Author Topic: Is Kimchi served hot or cold?  (Read 70186 times)

Offline rush2112

• Arena
Re: Is Kimchi served hot or cold?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
Korean food, by far my favorite of all foods!!

Favorite dish is Kimchi Daeji Bokum which is stir-fried kimchi with pork and tofu and eaten with white rice! A must try if you like the kimchi!!

Same dish as above but more in a soup form is Kimchi Jigae. Dang, I'm going to have to find a Korean restaurant for lunch tomorrow now!!!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »
Fort Worth finally got a Trader Joe's, so I'm up for trying Kim chi. I'm going to need to Americanize it some (add meat)
before my family will eat enough of it for a fair trial, so what should I serve with it in the way of meat.
Ground beef? Chicken in an Asian sauce? I assume rice as well?

Is it served like a salad or Cole slaw would be?..or is it just a cold meatless meal all by it self? (the latter will be a hard sell ::), I better get some hot dogs.  ;) )

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
Fort Worth finally got a Trader Joe's, so I'm up for trying Kim chi. I'm going to need to Americanize it some (add meat)
before my family will eat enough of it for a fair trial, so what should I serve with it in the way of meat.
Ground beef? Chicken in an Asian sauce? I assume rice as well?

Is it served like a salad or Cole slaw would be?..or is it just a cold meatless meal all by it self? (the latter will be a hard sell ::), I better get some hot dogs.  ;) )

Korean restaraunts normaly serve kimche before your main meal comes in small bowls, usually several types placed on your table. Every restaurant I've been to does this and it's just part of your meal. One Korean friend descibed the word kimchi to me as similar to our word "pickled". And as you know, we'll pickle anything here! The cabbage is the most common form but can vary widely, such as korean turnip (very good) to seaweed, to sprouts, ect.

If you want it as a meal with meat I suggest the Kimchi Daeji Bokum (also known as Dubu Kimchi) from my previous post. Don't have to use the pork belly, you can use thinly sliced pork chops too. Some of the best I've had was done with pork chops. Easy to make, not many ingrediants, and doesn't take long to cook. Warning though, make sure you have a VERY good stove vent or cook it outside! Can be pretty potent smelling in the house!!!!!!  ;D
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 01:42:23 PM »
I always think of this M*A*S*H episode when I hear kimchi...

Sounds like something I'd like to try.  But at a Korean restaurant or from a Korean market.  And there aren't any of either near me.
Well, ya did buy that motorcycle to ride it, right? ;)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 09:07:39 AM »
Sorry Marty, if you have to go through that to make more presentable or palatble for your family then I'd skip it as you are going to rob them and yourself of the true Kimchi experience by sullying it with American picnic foods. Try it yourself and decide, the Trader Joe's stuff is most likely despiced and watered down for most American tastes anyhow.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »
Korean restaurants normaly serve kimche before your main meal comes in small bowls, usually several types placed on your table. Every restaurant I've been to does this and it's just part of your meal.

OK, now I get it, thanks. It's served like chips and salsa(s) at a Tex-Mex place. Goes well with the dinner, but it's also an appetizer/snack food.
I can work with that. Even if my family gets a taste for Kimchi, I'm going to have to accompany it with meat. They all like chips and salsa, but if I answered that when they asked what's for dinner, they'd eat the chips and then head out the door for Sonic or WhataBurger.

Sorry Marty, if you have to go through that to make more presentable or palatble for your family then I'd skip it as you are going to rob them and yourself of the true Kimchi experience by sullying it with American picnic foods. Try it yourself and decide, the Trader Joe's stuff is most likely despiced and watered down for most American tastes anyhow.
I was just joking about the hot dogs.  :)
For the Kimchi experts that have tried the Trader Joe's version: How is it? Watered down?

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »

I was just joking about the hot dogs.  :)
For the Kimchi experts that have tried the Trader Joe's version: How is it? Watered down?

I have a Trader Joes a mile from my house. This'll give me an excuse to stop in! I'll give a report soon!  :P

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
I recently have gotten a hankering to ferment stuff... So Far I have done Blackberries... it went south. I did an amazing 3 gallons of apple cider, followed by another 3 gallons of apple cider. Both in the 11-12% alc level... good stuff. I love Kombucha but it is super spendy so that is my next attempt. I have a couple pounds of radishes right now I might ferment. But Kimchi is on my summer list of stuff to try and ferment. I need a good recipe to start with though...  And I soon am going to start Beer but I need more space...
Hey Strawboss, How are things? Been a while.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »
I'd like to do Saki.  Can one make that themselves?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:11 AM »
I'd like to do Saki.  Can one make that themselves?
My son likes Sake and we talked about doing it. It seams to me a long process much harder than beer or cider.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 07:09:25 PM »
If it is what I think it is, which according to my son is cabbage buried in the ground until it goes bad, does it really matter?

:o ;D

Brian

I bought some to satisfy my curiosity, its pre-made in a bag, nothing on how to prepare it other than keep refridgerated until using. Hot or cold?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
If it is what I think it is, which according to my son is cabbage buried in the ground until it goes bad, does it really matter?

:o ;D

Brian

Silly boy, its pickled and placed in the ground in a clay pot with a sealed cover, at least that's what my Tae Kwon Do master did when he made it... he had about 15 pots buried in the yard with various regional recipes.  And he was a native Korean.
I have never eaten any in the last 35 years that compared to his, some were close/and good, but none were as potent and flavorfull

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
Yeah, stuck in the ground so it does what- it goes bad such as all foods eventually will (save one that I know of). I mean it is like how do you know when blue cheese is bad, does it go moldy? Really? Like salami- it has a fungus that is grown on it to prevent spoilage but only because the fungus has already spoiled the sausage in the first place. So in a way, we are taking perfectly good food, turning it 'bad' in some way (usually by souring or curdling it) and then eating it. How do you know when kimchi is done; how do you judge its "rottenness"?

The one food that will last seemingly forever is honey- it does not turn; given sufficient time it will desiccate like an old rodent but it never goes 'bad'.

Brian

Silly boy, its pickled and placed in the ground in a clay pot with a sealed cover, at least that's what my Tae Kwon Do master did when he made it... he had about 15 pots buried in the yard with various regional recipes.  And he was a native Korean.
I have never eaten any in the last 35 years that compared to his, some were close/and good, but none were as potent and flavorfull
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
Don't knock it till you've tried it. It may sound a bit different to our western attitudes, but its delicious. The vinegar preserves it much like any other pickling process. I bought some for my class reunion this past Saturday but held off taking it as I think it would be wasted on their uncultivated pallets. Growing up with a Slovak/Polish/Hillbilly dad and a German/Hungarian mother in Cleveland I was exposed to quite a bit of different traditional ethnic foods at home and at weddings and festivals. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50