Author Topic: Second connie drop  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Second connie drop
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »
My first one was at a gas station when I thought I got the side stand down, but did not. I escaped with some light scuffs on the bag. Mostly caught the bike and the concrete pedestal (or whatever they are) by the side of the filling station helped.
But on 6/5/2011, I did not have any such luxury. Wife and I were meandering around some back roads. We came across a town about 20 miles from home and decided to see if we can take a back road back without having to back track. Wife saw a road that snaked up a hill and thought it might zig zag us back to home. Well, came to find out it comes to a dead end up the hill - gradient has to be about 30 degree. It branches out to a T where it stops and on the left it goes to a small parking area a few feet away and it gradients down by about 20 degree. So, basically I am facing a road that goes up hill and on the side is a road going down hill. And maybe I was sun stroked, I decided to take a U-turn by going up the hill a bit and then going down hill and come back...ok...I do not know what I was thinking. But needless to say, as I turned at a right angle, the bike slipped out from under me. Wife landed on her back, but somehow I was in my feet. Damage was a few scratches and it looks like mirror center stop broke. I am not sure if I did not give enough gas or was stupid enough to try to put my foot down. But well, I got no scars to show.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline timmerz

Re: Second connie drop
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
Ooooooouuuuch! That kind of thing doesn't do much for the travelling companion's confidence factor, does it! Sorry to hear about the meeting of Concours and roadway....glad to hear damage was minimal, and neither of you got hurt, too!

Offline koval68

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that, but so very glad you both are okay.
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
Ooooooouuuuch! That kind of thing doesn't do much for the travelling companion's confidence factor, does it! Sorry to hear about the meeting of Concours and roadway....glad to hear damage was minimal, and neither of you got hurt, too!
Yep, it did reduce her confidence factor. She is now scared of getting on it. I keep telling her that I am not going to drop like that and will be careful.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline timmerz

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
You are going to have to plan a couple of real short little trips so she will not be too scared to get on with you again, then after she gets her wheels under her again she will be good for the longer rides again....

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
I have to get better helmets first. She absolutely hates the ones we got. She wants to ride without helmets and I am not going for that anymore. Done that for way too many years - luck may run out anytime soon.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »
Hey  know this is a late add-on ,but my wife and I logged a buttload of miles on a BMW K1200LT most top heavy weird,low speed handling bike EVAR.....I dropped it 3 times w/her on back ,she didn't like it but every time it was Zero mph & she just helped upright it-she loves to ride and had full faith above 3 mph!!! Try to expain low speed screw-ups...Maybe???

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?