Author Topic: My windshield assembly broke!  (Read 10167 times)

Offline Iron53man

My windshield assembly broke!
« on: September 18, 2015, 06:46:32 AM »
anyone have a windshield assembly for sale? not lookin to spend $700 on them and not sure if my service contract will cover it... here's the story in case y'all have any ideas how or why it snapped, i assume just from being 7 years old or whatever...

So this past weekend i went on my first big trip on the connie. on my way back i was on one of those two lane (one lane each way) highways goin about 55 or 60 mph with a 20-25 mph crosswind. i had my windshield about halfway up when 3 semi's in a row passed by me and blew GIANT gusts of wind, i mean i got rocked all the way to the shoulder almost. well, when the third semi went by and the gust of wind i just heard a giant crack and my windshield kinda fell against the console where the gauges are so i had to pull over and lowered it down. all those pushpin like screws that hold the front upper fairings on broke off and are no where to be found now. well, i zip tied it all together (clearly not able to raise it up and down now) and finished the 3 hour drive in the heavy wind with a ridiculous amount of wind noise and buffeting, but coming from the supersport bike class i'm used to that, thank gosh. well a few nights ago i spent taking the front end apart tryin to figure out what's wrong... looks like there is a guide that attaches to the middle piece which is attached to the assembly is actually one solid piece, not screwed or bolted. well, the guide broke off from that track, which broke off from the main assembly that bolts to the frame. and so here we are... with no way to fix it as i can't weld it either cuz it's plastic (might be able to get a plastic type weld done by someone)... but either way, not sure if it's cuz it's a faulty piece and that plastics not too strong or if it's wear over time, or just my stupidity for not getting the windshield back down before the semi came by...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: My windshield assembly broke!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 06:57:46 AM »
What shield were you running? Have you got pics?

Offline Iron53man

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 07:02:59 AM »
I don't have any pics of the part that broke right now, it's with my mechanic as he's discussing with my service contract provider about getting it all covered, but we aren't sure if they will. I also have no idea what windshield it is, as it was on the bike when I bought it and seems to have no manufacturer/company logo on it that I can find, but here's some pics of the windshield when I got it, it's giant!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 07:29:54 AM »
You're right...it's huge. might be the problem. Would like to see a pic of the broken part sometime. It sounds like your service contract is not a Kawasaki factory warranty. Have you checked salvage and ebay?

Offline Iron53man

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:32:08 AM »
it's definitely not a factory/kawasaki one as I bought it used. It is a Used Powersports service contract through a place called Etho's Group. I've been on the phone with them all day yesterday trying to figure it out, but until they talk to my mechanic they can't do anything about it so I'm lookin around for the part just in case... ebay looked decent, maybe $600 or so if i remember right... which is a lot but still better than $700.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 07:42:46 AM »
Looks like you have an 08 and it comes with a pretty small shield.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

elp_jc

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
It's not only HUGE, but with a severe reverse curvature, even lowered all the way. The only thing I can tell you is it could happen all over again man. You need to replace that windscreen with something less radical. The entire mechanism is marginal on this bike. Was going to ask you to operate the mechanism now that you removed the windscreen and bracket, to make sure it wasn't damaged too. Good luck.

Offline Iron53man

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
replacing it was on my list, just hadn't got to it yet. just today i got the V-Stream windshield, hopefully that'll help with it, also it'll look a little better as well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:28 AM »
It's not only HUGE, but with a severe reverse curvature, even lowered all the way. The only thing I can tell you is it could happen all over again man. You need to replace that windscreen with something less radical. The entire mechanism is marginal on this bike. Was going to ask you to operate the mechanism now that you removed the windscreen and bracket, to make sure it wasn't damaged too. Good luck.

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »
You might want to search this forum for a stronger fix to your current mechanism.  I remember reading about fabrication/installation of metal guides to replace the plastic originals.  I had my whole mechanism replaced under warranty and the tech suggested to me that I put the stock screen on when I took it in so that Moma Kawi didn't question my larger that stock screen as the cause.  Now I always worry about breaking the guides again with my tall screen back on.  And I agree that it is gusts of wind that causes the breaks, not the constant pressure of the bigger screen.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 10:17:52 AM »
I live in fear of this happening with my CB Ultra Tour screen. 60,000 miles and its still working (knocking on wood).

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
Bet I am going to catch a cuff or two for this but.... when I pass a large truck or similar, I reach up and hold the windshield to stop the worst of the violent shaking. My windshield is a CalSci large, with an MRA visor on top of that so the whole thing is very large and it does dance around quite badly with any kind of buffeting wind.

