Author Topic: Janus motorcycles?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Conrad

Janus motorcycles?
« on: April 15, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »
Damn it's quiet around here!

Anyone ever heard of Janus Motorcycles?

https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/

I saw their ad on another webpage and it got me curious. Not that I want one of these, just curious is all.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Janus motorcycles?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:54:08 AM »
Have now..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gbyoung

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
Damn it's quiet around here!

Anyone ever heard of Janus Motorcycles?

https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/

I saw their ad on another webpage and it got me curious. Not that I want one of these, just curious is all.

Didn't know anything about them either until a few months ago when ADV Rider had a cover story about them. One of Janus' site videos was interesting and showed how they came to be, and are flourishing deep in America's heartland. Interesting series of bikes they're putting out.

https://advrider.com/janus-motorcycles-chariot-no-longer-required/

Offline sport rider

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
Overpriced.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:59 AM »
I think for what it is, vintage look and feel, and made in the US, I don't think the price is that bad although you can pick up an Indian Scout for a bit more.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »
It is pretty pricey for what it is, but that is mostly because it is not mass-produced.  If it were, it would probably halve the price.  Of course, it wouldn't be as "special", either :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 06:19:22 AM »
Or made in the US.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
Pretty cool. Other than the disk brakes giveaway, you would think it came right out of the 30's.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
most of what you are seeing is sourced chinese parts assembled in the us.  the cost associated with this bike is Janus' employees and profit margin.a factory in china could build the same thing and import it for a lot less than what these guys are charging.  this much money for a 229cc chinese motor?  no way.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:00:05 PM »
These days, most parts are sourced from China unfortunately.  I read their FAQ on sourcing.  Too bad they can't get the engine here.  But quite a few things are sourced domestically, though.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »
Overpriced.

I dunno...
looking closely at one, and seeing the actual quality, I say it's right on par.
A couple weeks ago I saw one, caught my eye, in a parking lot when I was running errands in my truck... I had to go look, and while circling it repeatedly, looking at all the "naughty bits" and trying to see the "vin", the fellow walked up... he was kind of concerned, but all became cool within a few minutes of chatty-kathy...
besides the foreign engine, there were very few "cheapo" import parts on it, and the craftsmanship up close, was what you would expect for a hand made retro bike.. nicely done....
he said he actually got a "great deal" on it, and tho he wouldn't tell me $$$$, he noted it was substantially less than the "advertised price" (he had just bought it from an "estranged" Rich woman, who caught her not-rich Hubby, cheatin' on her, gave him "das booot", and sold all his toys...)... tried to get the guy to let me ride it around the parking lot... but I didn't have any "gear", so we exchanged phone numbers, and I promised to let him ride my C14, when we hook up on a nice day...
I also told him where I live, as he is located about 3 miles from me, and goes past my place to go anywhere, and told him to "stop in when the garage door is open, and bike is in drive..."  we'll see...
I'll let you know my impressions of it, but it DID have a cool factor, and was VERY WELL put together, sounded retro-nice, and didn't appear to be a "dog" when he rode it off...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 05:58:15 AM »
Thanks for the report Rich. Let us know when you get a chance to take a ride.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sport rider

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 09:16:23 AM »
I dunno...
looking closely at one, and seeing the actual quality, I say it's right on par.
A couple weeks ago I saw one, caught my eye, in a parking lot when I was running errands in my truck... I had to go look, and while circling it repeatedly, looking at all the "naughty bits" and trying to see the "vin", the fellow walked up... he was kind of concerned, but all became cool within a few minutes of chatty-kathy...
besides the foreign engine, there were very few "cheapo" import parts on it, and the craftsmanship up close, was what you would expect for a hand made retro bike.. nicely done....
he said he actually got a "great deal" on it, and tho he wouldn't tell me $$$$, he noted it was substantially less than the "advertised price" (he had just bought it from an "estranged" Rich woman, who caught her not-rich Hubby, cheatin' on her, gave him "das booot", and sold all his toys...)... tried to get the guy to let me ride it around the parking lot... but I didn't have any "gear", so we exchanged phone numbers, and I promised to let him ride my C14, when we hook up on a nice day...
I also told him where I live, as he is located about 3 miles from me, and goes past my place to go anywhere, and told him to "stop in when the garage door is open, and bike is in drive..."  we'll see...
I'll let you know my impressions of it, but it DID have a cool factor, and was VERY WELL put together, sounded retro-nice, and didn't appear to be a "dog" when he rode it off...

always nice to hear that the chinese stuff is improving, but I can guarentee that motor won't make anyone happy for long.  they are very good around town up to 45 mph.  pushing over that and the motor dies away.  slows down going up hills.  stuff like that.  that one appears to be counter balanced, which is a good plus compared to mine.  they are still only producing about 12 hp at the rear wheel.  one has to go into the venture with lowered expectations as to performance.  I did hear of one person that did a cross country ride.  good news is the bike/motor made it.  durability is good.  Mine developed a slight weep at the head.  nothing serious, just enough to show.  these versions are built to a slightly higher standard, so likely better.  there is a company out in Cali named CSC.  they are partnering with Chinese manufactures to build specific to their specs.  they import and sell under their brand name.  https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/  They seem to be good bikes, but are pushing the price limits for those that seek out chinese-built motorcycles for a cost effective alternative to the current market in the US.  you have to go into it eyes-wide-open as to what you get and lack of dealer support.  Those bikes do not have a large dealer network, and neither does Janis.  you're not going to ship the bike back to them for maintenance, so plan to do it yourself.  they might provide warranty parts, but you'll be installing them yourself (likely).  the cost of the Janis is too high (to me) for the ownership work you take on.  I've seen some new chinese stuff lately in the 350 to 450 cc range that I think suits our market better...read that, 55 mph +.  China has been focused for many years on the 2nd and 3rd world markets where highway systems and high speeds are....well...nonexistant.

all of this only my opinion, of course.  based on what I've experienced to far.  don't think I'm not in favor of these bikes, just they have their place and price points in the US market.  if that Janus bike had a 350 or 450 in it at that price point, it would be a more attractive deal.  Perhaps I'll run into an ex-wife offing a good deal on one.  :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
Yes if this thing were massed produced like a Honda, could probably price it 20% less. But this is pretty small time production I would think. So yes a $7,000 toy but if you got money to burn and really want the retro 30's look....

Yeah I give them 2 years.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 01:57:08 PM »
they've been around a year or two already.  not sure what their sales figures are.  if they sourced a Royal Enfield 500 to put in it, it's be more likely to get my vote.  of course, you can pick up leftover RE Classic 500s for between 3500 and 4000.  that's more in my toy range.  :)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
Rather have a Kaw W650.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 11:04:49 AM »
especially if it looked like this: 

;)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »

;)

Purdy
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 05:05:42 PM »

;)

precisely