Author Topic: Tire sizes...options?  (Read 21552 times)

Offline Lodogg2221

Tire sizes...options?
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
Hi guys.
Just got to thinking, at some point in the future, Ill need new tires.
I am wondering what sizes you guys run? 
I know the stock sizes are (on my 95) 120/80-18 and 150/80-16
As most of us know, there arent many radial options in those sizes, especially if you like to have matching tires f/r. 
Ive seen a number of guys running the larger wing size tires, 130/70-18 and 160/70/16 I think.

Are there issues in doing that?  I know there was lots of talk on the old forum about recommended rim widths, and that the Wing had the same size wheels, so it shouldnt technically be an issue, but if you ARE running those sizes, what tires do you use and why?

Or for that matter, what tires, other than Avons, in the stock sizes do you guys run? 
Say what?

Offline pat8228

Re: Tire sizes...options?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:20:21 AM »
I have Avon venom's 130/70/18 and 160/70/16 on mine. rides great. tight fit putting wheels back on, but once in place there is more than enough clearance. I didn't put radials on mine because I was told they required a wider wheel.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
I'm running the Avon AM42 Venom 160/80-16 on the rear of mine.  The Pilot GT also came in this size.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
Avon AV46 in 150/80ZR-16. Correct size for the bike.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
What about the wing sizes?  Found shinko has the SE890 Journey radial in the 'wing sizes, but Ive also heard that radials in the 'wing sizes wont fit, and they should be bias only.

I suppose I could go with bias tires, though Ive never had any experience on them, at least not that I specifically recall!
Say what?

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
What about the wing sizes?  Found shinko has the SE890 Journey radial in the 'wing sizes, but Ive also heard that radials in the 'wing sizes wont fit, and they should be bias only.

I suppose I could go with bias tires, though Ive never had any experience on them, at least not that I specifically recall!

Shinko SE890 Journey tires are not available yet...

Shinko also makes the SR733/SR734  bias-ply tires in GL1500 sizes...just checked motorcycle superstore...$164 for a set!

'02 C-10

Offline George in N Az

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
I just got rid of the Metzler front, which felt like a greasey tire. I went to a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart 120/70 18. So far I am very happy with it. I have about a 150 miles on it and I like the way it rides. I think I will try a rear of matching type next month when I can afford it.
2002 Concours various farkles,
04 Wee Strom - Killer Renthal conversion, Sonic
89 Councours

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »
On my 06, 110/80-18 Metzeler Roadtec Z6 with Azaro 150/80-16 on the rear. When the Azaro wears out, the front will also be due for replacement and this time it will be a Michelin Pilot Road 2 as the Z6 Roadtec is hard to get here OTP.
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »
Just FYI, sent an email to Shinko asking about release date for the 890s, they say they are testing now and hope to have them available mid to late Summer! 
Good news for me! 

Say what?

Offline kawamark

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
Just FYI, sent an email to Shinko asking about release date for the 890s, they say they are testing now and hope to have them available mid to late Summer! 
Good news for me!

FWIW...

http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=72

SE890 JOURNEY TOURING RADIAL
STREET / CRUISER TIRE
The SE890 Journey touring radial is designed for larger touring bikes and cruisers with its versatile all-weather tread pattern. Available in sizes for Honda Valkyrie and Honda GL1500/1800 Gold Wing models.

•5 Ply tread, 3 ply sidewall
•Aramid belted, radial construction
•H Speed Rating (130 mph) tubeless
Size Retail Price

150/80R17 Front TBA
130/70R18 Front TBA
160/80R16 Rear TBA
180/60R16 Rear TBA
180/70R17 Rear TBA

Mark L. Johnson

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00:24 AM »
Avon roadrider in 110/80 measures 116 on the front with excellent turn-in and great stability.  I just can't put a 2 sizes bigger tire on the front and justify it in my head. 
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Avon roadrider in 110/80 measures 116 on the front with excellent turn-in and great stability.  I just can't put a 2 sizes bigger tire on the front and justify it in my head.

