Author Topic: Windshield mechanism - Exploded view drawing  (Read 6923 times)

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
Windshield mechanism - Exploded view drawing
« on: January 29, 2017, 09:56:06 PM »
Does anybody perhaps have an exploded view drawing of the windshield mechanism for a 2008 Connie? I've trolled the internet and can't seem to find one. I also do not own a manual for the bike.

Reason I'm asking, is that I noticed that the entire windshield is loose after the drop I had in December '16. The brackets that the shield bolts to, seems to be broken at the bottom, but I hope and pray that is is an easy fix, and I don't need to replace the entire mechanism.

If I have to replace the mechanism, I'm definitely going through my insurance. I've already priced the repairs to the fairings at R2500 ($179), and we have seen on another thread that the mirror plastics can't be bought separately, and a mirror here costs R2050 ($146).

Any assistance with the drawing would be greatly appreciated.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Windshield mechanism - Exploded view drawing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 12:19:12 AM »
That might be hard to come by since Kawasaki treats it as an assembly rather than a mechanism to be repaired. That is the official Kawasaki solution is to replace the whole mechanism not repair it.
All I can find is the windshield parts diagram which isn't going to be much help to you.

(click image and then click resulting image for full size)

Not sure what you've broken but this thread may be of some help. Check out post #22 on page two of that thread from your neck of the woods (well at 1000+ kilometers it's relative, compared to say where I am.)

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:07:13 AM »
Thanks FM, that helped a lot. Tried the local dealer, and came back with a price of R11000.00 ($786) :yikes: :yikes: :doh: :doh:

Gotta buy then entire assemble.... Looks like I'll be going through my insurance on the one..... :-X :-X

Quick recap :

repairs fearings (which I have to strip off) : R2500 ($179)
replace complete mirror:                             R 2050 ($146)
windshield mechanism:                               R11000 ($786)

Total cost:                                                   R 15550 ($1110) Excluding labour

Excess on my insurance is 5% of claim value. Call it R20 000 ($1430) including labour, I'm looking at R1000 ($72) to pay.
No brainer!!!!

Damn expensive slip that was .... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:54:41 AM by Hooligan »
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 03:04:11 AM »
Good luck with the repairs my brother...R1K co-payment is definately a no brainer!! :thumbs: Take off that barn door, or cut it down a tad to take some of the strain off the mechanism. Better still, go back to standard with maybe one of those laminar lip things to deflect the wind. Hope they sort it out quickly for you.  :)

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 11:34:36 PM »
Hooligan,
More than likely, you've got a broken rear tab that rides the vertical rail on the large brown "Y" bracket. Slop at the top of the screen's a definite sign. If it moves back and forth about an inch, it's probably cracked and opening the gap. If it moves 5-6" at the top, it's broken.

Having to spend close to $800 for an entire "assembly" to get one part stinks, and hurts!

But... what can you do? Unless you could find a good one from someone parting a bike out or from a salvage... you don't have a lot of choices. They got ya over the proverbial barrel.

I feel your pain... BTDT. That little tab on the brown Y bracket that rides the vertical rail is DEFINITELY the weak point of the C14 windscreen. Takes less than 10 minutes to change that part out, but a whole lot longer to change out the entire mechanism, which comes with a new motor.

When mine broke, I was able to drill the brown Y bracket 2 directions, and add a piece of fabbed a replacement metal to temporarily repair mine until I could get it replaced. BUT... clearances are pretty tight, and getting something bolted to replace that molded cast aluminum tab was a challenge.
But, it is possible. It's just close quarters where it has to clear the plastic guard on the electric motor.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you, too. Good luck with your repair.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Freddy

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:12:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys, it is appreciated.

Well I went to the agents this morning in order to get a quote for the repairs.  I was quite surprised t see that the OEM screen is R4350 ($310).

I have submitted the quote and claims forms to the insurance, as all the damages came to roughly R27K ($1930). My portion is R1350 ($96), so it was a no brainer.

Guess I'll be modifying  the "barn door"  that I got with my Connie ......or replacing with a smaller/curved aftermarket screen.

Gotta say though, it sucks earning in Rands (R), and having to pay in Dollars($)......but it is what it is...... :censored: :censored: :censored:
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 02:13:01 AM »
Well........ :censored: :censored:

I had the assessor from the insurance company pull in yesterday to do the inspection for the claim.... ???

She arrived armed with the quote, claim forms and a camera. she had a look at the bike, ticked off on the clip board, and took some photos, before asking....:" want a new Two Brothers can....? I see this one has some damage on it......"  :yikes:

Now who am I to say "NO".....? She then informed me that she will get a quote, and add it to the claim, before saying good-bye, getting in her car and pulling off.

Bargain.....!!!!!! Getting a new can for 5% of the cost!!!! :banana :banana :banana :banana :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :finger_fing11: :finger_fing11:

O, did I mention that I know the assessor personally.....very personally......? ;D ;D :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Just so by the way, I'll be asking for the complete windshield mechanism as well as the old can, once the repairs have been done. I'll have a new yoke*(Y-piece) made, and store it as a complete mechanism as a spare. The Can will need some tidying up, but that I can do myself. :cool: :finger_fing11: :salute:

2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 04:00:28 AM »
You're such a Hooligan.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 12:31:22 AM »
You're such a Hooligan.

I know VJ......I know...... ;D ;D :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
 ;D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 03:41:48 AM »
O, did I mention that I know the assessor personally.....very personally......? ;D ;D :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

By now you should know how it works, here: pictures, or it didn't happen  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Money cleared over the weekend, so I'll be going shopping this week.

The assessor needs to inspect the bike once the repairs are completed, as the insurance on it is "endorsed" at the moment. Meaning that if I ride the bike now (before repairs are done and proven), and get into an accident, the insurance won't pay.

Watch this space.....
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 06:56:45 AM »
This is what R10990.00 ($814) buys you.....

By the way, I went past the guys i use at work for all my engineering/machining/manufacturing requirements, and they reckon they'll be able to make another yoke. At minimum, fix the damaged one.

Guess I'll have a spare mechanism soon.

Bike going in for repairs on Monday.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 07:05:37 AM »
How about a pic of the broken part next to the new one?

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15:34 AM »

Yes!
Was it broken where mine broke, lower back side of the brown "Y" bracket?

I couldn't believe what a weak portion that area is for something so important.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »

Will post it as soon as I have it. Bike going in for the repairs on Monday.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 03:01:06 AM »

The bottom broke out as per attached. Unfortunately I also lost the piece that broke out.

I'm having my engineering guys machine it level where the edge is sticking out, and we will bolt a piece of Vesconite with a step machined it, with 3x bolts.

Once I have it back, I'll post the pics.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
I thought he was talking about a pic of the assessor!  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Hooligan

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:57 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14