Author Topic: Windshield deflector  (Read 7360 times)

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
Windshield deflector
« on: January 04, 2019, 11:24:41 AM »
Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector
This is a very worth while add-on, it's built well and inexpensive. I paid 55 bucks for mine on this very same auction, now it's 38 bucks so what a deal.
Works very good and is adjustable in all planes (or is that plains?)
This is a very good price for a bolt-on no-mod install that takes just a few minutes
It's also optically correct...

It's eBay and it is shipped from China, and shipped by speed-pak so it's pretty quick considering.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Clip-On-Windshield-Extension-Spoiler-Wind-Deflector-For-Motorcycle/223223831526?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=522019798417&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:45:57 PM by Gabriel »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Windshield deflector
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »
Wow, that appears to be a direct rip-off/knock-off of MRA:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16222.0

They are going to be PISSED :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »
Wow, that appears to be a direct rip-off/knock-off of MRA:

It's pretty close however it does not have the ugly rim around the outside.
I had one on my 2009, I bought the MRA screen and visor, it looks very different....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 01:07:40 AM »
It's pretty close however it does not have the ugly rim around the outside.

I noticed that- one of the few differences.

I had one on my 2009, I bought the MRA screen and visor, it looks very different....

Well, the one on your 2009 is a bolt-on, not clamp-on.  I spent a lot of time looking at the clamp-on mechanism and to say it is a direct copy (at least from the photos) is an understatement.  I have to wonder if they are violating any patents or if maybe they have run out at this point.

Anyway, if it is anywhere near as reliable as the MRA X-Screen, I would recommend people jump on it at that price.  The MRA really is very overpriced (and yet I would buy it again in a heartbeat at that price if I needed one and there was nothing similar.... it is just that useful).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 04:46:00 AM »
That bolt on one came with the shield.
The Chinese don't care anything about patents and who knows maybe these same people make them for MRA?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 09:44:09 AM »
That bolt on one came with the shield.
The Chinese don't care anything about patents and who knows maybe these same people make them for MRA?

That is exactly why I won't buy from thieves. "Psst...hey Buddy....wanna buy a watch?" The chicoms are thieves and worse. To each his own but I'll do without if I can't afford to buy from a legitimate business.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 10:05:43 AM »
That is exactly why I won't buy from thieves. "Psst...hey Buddy....wanna buy a watch?" The chicoms are thieves and worse. To each his own but I'll do without if I can't afford to buy from a legitimate business.

Good luck with that determination....

Offline PH14

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 10:39:38 AM »
Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoiler Wind Deflector

Works very good and is adjustable in all planes (or is that plains?)

That depends on if you are riding in the mountains, or in Kansas.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 01:16:42 PM »
Good luck with that determination....

Like I said....to each his own.

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
Like I said....to each his own.

I was speaking toward being able to tell where it came from or who made it. Most things we buy nowadays are from elsewhere.

determination; "the process of establishing something exactly, typically by calculation or research"

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
... it does not have the ugly rim around the outside.

Other than comparing a tinted MRA to a non tinted rip-off version I'm not clear on what you are referring to by an "ugly rim". I have a tinted MRA clamp on version
on my oem windshield an I'm not seeing an ugly rim but rather just a smooth rounded edge that is dark because of the tint. Even looking at your photos, all I see is the dark
edge that any tinted plastic would have....I'm really missing something here..(it's per usual for me :-[ )...but would you have them paint the edges white ?..or what exactly?  ???

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Other than comparing a tinted MRA to a non tinted rip-off version I'm not clear on what you are referring to by an "ugly rim". I have a tinted MRA clamp on version
on my oem windshield an I'm not seeing an ugly rim but rather just a smooth rounded edge that is dark because of the tint. Even looking at your photos, all I see is the dark
edge that any tinted plastic would have....I'm really missing something here..(it's per usual for me :-[ )...but would you have them paint the edges white ?..or what exactly?  ???

Yeah, you missed it somehow?
This is a blow up of one of the pictures from the link in the second post. Looks like a rim to me???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 04:21:58 PM »
Other than comparing a tinted MRA to a non tinted rip-off version I'm not clear on what you are referring to by an "ugly rim".

My clamp-on MRA X-Screen has a raised lip/bulge around the entire outer rim.  It is a bit odd, but doesn't bother me.  My assumption is that it is there for additional strength.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 06:05:20 PM »
having installed and used the Laminar Lip product, since I bought my C14 in '07, which I bought used from someone, IIRC it cost me $30... I would say I have no issue with buying the China version like you got, for a low price, on EBay...

I think MRA could sell the product for half what they priced it at, and still reap a 200% profit margin, I'm tired of vendors making prices like they do, thinking they are "selling gold"... screw them.

at $200+ for a clear, they can munch my undies....
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-screen-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08

it's a free enterprise system, and capitalism has it's rewards...

semper fi.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 06:16:25 PM »
So it's ok to download a pdf of the overpriced FSM.  8)

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 06:50:06 PM »
Well that would be stealing right? I did not steal my visor. as a matter of fact i paid 20 bucks more than the price now

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »
having installed and used the Laminar Lip product, since I bought my C14 in '07, which I bought used from someone, IIRC it cost me $30... I would say I have no issue with buying the China version like you got, for a low price, on EBay...

I think MRA could sell the product for half what they priced it at, and still reap a 200% profit margin, I'm tired of vendors making prices like they do, thinking they are "selling gold"... screw them.

at $200+ for a clear, they can munch my undies....
https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouring-screen-windshield-for-kawasaki-concours-gtr1400-08

I think that price is for the whole shield and visor, however that shield is too small and you still get a lot of buffeting. Their bolt on visor is still over 100 bucks...

it's a free enterprise system, and capitalism has it's rewards...

semper fi.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 06:56:56 PM »
 That response was for Rich's benefit. But you paid for a ripped off copy? Is that so different?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 07:03:37 PM »

sure... just don't post a link to it on a COG owned website...

I have no issue with either...

Hell, I smoked pot when I was a kid... never lied about it... like former presidents did...
helll, I INHALED the stuff...
ran with scissors, drank and drove (bad choice, never ever do that, I never will again), cursed in church, jay walked, carried firearms concealed, before it was "ok" to do so... helll, I ripped those tags off every mattress I've ever slept on...

poke a stick in someones eye...pour gasoline on the ground, and light it.... it feels good once and a while...  :hitfan: :1DeadBanana :1DeadBanana :stirpot: :stirpot: :hitfan: :hitfan: :deadhorse: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »
That response was for Rich's benefit. But you paid for a ripped off copy? Is that so different?
I had/have no idea it was a rip off, but I have to say that with that bead that runs all around I would rather have the one I bought.
How do you know that this "rip off" company was not there first???
I'll say to you what i have already said here, good luck on figuring out who what where when and how a product comes to market.
I just buy what I want where i want and I will always try to by American. MRA is an over priced German product in my opinion and I have bought a lot of MRA products. One is posted right in this thread