Author Topic: Motorcycle Superstore + Shinko Recall  (Read 11357 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Motorcycle Superstore + Shinko Recall
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
I have been in the process of trying to get my Shinko 757 replaced due to the recall. My initial contacts with Motorcycle Superstore (MS) was very positive. My emails to them and the explanation of what was going on was responded to very quickly. Once the person I was initially dealing with (Keenan) had the picture of what was going on he turned me over to Tyler from Customer Services. Tyler emailed me on May 3 stating that I needed to return the tire for warranty replacement. I emailed him on that day and asked him to contact Sam Tanzer from Western Power Sports to help him understand what was going on and that I did not need to return the tire. Since that day I have never gotten a response from either Tyler or Keenan despite the fact that I have emailed them 6 times.

This is very disappointing. I have bought a number of things from them but if this is the kind of service I can expect in the future then I suspect that they won't be getting any further orders from me. Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to have the damn ME880 installed. I don't have money for another tire and the only way to get a different tire is to have MS accept the money from WPS and either credit me with the money towards another tire or to have them give that money to me. If they don't talk to me then it looks like I am SOL.

Offline Lodogg2221

Re: Motorcycle Superstore + Shinko Recall
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »
Maybe you already have, but Id be on Sam from WPS too, as it looks like he is the guy they talk to there anyway.
In any case, Id call both of them at MS every day.  Probably at this point, Id call them both a couple times a day.  Believe me, they will get REAL tired of it after a while and get the issue resolved.

You can also try contacting Shinko directly and give them all the same info.  They may be able to force something from their end...

In any case, it sucks when people cant have the decency to at least return calls, even if they know nothing more than they did last time.  Its worth it to keep their reputation intact to let the customer know what they know or dont know.

Hope you get a resolution, and keep us posted!
Say what?

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:04:47 PM by knight_mare »

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
I got a reply today from Keenan (I had emailed only him yesterday). He thought that the thing was being handled from the 'bike' support' department. Since the person did not seem to be handling it he took the time to make contact regarding the tire. Good on him. He is the one person that has been responding to my emails. I did include him on a couple of emails to the other person and he thought they were handling it so he didn't bother responding.

Evidently, like you knight_mare, they (WPS) want a picture of the tire to show that it has been damaged beyond repair. He said a pic of a screwdriver through the sidewall or the tire cut in half would be sufficient. Then they will send me the money. Sucks in a way though as the bike is still drivable. With that the bike will be out of commission for a couple of weeks so I will blow a lot of money driving my truck. Now I have to decide when to destroy it.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:04:30 PM »
Id say the sooner the better! 

One thought, if they are going to refund the money, and you have confirmation, why not get another tire while you are at it.
You will be out the money until the replacement $ arrives, but better than being without the bike, and you may save the money in gas anyway.  Of course thats assuming you are able to do that.  I know it would be tough for me to come up with "extra" money right now.
Say what?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
I will look into that. I have some links at home to good prices on tires, one in particular that I want to look at first, then I can make my decision. I can smell an AV46 coming my way soon.  ;)

Offline kawamark

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »
Good luck with Motorcycle Superstore.  :banghead: I'm still awaiting a resolution for a Dunlop Roadsmart front tire that the tread bubbled up on.

I sent the tire back to them at their request and at my expense on April 28th.
Mark L. Johnson

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:51:44 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:05:24 PM by knight_mare »

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
Mine isn't like that. It is still rideable, although it does have a little shake at speeds under 30mph. That is why I haven't taken any rides in awhile. By the way, I received a reply to another email I sent and they said that they cannot hold the money for me towards another tire. The way their system is set up they have to credit back the credit card. I am thinking that tomorrow evening I will destroy the tire, take a pic, and send it to them to get the ball rolling. I can always order the tire ahead of time and then just take what they send me and apply it towards the CC when it comes in. The money shouldn't be an issue from them since it really isn't their money. The money would be credited to them and then they credit it to me.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
I finally sent out the pics to them. I took six pics to show the process I went through. Keenan said "In fact the step by step is probably the best I’ve ever seen as far as showing a destroyed tire". I wanted there to be no questions. Hopefully all will get taken care of next week.

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:05:33 PM by knight_mare »

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 06:37:48 PM »
Good luck with MotorcycleSuperstore customer service, I never did get a promised refund from them more than a year ago.
 I wont be buying from them again.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Ranger

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
I got a reply today from Keenan (I had emailed only him yesterday). He thought that the thing was being handled from the 'bike' support' department. Since the person did not seem to be handling it he took the time to make contact regarding the tire. Good on him. He is the one person that has been responding to my emails. I did include him on a couple of emails to the other person and he thought they were handling it so he didn't bother responding.

Evidently, like you knight_mare, they (WPS) want a picture of the tire to show that it has been damaged beyond repair. He said a pic of a screwdriver through the sidewall or the tire cut in half would be sufficient. Then they will send me the money. Sucks in a way though as the bike is still drivable. With that the bike will be out of commission for a couple of weeks so I will blow a lot of money driving my truck. Now I have to decide when to destroy it.

Hey, if you have photoshop or similar, just take a picture of the tire and photoshop a screw driver sticking through it! Then you can still use the tire while waiting for the replacement.  ;D
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

Offline Ranger

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
Oops...guess it's too late for that.   Maybe others out there.
2002 Connie with Givi trunk, Avon tires,  7th gear mod, Heli bars, Throttlemeister, Rifle windscreen, and other junk. Love to pack up and hit the road. Thank goodness I'm recent retiree. :-)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:36:20 PM »
I thought about doing that, but I decided to do the right thing and do it for real.

Offline dvitous

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 10:05:07 PM »
Sounds kinda familiar.

I bought a Pilot Road 110/80 front from Competition Accys and I couldn't get it to seat, and neither could 2 dealers.  It was replacing a 110/80 Macadam front.

Sent it back, and they said Michelin agreed it was defective.  In the meantime, I ordered a 120.... and it fit right up.  The wife took the call that said i was gonna get refund on the first tire... then nothin.

Didn't have a name... time passed... blah blah.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a HUGE fan of mail-order... except for occasions like this when things tend to go bad.
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »
Well, my tire isn't being replaced because it was bad, even though it was, it is being replaced because of a recall by Shinko. I just got another email from Keenan and he said that the Pics that Shinko got from me were very good and that they wished they could all be like that. The money has already been given to MSS. He has told the refund department to refund the money back to my CC so very soon I will be ordering the tire. Next spring I will get a new front tire.

Offline The Other Brian

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
Well, my tire isn't being replaced because it was bad, even though it was, it is being replaced because of a recall by Shinko. I just got another email from Keenan and he said that the Pics that Shinko got from me were very good and that they wished they could all be like that. The money has already been given to MSS. He has told the refund department to refund the money back to my CC so very soon I will be ordering the tire. Next spring I will get a new front tire.

Is your front tire a Shinko 757?

If yes, it is being recalled also and Shinko will replace it.  Shinko replaced both of mine as part of the recall.  I was not having problems with either one at the time of the replacement.
Coon Rapids MN
2010 FJR 1300

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
No, it is a ME880. I truly dislike it.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 03:02:39 PM »
Just got notice that my CC has been credited for the money. As soon as it shows up I will make the new purchase, AV46.