Author Topic: Harley $ervice  (Read 7787 times)

Offline tralfaz

• Twice removed from yesterday
Harley $ervice
« on: May 12, 2011, 05:13:47 PM »
I work at an auto repair facilty and we had one of our customers call to see if we knew of any where they could get their Harley serviced. The local dealer in the the area quoted them $750 for 2 tires and an oil change. Doesn't that sound a little high?  ???
2009 C-14
AMA MEMBER

Son of Pappy

Re: Harley $ervice
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
Not for a Harley.  Where you located?  I may have a better deal in WA State.

Offline tralfaz

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
Rhinelander WI, Up north
2009 C-14
AMA MEMBER

Offline throb

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
Ach yah hey!  That is outrageous, but considering what people are willing to spend on a Harley, which IMHO has absolutely no engineering benefits over any other bike out there, it doesn't surprise me one bit the stealership would rake someone over the coals for service.  Tell him to find an independent service guy or learn to do some of the simple stuff himself.  When you drop $15 to 20 thousand for a bike that is little more than a status symbol, expect to pay dearly for the parts too!  Tell him to sell the Harley (which are like belly-buttons; everyone has one) and buy three or four good used Connies.   8)
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline booger

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:12:23 PM »
Ach yah hey!  That is outrageous, but considering what people are willing to spend on a Harley, which IMHO has absolutely no engineering benefits over any other bike out there, it doesn't surprise me one bit the stealership would rake someone over the coals for service.  Tell him to find an independent service guy or learn to do some of the simple stuff himself.  When you drop $15 to 20 thousand for a bike that is little more than a status symbol, expect to pay dearly for the parts too!  Tell him to sell the Harley (which are like belly-buttons; everyone has one) and buy three or four good used Connies.   8)

That's definately high.  When I had my  06 Road King the labor charges at the dealer was comparable to any metric bike dealer.....and both are high.

I never had my RK in the shop, except for maintenence.  I can say the same for my Kwak ZX-10R, that was in the shop in the first 200 miles.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
Interestingly enough, I was talking to a guy who works the parts desk at a Harley dealership in WI and he only makes $10/hr and some of the techs are only making $12/hr!   :o    I guess there is such a desire for people to work at the Harley places around here they can pay close to nothing.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »
But at the HD shop you get HD branded tires and oil.
Go to the local Hon/Yam/Suz/Tri/Guz/Kaw dealer and get the same Dunlop tires for about $200 and an hour's labor to mount if on the bike.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:15:48 PM »
Thats not high to the people who can afford to ride a Harley.  They deserve it. 

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Thats not high to the people who can afford to ride a Harley.  They deserve it.

That's a silly comment.... Not all HD riders are high rolling dip $hits some enjoy 2 wheels just as much as the next guy! My best friend rides an HD to which he buys whatever tires I tell him to buy and I mount them for him, I even tell him what oil to buy too; but he does dress himself.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
not at all.

my buddy was out $400 for a new rear tire on his VTX when it blew out.
and we got out the owner of our dealerships 2 H-Ds today after 5+ years of sitting
ordered motor oil, primary oil, and filters.  it came to $178!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
I work at an auto repair facilty and we had one of our customers call to see if we knew of any where they could get their Harley serviced. The local dealer in the the area quoted them $750 for 2 tires and an oil change. Doesn't that sound a little high?  ???

WAY high. Any m/c dealer can get the exact same tires and install them. It ain't rocket science. Oil is oil. The owner can't even do his own oil change?  :o

Offline tralfaz

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »
It was a lady that called about her daughter's bike.
2009 C-14
AMA MEMBER

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:28 PM »
Man ! I would call that scamming ! No way that is so much. I take my HD to a local HD mechanic and he has always been good to me. $50 to mount and balance both tires the last time I did - I buy the tires or tell him what to get. He even installed a PM Phatail kit on my bike (since I do not ride it as often, might as well make it look all pretty) and labor was only about $500.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:31:15 AM »
Too high. But as stated, you got to get those "Harley" tires, which by the way have the all important HD logo molded right into the tire using space age technology, and of course you got to buy that special straight 50wt HD logo V-twin oil that must be used that goes for quite a bit more than the same stuff in non-HD oil containers. So, lets see, special HD tires, mounted, balanced labor, what, $180 per tire, plus tax, M&B $35 per tire, hey, special logo tire require special handling right? That oil has got to cost 3 times the usual amount, so lets see, $30/qt? 4 qts? We're up to almost $600 now, special HD logo oil filter, got be 4 times regular price, so lets call it $15, various other costs and yadda, yadda, yadda, We're at almost $700. So yeah, $750 is too much by almost $50, thats a tank of special HD 104 octane V-twin gas that make way more sound than regular 87 octane. My biting satire is a bit apparent huh?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
For that money, I'll ride out to WI from Maine with a couple of tires, and a gallon of oil and change them for your customer.   ;D

Seriously though, I would guess that quote also included a recommended interval service... but the customer didn't understand that.  But just a guess
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

YoDoc

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
Really now, kawasaki oem parts are just as expensive. The local dealer here wants 60 bucks a pair for OEM front brake pads. Dealership work is always expensive. They want $140 to do a Oil and coolant change, and you KNOW they aren't gonna flush it out.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
Dealers are like women - ya gotta try ALOT to find 1 good one ;D -Asian or American

YoDoc

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »
The one I like (not local, BTW) is a Kawasaki/Polaris dealership... Does that make it the cutest combo possible, like women? Asian-American?

Offline Bradley14

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
Sounds high but it includes retail price on 2 tires, oil/filter, + labor shop supplies, tire disposal fee,etc.
Just because you're paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
Sounds high because it is.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!