Author Topic: Changing Tires  (Read 10167 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Changing Tires
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:01:31 AM »
I'm not sure if this should go in this section or not.  What are you guys using to change tires now that the HF tire changer seems to be out of production?  Has anyone tried or purchased any of these:
The Moose tire changer
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/278/19698/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Portable-Tire-Changer.aspx
Motorsport Racing Short Portable Tire Changer
http://www.locox.com/Motocross-ATV/Motocross-Tools/Motorsport-Racing-Tire-Changer-Short-Portable

Any other ideas or changers out there?  Do anyone in the Northern VA region (100 miles) have a HF changer they want to sell?  I'll come pick it up.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
Re: Changing Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »
2 x 4 box frame.  Keeps the brake disks off the floor, easy, inexpensive, and works great.

I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:38:48 PM »
2 x 4 box frame.  Keeps the brake disks off the floor, easy, inexpensive, and works great.

What is the outer size of the box?  I've done this in the past for many years on dirtbike tires with my two pet gorillas.  Just used a piece of plywood and the garage floor.  They have since passed so i'm looking for an easier way.  I haven't tried breaking the bead on one of the connie tires yet.  Is it the same, worse, easier?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline mlf73

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
I just use the 2x4 box also.  Mine is 2' x 2' square and I framed in a box in the middle that is just over 1' square to keep things from sliding around.  I plan to remove the rotors next time though since I buggered them up and couldn't ever get them straight again.  I'm not taking chances again.  Breaking the bead is pretty easy.  Just mount a block on the wall of the garage to use as a brace.  Use a short 2x4 about 4' long and mount a short section of 2x4 about 1/3 way from one end.  Then it's just a matter of placing your box with tire/rim near your block on the wall, put the end of the 2x4 under the block and the short section of 2x4 on the bead and lever down.  Just work your way around till the bead breaks then turn the tire/rim over and do the other side.  Piece of cake.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
I just use the 2x4 box also.  Mine is 2' x 2' square and I framed in a box in the middle that is just over 1' square to keep things from sliding around.  I plan to remove the rotors next time though since I buggered them up and couldn't ever get them straight again.  I'm not taking chances again.  Breaking the bead is pretty easy.  Just mount a block on the wall of the garage to use as a brace.  Use a short 2x4 about 4' long and mount a short section of 2x4 about 1/3 way from one end.  Then it's just a matter of placing your box with tire/rim near your block on the wall, put the end of the 2x4 under the block and the short section of 2x4 on the bead and lever down.  Just work your way around till the bead breaks then turn the tire/rim over and do the other side.  Piece of cake.

Mine's the same size.

mlf73,

How did you bugger up the disks?  They shouldn't be able to touch the ground/floor.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:25:44 PM »
I hadn't heard HF quit making the changer.  Shame, mine has paid for iyself many times over. If your really feeling lazy lay your tire on the ground and creep up on the tire with your car tire. LOL it'll pop right off.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline dvitous

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »
I think you can find the original LDRider/Dave Morrow tech page on the COG website.

That's where i got my info for building the box, and making the bead-breaker lever.  Works like a champ.
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 06:02:31 AM »
I think you can find the original LDRider/Dave Morrow tech page on the COG website.

That's where i got my info for building the box, and making the bead-breaker lever.  Works like a champ.

That's where I got my info for the box and bead breaker too.  I was looking for Dave's site to provide a link yesterday, but couldn't find it.  Thanks for the hint to look at COG.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
mlf73,

How did you bugger up the disks?  They shouldn't be able to touch the ground/floor.

I think I messed them up just by bumping them with the tire irons while removing and replacing the tires.  I just ended up with way too much rubbing of the rotors on the pads/calipers after getting it all back together.  I tried the procedure to tweek them but couldn't ever get them back to a point where I didn't feel like I still had too much drag so I just ordered a new set to put on there.  I decided to go up to the 310mm's since I had room for them.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
So.  Of the original post, has anyone ever tried either of the changers I gave links too?  I need to change a tire this week probably.  Got any other models I should look at?

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
I'm not sure if this should go in this section or not.  What are you guys using to change tires now that the HF tire changer seems to be out of production?  Has anyone tried or purchased any of these:
The Moose tire changer
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/278/19698/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Portable-Tire-Changer.aspx
Motorsport Racing Short Portable Tire Changer
http://www.locox.com/Motocross-ATV/Motocross-Tools/Motorsport-Racing-Tire-Changer-Short-Portable

Any other ideas or changers out there?  Do anyone in the Northern VA region (100 miles) have a HF changer they want to sell?  I'll come pick it up.

Your 2nd link says it works on 17" and up - 1" to big for the stock rear...
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 10:05:07 PM »
It may no longer being manufactured, but I still use my HF changer. The only reason I am not using it for the back tire replacement I got is because I am not paying for the mounting of the tire, Shinko is.

Here is a tire changer that I thought the HF was modeled after:
http://www.wikco.com/mc110.html

That unit is $499. If I was going to pay that much I would probably go with the No-Mar classic for $645.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:26:53 AM by timsatx »