Author Topic: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?  (Read 26524 times)

Offline copdocpvd

&%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
Have had the bike a week and managed to drive off today with the damn FOB on the passenger seat and not in my pocket.  Re-traced my route twice, it's gone.

I found some older threads on replacing the FOB, and called the dealership...current rate for a new active transponder is, gulp, $299 + programming.

From what the dealer said, I can get replacement emergency/passive FOBs for about $35 and programming, downside is I have to hold it against the ignition to start the bike each time (I can live with that until I have an extra $300 lying around).  I didn't know if since last year's threads anyone has a line of less expensive options?

Thanks in advance (and shaking my head in shame)

Pete
"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: &%#$@&!!! Lost the FOB (one whole week!). Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
Been there, done that. Just be sure that no matter where you buy a replacement, individual or dealer, you must have the number that comes on the packaging of the FOB to be able to install it.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »
Look online for discount parts dealers for Kawasaki parts. I believe they are closer to $200, best price although that does not include the key that goes with the fob, if you even care or want that. And they you would have to have the key cut to work on your bike- a few more dollars. Also be aware that a dealer might not be too happy about (read: they will not) programming the bike to recognize the fob you purchased somewhere else.

So if that price includes the key and the key cut for your bike, it is not all that bad really. Programming the bike usually seems to run around 1/2 hour of labor but you might want to ask beforehand to avoid the surprise.

If you do not want to buy the main fob (the RF or remote fob) right now, I would suggest getting the RFID or 'credit card' fob just so that you have two. The real problem comes in when you lose your LAST fob because that requires a new KiPass ECU and they are even more expensive.

Another possibility is a used KiPass ECU and fobs that go with it; they might be fairly cheap now. But be careful because there is no way to know for sure that the fobs work with the ECU until it is in the bike and the bike is programmed to recognize it.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Brian

Have had the bike a week and managed to drive off today with the damn FOB on the passenger seat and not in my pocket.  Re-traced my route twice, it's gone.

I found some older threads on replacing the FOB, and called the dealership...current rate for a new active transponder is, gulp, $299 + programming.

From what the dealer said, I can get replacement emergency/passive FOBs for about $35 and programming, downside is I have to hold it against the ignition to start the bike each time (I can live with that until I have an extra $300 lying around).  I didn't know if since last year's threads anyone has a line of less expensive options?

Thanks in advance (and shaking my head in shame)

Pete
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
You should have been given 2 fobs at purchase, one active fob, and one passive one....if you didn't, the dealer has the passive one, and it belongs to you...
you cannot get either and get it programmed, without having at least one fob....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »
I have the thin, "emergency"/spare (passive) FOB, have ordered two extras (at $35 each).

Will I have that nasty red light and "transponder missing" message every damn time I ride now, or will using the spare/passive FOB allow me to start and run the beast as normal?

Damn, I had my eye on so many better farkles for $300 worth of IRS refund this spring!

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
I saw this on a facebook page a few minutes ago:

Need to pass this on to others. Just bought a Concours 14 with one key fob. Now living in the middle of nowhere and the closest dealership is 60 miles away. I was looking for other options besides buying another fob and having it programmed. Answer is the local hardware store clones RFID keys and they were able to read the fob and clone a Ford truck key with the same ID. Tested it and it worked , which I hid on the bike for a spare. Cost $50.00 with no programming fee. FYI

I wonder if I could even do that if all I have is the passive spare FOB.  I'm guessing whatever "reader" is used is inside the store, which wouldn't work with the passive?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »
No, the system knows when you start the bike with the RFID fob and will not generate any warnings about 'not "seeing" the transponder' afterwards.

Yet another option is to glue the fob to the front of the ignition switch housing and just take the key with you when you leave the bike. That is what someone did a long time ago to get around dealing with KiPass (although KiPass is still there and operating of course). The only downsides that I can think of is that you  cannot lock the forks and remove the key. Otherwise, that method does allow the bike to be used as a conventional bike via the key.... Just a thought.

Brian

<snip>

Will I have that nasty red light and "transponder missing" message every damn time I ride now, or will using the spare/passive FOB allow me to start and run the beast as normal?

Damn, I had my eye on so many better farkles for $300 worth of IRS refund this spring!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:29:17 PM »
It might work. Some automotive systems use an RFID inductor in the key and that is quite similar to the RFID fob on a C-14. ??

Brian

Need to pass this on to others. Just bought a Concours 14 with one key fob. Now living in the middle of nowhere and the closest dealership is 60 miles away. I was looking for other options besides buying another fob and having it programmed. Answer is the local hardware store clones RFID keys and they were able to read the fob and clone a Ford truck key with the same ID. Tested it and it worked , which I hid on the bike for a spare. Cost $50.00 with no programming fee. FYI

I wonder if I could even do that if all I have is the passive spare FOB.  I'm guessing whatever "reader" is used is inside the store, which wouldn't work with the passive?

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:30:27 PM »

Interesting... now we just need someone on this board to duplicate the results, and we would have a good backup plan.

Long live KiPass!
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

omcrider

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »
Oh man that sucks, big fear here as I am not a fan of all this technology in the bike and I dread losing a FOB. I guess I should practice with the small credit card fob just so I know how it works if the time ever comes.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:24:02 PM »
Oh man that sucks, big fear here as I am not a fan of all this technology in the bike and I dread losing a FOB. I guess I should practice with the small credit card fob just so I know how it works if the time ever comes.

at 1/10th the price, might be a good idea

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 05:07:22 PM »

Follow my advice for the future, if you replace your active FOB.  Have a metal key made- $4.  Put THAT in your pocket (or the passive fob and key).  Put your active FOB in a zippered pocket in your jacket and NEVER TAKE IT OUT... it is highly unlikely you will not have your riding jacket with you or leave it behind  :)  Only issue is in the summer, if you want to leave the jacket locked in the bike... that is a no-no, since it would be in range of the ignition and allow someone to start the bike.  In those rare cases, I move the active FOB to my pocket.

