Author Topic: Murphs' Kits Wedges  (Read 38303 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Murphs' Kits Wedges
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:42 AM »
Do you need to modify the cables or hoses with the risers and wedges? I already have the risers and the cables and hoses seem a bit tight.

You said "the risers" without say which.  There are several.

Regardless, I will let others who have done it speak from experience... but, the wedges are very short.  Plus they angle the bars IN, not out, so that should reduce the length of the hoses from the wedges to the grips.   I have the tallest risers offered (Helibars) and there still seems to be some extra wiggle room from the hose mounts to the bike.  I don't think adding the wedges will be a problem.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
I put a set of wedges on my Heli Bar Risers and I am still running the stock lines on my 09 C14. Since Phill did not supply bolts for the risers I changed the 80mm long bolts that came with my risers to 90mm. Love the combination & it works great for me. :D
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 05:02:27 AM »
just pulled the trigger.  ;D

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 05:10:59 AM »
also just ordered a rack from Phil.  :o  Dammit!  :nuts:

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
 :o
I put a set of wedges on my Heli Bar Risers and I am still running the stock lines on my 09 C14. Since Phill did not supply bolts for the risers I changed the 80mm long bolts that came with my risers to 90mm. Love the combination & it works great for me. :D

I too had the wedges installed along with Heli bars, and had no problems with the stock lines...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Murph

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »

The 90MM long bolts for using the "other"   8) guys 2 inche risers are in now. I hope my webmen will have it listed in the nexy day or two.

Best
Murph
COG 2769
Industry  Member

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »

The 90MM long bolts for using the "other"   8) guys 2 inche risers are in now. I hope my webmen will have it listed in the nexy day or two.

Best
Murph
COG 2769
Industry  Member

And here I thought I was going to make it a few weeks without spending any money on farkles. 
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »
And here I thought I was going to make it a few weeks without spending any money on farkles.

Yeah, me too.  Said I needed the longer bolts, he stood behind his word, so am I :)  Order placed.

Figured I would try those super headlight bulbs also, so I threw a pair in.  OOOh they are expensive, I hope they live up to the hype!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 04:32:13 PM »
I'd like to offer a caution to everyone who has the wedges and plans to install them in conjunction with riser-blocks. The wedges must be placed on TOP of any riser-blocks.   Since the bolts fit snugly through the riser-blocks, tilting the riser by having the wedges underneath, will cause the bolts to be tilted also and they won't be perpendicular to the top-clamp. This might bend the bolts or damage the threads in the top-clamp. It may also affect tightening the bolts to the correct torque.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
I'd like to offer a caution to everyone who has the wedges and plans to install them in conjunction with riser-blocks. The wedges must be placed on TOP of any riser-blocks.   Since the bolts fit snugly through the riser-blocks, tilting the riser by having the wedges underneath, will cause the bolts to be tilted also and they won't be perpendicular to the top-clamp. This might bend the bolts or damage the threads in the top-clamp. It may also affect tightening the bolts to the correct torque.

Thank you for that warning, because it was (for me at least) unclear.  Perhaps it might be in some included directions, but I don't have the package yet.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
The 5th picture in my initial post of this thread shows the correct position as advised by Phil.

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 04:23:11 AM »
I just put a set on over the weekend.  I already have Murph's risers, and just added the wedges to the "pile".  Thanks to Phil and Murph - they came with good instructions, were easy to install, and make a subtle but very noticeable difference!

Ride safe... 8)
Dave 

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »
2 questions....what is the recommended bold length with just the wedges, no risers? I'm using the standard bolts right now and it seems like there is enough thread, but I'm thinking not enough.
Also, is anyone using a Techmount GPS holder with the wedges?  I would assume longer bolts are needed, but does it bolt down correctly?
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
You'll need 6 ea. 35 mm long. The holes go all the way through the top-clamp so the bolts can be on the long side.
I believe people have used the Techmount, the holes still line up the same, the counter-bores may be snug.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »
You'll need 6 ea. 35 mm long. The holes go all the way through the top-clamp so the bolts can be on the long side.
I believe people have used the Techmount, the holes still line up the same, the counter-bores may be snug.
Thanks.  What is the specific type of cap head screw needed for strength? are these available at someplace like Lowe's? McMaster-Carr has packs of 25 and up.
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
Thanks.  What is the specific type of cap head screw needed for strength? are these available at someplace like Lowe's? McMaster-Carr has packs of 25 and up.

The best place to find bolts is through www.Fastenal.com  They have stores located throughout the country or you can order straight from their website.
Jim B.
COG #9642

Offline Murph

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »

We have the bolts
all in ZInc DIN 10.9  same as stock

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=467

murph
COH 2769
Indstry Member

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 08:26:16 AM »
Fastenal was on my way home yesterday, so I went by and got 6 DIN 12.9 bolts. all they had was black in that strength and that was fine with me since the guy just gave them to me for free  :D
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
I know Murph went to a lot of trouble & expense to obtain bolts of greater strength than stock. This brings up a question, I was told by a hardware sales person that ALL stainless steel bolts were grade 8 or higher. Does anyone know for sure if this is true/false??

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »
This brings up a question, I was told by a hardware sales person that ALL stainless steel bolts were grade 8 or higher. Does anyone know for sure if this is true/false??

False as stainless can't be quenched and tempered like carbon steel can and generally speaking are (at best) comparable to grade 5 carbon bolts.  In SS there are basically only two grades that are the norm, 18-8 (U.S.) and A-2 (metric).  Here's a general reference chart with tensile and yield strength properties:  http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Bolt-Grade-Chart.aspx
Jim B.
COG #9642