anything on public roads until 18... One of the few things the Brits got right.

Offline 2001concours

• 2001concours website
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
I fully disagree with you on the smoking ban in the workplace. Without absolute smoke free rules there will be asshats who flaunt those rules and smoke inside the building, in their offic,e in a conference room or right next to the door. There is no way a restaurant can have a non smoking area in the middle of the room and still have no smoke. Smokers infringe on my liberty and right to not be exposed to a health hazard imposed by others optional actions.

It is different to require a tiered licensing structure like Europe or Japan on motorcycle usage. That would make perfect sense, save lives, and increase sales of lower cc bikes in the US. BUT it will cost $$$ to set up and maintain.

By requiring a motorcycle passenger to have a license or permit to ride would really limit a biker's ability to pick up girls, so I am against it. But I am also against the sale of a high powered superbike to an inexperienced rider. I have seen motorcycle salespeople pushing a Gixxer on a newbie, since there was one in stock. Stupid. 

Adrenaline junkie? Yep. I was 25 years ago. That's why I had a series of sportbikes in my 20s. Lucky I didn't kill myself. Just luck. Not smarts.

Not to pick on you, but this attitude really perturbs me.    So many ways to look at this.  The road to hell being paved with good intentions is one of them.  Another is the attitude many have that if it isn't effecting me it doesn't matter to me.  For example, I don't smoke, can't stand the stuff, but I hate the law here in Arkansas that makes all work environments smoke free.  You can't have a smoking section in a restaurant anymore.  Like I'm too stupid to choose non-smoking section or choose a different place all together.  So the inconvenience to smokers is no sweat to me, but it's a reduction in liberty and dang it, that shouldn't be tolerated. 

I suppose I may not be fairly characterizing what you are trying to say, but it's the laissez-faire attitude that bothers me.  Hmm, that's ironic.  That term really means 'let it be' yet that is sort of the opposite of what this law does.  It's the opposite of freedom from state intervention.
2001 Concours with 90k miles, heavily modified.
Lots of how to images on my webshots folders
http://community.webshots.com/user/2001concours

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
She's not my 'poster girl'.  But hey that's all cool.  I only used it to show that people can think they know what you're getting into, but if the idiot twisting the throttle doesn't, you are in deep stuff.  Same with the other two examples.

For sake of discussion, how can someone have a clue if they don't understand bikes.  What's the difference between a racy looking modern moped and a sport bike that goes 186 mph to the un-informed? 

Mr. 18 year old says 'hey want a ride' to the hot clueless 16 year old (or younger) girl.  How could she possibly make an informed decision when she doesn't have a clue?  Neither of them are likely to have a lot of common sense in the first place.  I know 'cuz I were one once.

We all do lots of pre-emptive things without thinking, only because early 'pioneers' crashed and burned, allowing us and others to learn from their mistakes and / or lack of knowledge.

My daughter was raised around and on bikes and had her first one at age 3 (her mom was out of town on biz and left me as designated parent  :P) and when she turned 18, got her street license after completing the MSF course. She rides ATGATT mostly (but never sans helmet). And she's beautiful, so attracts males like a "Free Beer" sign.

Last night at Bike Night in the parking lot, she was being talked up by a young dude with a tricked-out YZR-1. Eventually it got around to him asking the "hey, wanna go for a ride" question. She goes, "No thanks, got my own and points to her Ninja." You should've seen him deflate. Like watching the Goodyear blimp get a puncture.  ;D

Offline JetJock

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
I don't think you should be able to drive anything on public roads until 18... One of the few things the Brits got right.

I think they can do mopeds and bikes of 125cc.

Offline JetJock

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »

TOTALLY DISAGREE with you on the public smoking laws! One of the best damn laws for the public good (and simply the pleasure of not having to do deal with asshat smokers). Period.

Just because some people have a smelly, annoying, health-destroying bad habit does NOT mean we're taking any of their freedoms away. They can smoke in their car, their home, any private property. But when they smoke in a public place or office, they're affecting MY freedom.

Offline JSharp

• Arena
  • 2011 Ninja 1000
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 01:45:54 PM »
I'd like to see a law that protects me and my liberty from people with good intentions...