I understand what your talking about. I've never mounted a 130 front on any of my Concours but I have ridden a few which had the 130 fitted on the front. In all honesty I wouldn't ride a Concours if I had to run that oversize tire on the front. IMO it absolutely ruins a very sweet turning motorcycle, it's capable of so much more than that tire enables it to do.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
I understand what your talking about. I've never mounted a 130 front on any of my Concours but I have ridden a few which had the 130 fitted on the front. In all honesty I wouldn't ride a Concours if I had to run that oversize tire on the front. IMO it absolutely ruins a very sweet turning motorcycle, it's capable of so much more than that tire enables it to do.

Well, thats the point of my post, to find out my options.
So, what tires do you run???
Say what?

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »

With all due respect, I think that's a little misleading.   :)

The Wing sized tires -- at least the Pilot GT -- don't handle any worse than comparable smaller sized touring tires.... you simply need to apply more effort to get the same level of handling.  You'll start dragging Connie's metal bits long before the Pilot GTs are going to loose their grip... even in rain.  I found the Pilot GTs to be exceptionally confidence inspiring right out of the box, but others have taken a while to build confidence with them... confidence is a subjective thing.

Personally, I like the heavier steering that the Wing size tires afford.  They definitely reduce the "flickablity" of the bike, but not the handling... IMHO.   :)
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »

The Wing sized tires -- at least the Pilot GT -- don't handle any worse than comparable smaller sized touring tires.... you simply need to apply more effort to get the same level of handling.  You'll start dragging Connie's metal bits long before the Pilot GTs are going to loose their grip... even in rain.  I found the Pilot GTs to be exceptionally confidence inspiring right out of the box, but others have taken a while to build confidence with them... confidence is a subjective thing.

Personally, I like the heavier steering that the Wing size tires afford.  They definitely reduce the "flickablity" of the bike, but not the handling... IMHO.   :)
:goodpost: Very well said.  I am going to miss the GT's.  I also liked the heavier steering.  It made the bike super rock solid on the flat slab and yet I could grind off pegs in the twisties

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »

I don't know about you but I consider anything that increases the effort required to initiate a turn, and anything that reduces the loss of "flickability" to be a pronounced loss of handling. I also find the loss of feel in the front end due to the dampening effect of the heavy tire to be unacceptable.

Any discussion of Michelin Pilot GT's actually is valueless at this point in time. Michelin abandoned you Wing size tire guys, just like they abandoned those of us who run stock size tires.

Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
Well, thats the point of my post, to find out my options.
So, what tires do you run???

I run the Avon Storm II ultra on the front in the 110/80/18 size along with the Avon Azaro on the rear in the 150/80/16 size. I ran them on my 2000 and now run them on my 2006. The Storm II ultra is an amazingly good front tire on the C10, excellent feel, precise steering, great feedback and very good mileage.
The front likes to be aired up to 42psi and to get the best results from them you do have to get your suspension set up correctly.

I realize that many don't care for the life of the rear Azaro. I tolerate it because I just like the handling of the tire better than I do anything else out there.
A good friend of mine is running a little experiment right now with the Avon Storm II front in the 110 size and the Avon Venom in the 160/80/16 rear. I've ridden the bike and other than the fact I can detect the rear turning a little slower than the front it feels pretty good. He has about 3500 miles on the combo and the tires seem to be wearing well. He can't feel the slower turning rear but I can. I'm an everyday rider (don't do 4 wheel things) so I stay a little more in tune with my bike than many. I think this combination might just be the thing for many who just couldn't live with the life expectancy of the Azaro rear.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
Thanks Don.  Thats what I was looking for.

I like the Storm II on the front, but the Azaro wear on the rear is awful.
I got more miles out of sport/performance tires on my old sport bikes!

I guess Im hoping the Storm IIIs are on the way soon, as that or the dual compound Azaro is probably what Id go with next, to be completely honest. 

I wish there were more radial choices in the stock sizes, but there arent, and its not likely there will be.  I have seen a few new cruiser types with this same size rear, but I dont think most of them are radials.
Say what?

Offline medicevans

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
Shinko SE890 Journey tires are not available yet...

Shinko also makes the SR733/SR734  bias-ply tires in GL1500 sizes...just checked motorcycle superstore...$164 for a set!
I started a thread about this very set of tires. No one had anything to say about them. I am interested in them too. However the SE890s have me intrigued.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »
I started a thread about this very set of tires. No one had anything to say about them. I am interested in them too. However the SE890s have me intrigued.

Keep in mind that 130/70/18 front radial requires a wider rim than you have on your Concours.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.