Author Topic: Murphs' Kits Wedges  (Read 38344 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Murphs' Kits Wedges
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2011, 06:38:15 AM »
The only way to tell for sure is to try them. I hope they work for you. If not it won't cost that much to try. If you don't like them they'll resell quickly on the forum. That's where I got mine.
Good luck.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
Stock bars, no risers with wedges here.  I'm 6' with a 33"-34" sleeve.  At first they felt perfect with the more horoizontal angle and subtle lift on the bar ends.  The equally subtle move back toward me is just about perfect allowing me to still ride with a solid upper body lean on the bars and not have my arms completely extended.  I began to notice a small loss of leverage on the bars during turn in's due to the decrease in bar width after a few hundred miles.  I wish they were still as wide as stock bars, but not enough to remove them at this point.  They did for me what I really wanted; ability to ride with close to stock bar height (NO RISERS)  while improving the comfort factor on the grip angle and very small pull back distance improvement.
From time to time the desire to tinker and pull them off and go back to completely stock due to the width issue arises, but frankly they are kind of a hassle to install and I haven't done it yet. 

What I think would be ideal for me would be risers of about .75-1.0" and the exact same amount of pull back with no affect to the bar width.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
The only way to tell for sure is to try them. I hope they work for you. If not it won't cost that much to try. If you don't like them they'll resell quickly on the forum. That's where I got mine.
Good luck.

+1

It is just impossible to know if you will like them or not, REGARDLESS of body shape, type, torso height, arm length, etc.  PERIOD!

Murph will take them back and give you a full refund, less shipping, no questions asked.  If you think you might want a change or need them, just order them!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »

Murph will take them back and give you a full refund, less shipping, no questions asked. 

+1 to emphasize crazy good customer service !
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
just for the sake of asking, can these wedges be flipped or reversed so they would lower the bar ends and widening the grip?

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
gonzosc1: No, the wedges cannot be reversed for the effect you want.   
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline timbo

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »
Has anyone tried the LSL bars from Murph? Any more comfy than the risers and/or wedges? Seems like your wrists are in a more natural state than the stock bars which bend our wrists sideways.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Has anyone tried the LSL bars from Murph? Any more comfy than the risers and/or wedges? Seems like your wrists are in a more natural state than the stock bars which bend our wrists sideways.
I have the LSL set up along with a few others here and think they are awesome! They don't work for everyone, I bought my LSL set up from a member that did not like the riding position all that much.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2011, 08:58:54 PM »
Mine [wedges] arrived earlier this week and I installed them tonight.  As I mentioned before, this is on top of the Helibars.
[...]
The change is MORE than I expected!  An added bonus is that the Helibars caused the right master cylinder to touch every so slightly on the windshield when in lock position- now it is far away.   I am quite pleased so far, although I have only ridden about 30 min.  Even at that distance, I would normally start to have numbness problems in my right hand.  None!!  I will try to remember to post again after much more time using them.

3 months and many hundreds of miles later..... OMG, the things are just magic.  They have COMPLETELY cured all my problems with my hands, thumbs, wrists, and forearms.  I now give these things a *HUGE* recommendation.  I am not sure how something so subtle could be so effective, but I suppose I shouldn't question it :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
CONHARDCORE: Maybe I can explain about the washers. Normally the counter bore in the stanchion base has a flat bottom for the bolt heads to contact as you tighten them. With the wedge in place the stanchion base is tilted 6 degrees and the bottom of the counter bore is now tilted the same amount. The bolt heads will not contact the bottom of the counter bore correctly, so the washer which also has a 6 degree angle is placed so the high-side of the washer is opposite the low side of the angle and produces parallel surfaces under the bolt heads.
As you tighten the bolts, the washer wants to turn so if you position them turned counterclockwise about 1/4 - 1/2 turn, they will rotate into the correct orientation as you tighten the bolts. You might also glue them in the correct orientation so they stay put while tightening. They are a pain but not too difficult.   

Is there a diagram on how to position the washers? I picked mine up second hand without instructions and want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Thanks!

Nevermind - pretty self-explanatory once I actually got out to the bike and looked at it. Do need help on what the torque specs are for the handlebars though, can't seem to locate it in the owners manual.  :o

Updated: Found the little note in the Owner's Manual (p-256) that says:"Please ask your authorized Kawasaki dealer for torque values." so I did. Handlebar Mounting Bolts are 18 ft.lbs.
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)