As for the price... yep, it is a rip off.  But same ripoff for most cars now too.  They really should include TWO active fobs and one passive.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »
Just curious but I have to ask- why was the fob on the bike's seat in the first place? Why was the fob outside of your pocket at all?

I am curious because I cannot think of any reason why the fob would be, for lack of a better word, 'loose'. ?? Put the fob in a pants pocket,  just like a wallet, transfer it from pair of pants to next pair of pants and all will be well.... forever.

Brian

Pete

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »
Yeah, I respectfully disagree for some of those very reasons you mention- leaving a jacket on the bike, switching jackets (I have three I use under different circumstances), etc.

Put the RF fob in a front pants pocket and leave it there.... forever. Be done with it. Sure, you will have it at weddings, outside late at night, baying at the moon, etc., etc. but who cares? It is not heavy, it is not obtrusive and it always works fantastic in a pants pocket 'cause it is close to the RF receiver, which is under the seat. Most men learn to carry a wallet and not lose it- treat the fob the same way and all will be well.

I frankly cannot think of a reason to move a fob around to different gear, wear it around one's neck on a lanyard or anything else.

Brian

Follow my advice for the future, if you replace your active FOB.  Have a metal key made- $4.  Put THAT in your pocket (or the passive fob and key).  Put your active FOB in a zippered pocket in your jacket and NEVER TAKE IT OUT... it is highly unlikely you will not have your riding jacket with you or leave it behind  :)  Only issue is in the summer, if you want to leave the jacket locked in the bike... that is a no-no, since it would be in range of the ignition and allow someone to start the bike.  In those rare cases, I move the active FOB to my pocket.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »
Just curious but I have to ask- why was the fob on the bike's seat in the first place? Why was the fob outside of your pocket at all?

I am curious because I cannot think of any reason why the fob would be, for lack of a better word, 'loose'. ?? Put the fob in a pants pocket,  just like a wallet, transfer it from pair of pants to next pair of pants and all will be well.... forever.

Brian

:goodpost:

+1...

Offline clogan

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
If any of you guys long for the good old days of "key-operated" motorcycles, do this:

Put your active fob in the glove box, AND LEAVE IT THERE, for cryin out loud. That way, it never gets lost. If you really get worried about security when you park, take the stove knob key with you. Then the bike "works" just like an old fashioned key-operated bike. If you lose the stove knob key, get another one cut from the key in your passive fob for a couple of bucks. Just like the good old days!

2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
...but...but the keyhole might get wet causing the ignition to malfunction when the spring fails to operate properly leaving you stranded til you find the proper K-Rock with which to initiate the start sequence which doesn't work do to a Kipass issue.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »

Brian

I installed a passenger backrest, footpeg lowers and handlebar risers this weekend, it was about 120 degrees in my garage, so I was in shorts, and needed to turn the ignition to "on" multiple times as I adjusted the brake switch.

Either way it's a pain in the ass, I have a mesh jacket that I wear 80% of the time, a goretex riding jacket for possible rain and if it's too cold and a couple leather jackets for when it's too cold for the mesh.  we can have 40's here one day and 90's the next, so the idea of "put it in your jacket pocket and never take it out" doesn't quite work.

I just came off 12 years of riding motorcycles with a regular key, it was an honest goof.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 07:27:29 PM »
I think we miss-communicated there Jeff: I was not criticizing you or saying you did anything wrong. I am honestly trying to understand how the whole fob thing goes wrong. So if you took my tone as accusatory, please understand that was not and is not my intention.

By the way, I did not say put it in your jacket pocket and forget it- I too use different jackets and that would not work well for me either. I put the fob in my pants pocket. Again, exactly the same way most males manage a wallet.

And I too occasionally work on the bike in shorts and again, I put the fob in my shorts pocket when doing so. As I do not ride in shorts (ever- it would scare too many people), if I forget the fob in my shorts the bike simply would not start the next time I tried to use it.

Brian

I installed a passenger backrest, footpeg lowers and handlebar risers this weekend, it was about 120 degrees in my garage, so I was in shorts, and needed to turn the ignition to "on" multiple times as I adjusted the brake switch.

Either way it's a pain in the ass, I have a mesh jacket that I wear 80% of the time, a goretex riding jacket for possible rain and if it's too cold and a couple leather jackets for when it's too cold for the mesh.  we can have 40's here one day and 90's the next, so the idea of "put it in your jacket pocket and never take it out" doesn't quite work.

I just came off 12 years of riding motorcycles with a regular key, it was an honest goof.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »
If any of you guys long for the good old days of "key-operated" motorcycles, do this:

Put your active fob in the glove box, AND LEAVE IT THERE, for cryin out loud. That way, it never gets lost. If you really get worried about security when you park, take the stove knob key with you. Then the bike "works" just like an old fashioned key-operated bike. If you lose the stove knob key, get another one cut from the key in your passive fob for a couple of bucks. Just like the good old days!

Is that what you do? I saw a Connie at a BMW dealer where they left the fob in the glove box. I asked the sales guy about that security wise as they rolled it out by the road every day and left it for folks to look at. Seemed to me that with it in the glove box anyone in the know could jump on it and ride. He said no problem as not many folks know bout the active fob situation.....but he asked me how often I had to change the batts in my fob  as they had gone through a couple in just the few months they had it in on trade.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt