Author Topic: Windshield deflector  (Read 7359 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Windshield deflector
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
I’ve had more time behind my deflector and like it even more. It wasn’t the best choice of words to call it flimsy, I would have made the plastic “hardware” a little thicker but it’s probably not needed. My Givi tall screen is as flexible as newspaper so it is more of the “flimsy” description I used. Made some adjustments and it appears to do exactly what I needed.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »
There are so many different positions I think it will take a while to discover which position is best...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »
No post has needed an 'Easy Boys!' more than this one...... :-)

Brian

There are so many different positions I think it will take a while to discover which position is best...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 04:00:27 PM »
No post has needed an 'Easy Boys!' more than this one...... :-)

Brian
It never crossed my mind! Seek help soon... ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »

Brian's kidding aside....

Yep, there are lots and lots of ways you can position the deflector with regards to tilt, height, and projection.  Interestingly, after experimenting for years, it seems like I only need a few positions that generally work perfectly for the majority of riding conditions.  I actually typically keep mine rather low and just adjust the tilt- top forward for less air and backward tilt for less.

About the only time I ever raise the height of the deflector is when I am using it with my cut-down main windscreen and there is a sudden/unexpected cold snap and raising the screen high doesn't help enough (and/or lets too much air under the main screen).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »
The issue isn't that you can tell now that it hurts something, but that over time the accumulated stress could cause cracks/fractures/distortions/wear/weaknesses that will eventually cause a slow or catastrophic failure in the bracket(s).  Although far from common, we have seen such failures posted.  Yet we have no direct evidence as to the exact cause (could be a flaw in the part, or accumulated stress, or something the owner did), it is reasonable to speculate that it is more likely with lifetime stress/vibration, and/or with heavier/larger screens, and/or with higher (raised) operation.  Like most things on modern vehicles, it was designed with certain operational parameters in mind and might not have a lot of leeway for adding additional stresses.

Failure is expensive because the part(s) is/are expensive.

I did some research into this and it looks like the part that brakes is the cast lower mounting bracket.
I'm going to make an attempt to reinforce that part with carbon fiber. A lay up of carbon Kevlar and epoxy, I'll post it up when it's done. i'm waiting for the material plus I need to look at the part and see whats feasible... more to come...