Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133687 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
ECU flashing now available
« on: November 16, 2015, 05:48:35 AM »
  Just wanted to give y'all a heads up, I've released my Concours 14 ECU flash. I think many of y'all know me from the work I've done with the c-10's but some may not know I've been working with the 14's for a couple years now. It's really a fantastic bike, but when it came to the EFI system Kawasaki certainly left some goodness on the table. With my new flash low rpm flatness and throttle snatchiness is gone, Low rpm torque and fuel ecomomy is improved, and the top end gain of 14 hp is pretty substantial.

We're well past the proving stage, I've done several dozen ECU's so far and the reports are consistent and positive.

You can visit my site (in my sig line) or send me your email in a PM for more info. Here's the page on my site

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours1400

Here's my bike, same dyno, same day, minutes apart, stock run then flashed run.

thanks, Steve
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:46:11 AM by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:08:06 AM »
Steve, will you be listing, either here or on your website, what intake/exhaust configurations your reflash is tested for and will you update the list as more come on board?

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 06:16:21 AM »
Currently the flash will work for stock configurations and slip ons. Air fliters aren't an issue. Of course there are some with full aftermarket exhausts, and currently I'm not supporting that, though I do have a full Area P system waiting to be installed and then I'll do a map for the area p system.

I think the biggest Issue I've faced so far is the questions - set forth as assertions - by folks who have no clue about what they are typing. There are a lot of wives tales and internet lore surrounding the tuning of the c-14, and some folks want to held steadfast to incorrect information, probably because it's all they have had to date. i'm glad to answer questions, but I won't divulge specifics of my tune. Read the reports, don't take anything I say at face value, research it.  Steve

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 06:32:06 AM »
Will this work on all year bikes, Steve?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 06:39:30 AM »
Yes, I've done 2008's to 2015's and all years in between.  Steve

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 08:14:56 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Steve.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
Thank You Jim, I wanted to wait til I had all the T's crossed and I's dotted before I posted it up here  :yikes:  Steve

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 09:27:54 AM »
What is your turn around time if I send you my ECU?

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »
What is your turn around time if I send you my ECU?

1 day unless something prevents me from doing so, like I'm on a trip (not often, but one this weekend)   :o Steve

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
  1 day unless something prevents me from doing so, like I'm on a trip (not often, but one this weekend)   :o Steve

Thank you, I'll contact you about getting this done when I see a week of bad weather coming. I commute on my bike. Probably January.

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 09:34:30 PM »
Had the magic done on my ECU. Big grin factor. Very happy with the results. Sent mine to Steve on a Monday and got it back on Friday.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Hello! Idiot over here! Can I flash this to my PCV? Spanks
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 11:06:07 AM »
Hello! Idiot over here! Can I flash this to my PCV? Spanks
Mike

No, this flashes to the ECU and does much more than can be done with a pcv. Steve

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 12:37:53 PM »
Does it matter much if the flies are pulled? Or can one leave them in with your flash?

Thanks for your time and effort doing this.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
Does it matter much if the flies are pulled? Or can one leave them in with your flash?

Thanks for your time and effort doing this.

I think Steve  said he was out riding this weekend (those lucky Floridians) but from all the talk on the other forum, his flash is designed to use with the flies in.  It's designed to work on his bike, which so far, by design, is 100% stock.

If I've read and recollected correctly, (and from this point forward you're relying on my memory) he says removing them can hamper overall performance...  something about turbulence and airflow...  way beyond me...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
Thanks  8)

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »

the flash takes control of the flies and other aspects of the tuning, so it's best if they're left intact.

There are those who feel that "flies out" is the best way to go and I'm here to reiterate that it is not. A friend just purchased a 2010 with flies out, an area p slip on and a PCV... the bike has a momentary lag when the throttle is opened that the flash doesn't exhibit at all, and the sharpness to throttle input with the flies out just isn't like the flash provides. Steve

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
Have you got on the dyno yet with the Area P slip on with and your flash? I am curious if it will be close 150hp. I just put on the Area P slip on before winter shut me down. If it comes in the way I think it might, Santa might have to bring me a reflashed ECU for Christmas.  ;D
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
I'm guessing just the slip on won't make nearly that kind of power (that would be an increase of around 20 HP), I think you need the Area P complete system to get that kind of power.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
I'm guessing just the slip on won't make nearly that kind of power (that would be an increase of around 20 HP), I think you need the Area P complete system to get that kind of power.

+1

A muffler swap will amount to very little.  Size, looks, sound, weight, not power.  Different story if you replace the exhaust system, though.  But that is some big coin (and without a PC, it would require a custom tailored ECU flash).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc