Author Topic: Police pursuit video - what bike?  (Read 22694 times)

Offline cltsig

Police pursuit video - what bike?
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
Can anyone identify the bike?  Doesn't sound like a Harley but the way it can't keep up, just might be.  ST?

http://youtu.be/23i-BvSZqzU

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Police pursuit video - what bike?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
BMW R1200RT. I think he can keep up with the Mazda but has to be VERY cautious. That looks like a dangerous situation for the LEO. Running all those stop signs and lots of possible cross traffic. I was surprised that when he hit the open 3 lane road that he didn't overtake faster.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:55:42 PM »
Yeah, even a HD would've kept up, but what are you gonna do when you catch him?  Still haven't legalized shooting for evading arrest, even in your fine country (though it would lessen the risk to the public from high speed chases).  I think keeping the perp in sight and following from a safe distance was the right call.  It sure didn't provoke the idiot to drive even more recklessly and kill someone in the process.  Hats off to a thinking officer.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Yup, your right. BMW1200RT. I see no issues in the video  staying with the mazda.
Prudent and  safe  riding  to keep the perp.  within eye sight was all that was needed.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline booger

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
My hat's off to the officer.  I would have been extremely pissed after that chase and probably woulld have caused a little bodily harm.

Offline sixshooter

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »
The motor unit did a great job. The department I work for has a no pursuit policy for the bikes. This didn't stop any of us from chasing someone trying to elude us, but there isn't anything more dangerous that getting into a pursuit with a motor. No second chances if someone doesn't see you going through a intersection. We would normally wait for a car to take over the lead and then follow two or three back. Spent more than one occasion in a lieutenants office explaining why I didn't back out. Again the officer did a great job from what I could see. The RT's are a great bike, not super fast, but well balanced for what is needed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
He doesn't need a supersonic bike, he has a radio, and lots of armed friends.

My best friend is retired Detective Sergeant.  He told me years ago, "Nobody outruns Motorola".
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »
The BMW police bike is designated as an RT-P.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:04 AM »
Wow, great job by the motor-officer.

I've never ridden an RT before but from the video it looks like those mirrors suck! 

Maybe if the dip :censored: offender would have had his pants pulled up be might have been able to run faster?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »
Wow, great job by the motor-officer.

I've never ridden an RT before but from the video it looks like those mirrors suck! 

Maybe if the dip :censored: offender would have had his pants pulled up be might have been able to run faster?

+1 I was thinking the same thing.

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »
Excellent job on the motor cops part. Stayed in control and called out every turn he made, very good. To put it as kindly as possible, say he could keep up is grossly inaccurate.