I know this is horribly unsafe but in my own defense, I do not use the same hand that I do when I fuel the bike while sitting on it.... so I am spreading the risk equally between hands, which I figure cuts my risk of getting hurt in half.

Brian

I live in fear of this happening with my CB Ultra Tour screen. 60,000 miles and its still working (knocking on wood).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
BDF, yea, I can see where some will fault you for safety, but it works for you so do it.
I assume you don't do this if your concerned with other factors at the time.

I've wondered about shields and mechanism failing on the C-14 since I bought mine.
The shield (when raised) is in a heck of a strain at high speeds. (even with stock shield)

Does Kawasaki specify anything about what speeds it can be raised?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 01:40:56 PM »
I can tell you that the stock windshield in the all the way up position will do just fine in a 170MPH breeze....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 02:10:32 PM »
I believe we are not supposed to move the windshield while the bike is moving, at least I have heard others say that although I do not remember reading it in the OM myself. ?? 

If you mean how high the windshield can be at what speed, or if there is a speed limit with the windshield fully raised, I do not believe so. All the way up at any speed with the stock windshield should be fine  although Kawasaki may take issue if the bike was going way, way over any highway speed limit in the US. Of course that would not hold water in Germany for example 'cause there is no speed limit on parts of the Autobahn, and they sell the same windshield / windshield mechanism on the C-14's they sell there.

I was one of the very first people to get a CalSci large, and Mark (owner of CalSci) asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that because in his opinion, the windshield mechanism on a C-14 was awfully light for such a large screen. As he has seen lots of motorcycle windshield mounting systems, I take his opinion with some value. That said, it seems that relatively few windshield mechanisms have actually broken, and I believe all that I have heard of breaking were wearing a larger (often much larger) windshield than stock. With the visor on top, mine is about 10" larger (Easy Boys!) than the stock Gen. 1 windshield and at highway speeds when it gets buffeted, I believe either the windshield or mechanism would have broken by now if I did not steady it a bit; it really does bounce around awfully violently. It is kinda' like drinking that stuff you make, we were all a bit surprised that nobody went blind....  ;) :rotflmao:

Brian

BDF, yea, I can see where some will fault you for safety, but it works for you so do it.
I assume you don't do this if your concerned with other factors at the time.

I've wondered about shields and mechanism failing on the C-14 since I bought mine.
The shield (when raised) is in a heck of a strain at high speeds. (even with stock shield)

Does Kawasaki specify anything about what speeds it can be raised?

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »
I can tell you that the stock windshield in the all the way up position will do just fine in a 170MPH breeze....

Yea, I have no problems with the stock screen, which is gen2 and larger than the small gen1.... at any speed.  AND with the X-creen attached to the top, too.  At least no problems so far...

But that monster he has is not stock.  And what an incredible angle on that thing.  If I were Kawasaki and saw that screen, "warranty denied"!  Of course, it doesn't sound like this is a factory warranty thing, anyway.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Iron53man

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
I would never have bought a screen like that if it was my original bike. but the pre-owned contract covers the bike "as is" and is valid unless i, personally, change anything else from the way i bought it... not sure how they track whether it was on there when i bought it or not, but as of now the contract company said it is going to be something they can cover. just waiting to here back for confirmation.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
I would never have bought a screen like that if it was my original bike. but the pre-owned contract covers the bike "as is" and is valid unless i, personally, change anything else from the way i bought it... not sure how they track whether it was on there when i bought it or not, but as of now the contract company said it is going to be something they can cover. just waiting to here back for confirmation.

That's great news and somewhat unexpected from an aftermarket warranty company. Good luck.

If it happens that the broken assembly is returned to you I would cover shipping to have it.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 03:49:09 PM »
I suspect the 155 mph limiter on the Gen 2 bikes is due to the limit of the larger gen 2 wind screen. My limiter is gone but I never expect to test this theory. I do know the CB Ultra Tour is ok at 130 mph in calm air.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
I suspect the 155 mph limiter on the Gen 2 bikes is due to the limit of the larger gen 2 wind screen. My limiter is gone but I never expect to test this theory. I do know the CB Ultra Tour is ok at 130 mph in calm air.

My bike is a 2012 Gen 2. Right after I had it shipped to Germany.. Cough Cough... and got it out on the autobahn the stock windshield suffered no damage topping out at 170 but then again I didn't have it there for any extended amount of time. I thought the 155 limiter was a regulatory thing? No? Brian's gift certificate for Ghul that I won at least years fall rally took care of my limiter.