Author Topic: Broke the windshield bracket yesterday  (Read 14073 times)

Offline Kidfastball

Broke the windshield bracket yesterday
« on: December 31, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
I was going North into a head wind, and I reckon the taller windscreen just had too much force on it.  The bracket that goes between the two mounts for the windshield broke.  It broke at the bottom tab that rides on the center channel when the windscreen moves up and down.

The only part I can find is the entire assembly, motor and all (55036-0003) on most of the sites and at the dealership.  It is ~$650, give or take.

All I want is the bracket only.  Anyone know a way to find it?  I've been searching for motorcycle junk yards but haven't found anything that way yet either.

Thanks for the help.
2010 C14 - 15K miles, Pilot Road 4s, V&H Slip-on

Offline BackInTheSaddle

Re: Broke the windshield bracket yesterday
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:03:10 AM »
Same thing happened to me and I had the whole assembly replaced under warranty.  I just made sure that the stock screen was back on when I took it in.  Not and uncommon fail.  There is a forum member who fabricated a stronger fix, try some searching.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline rotorbike

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
Modified and welded mine back together.....

Do you still have the plastic bit? Otherwise its buying the complete unit.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »
mine did the same
put the stock screen on and Kawasaki replaced under warranty
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline Kidfastball

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
I bought her used, and tried to get the extended warranty but it was one month too late.
I haven't been able to find the price that broke off either.
I'll do some more searching and see if I can find the new fabricated piece.
2010 C14 - 15K miles, Pilot Road 4s, V&H Slip-on

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 08:37:37 PM »
There was a repair done in Australia

http://gtr1000.yuku.com/repl/40608/Broken-Screen-spport-bracket-advive-pease#reply-40608

http://gtr1000.yuku.com/topic/5629/Broken-Screen-support-bracket-advice-please#.VKb-e8mE130

looked good found on the other forum posted reply #5 under windshield problem by bleaves on February 06, 2014
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:35:52 PM by maxtog »

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
You might want to check this thread:

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=873.0

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
Try RUBBERSIDEUP.COM
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 03:31:48 AM »
Hey Kid, there's someone that's getting ready to part out a C14. They currently have an engine for sale in the For Sale section. You might want to send them a pm to see if that have the part that you're looking for.

Here's a link to their post: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=18819.0
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline JhVenezuela

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 06:33:59 AM »
Modified and welded mine back together.....

+1

I did the same.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
I have the huge C Baily ultra and have been speeds so fast at high speed in an off road safe environment. I have to believe to break, the part has to be weak or defective (not wind related in any way).  Trust me on this  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 09:18:10 AM »
I worry about mine also. Have CB Ultra as well and have been to 130 with it. Not broken yet. (knock knock knock)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »
I worry about mine also. Have CB Ultra as well and have been to 130 with it. Not broken yet. (knock knock knock)

It is possible that it is not top speed runs, but vibration multiplied by time causing metal fatigue and then failure.  Of course, a larger windshield means more weight and more force on the parts... combine that with the above and the possibility of failure increases.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »
I rarely had the stock screen in any position other than the lowest.  Now that I have the MRA vario, it is even lower.  Loving it and makes riding this bike in warmer weather tolerable.

Thanks for an unrelated confirmation of my choice to keep the screen small.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 04:48:52 AM »
One has to think that they didn't do any upgrades to the parts since day one of the bike and the stock shield was quite short indeed when the bike came out.  Virtually no loading on the mechanism compared to the larger shields, I would think.  It would be interesting to compare mechanisms from the gen1 to the gen2 bikes, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 06:19:12 AM »
It is possible that it is not top speed runs, but vibration multiplied by time causing metal fatigue and then failure.  Of course, a larger windshield means more weight and more force on the parts... combine that with the above and the possibility of failure increases.

That may be the case, but my huge C Baily has been on for >90,000 miles, has been off-roaded, bridge blasted, and hit every pot hole between Montreal and Los Angeles,  and hasn't given up.  Of course it may tomorrow....     but so far so good.  I think its a quality issue.

'course I also keep a fresh FOB battery in whether it needs changing or not
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 06:24:12 AM »
That goes without saying, Steve.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »
That goes without saying, Steve.
Please.  ;)