Author Topic: Just Installed and Tested Rostra Cruise  (Read 10000 times)

Offline 4cedars

Just Installed and Tested Rostra Cruise
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
I just finished installing my Rostra unit on my 2010 this morning and took it out for a test ride. Works fantastic!!

Thanks to Brian (BDF) for the initial install directions  :chugbeer: and thanks to Fartymarty and Rhino for the install tweaks on the 2010 models  :chugbeer: My install went very smooth with the only issue being getting into diagnostic mode. Called Rostras 800 # and they were extremely helpful. I also shortened the wiring harness considerably eliminating the excess wire.

All connections were made on the front of the bike with my Eastern Beaver fuse block already mounted under the right hand cover for my Powerlet center, it made for a clean install. I then used velcro on the fuse block and mounted it to the face of the actuator unit. That way if there is a problem I can reach under the cover and pull the fuse block out without taking off any plastic. all the wires are wrapped with loom and wire tied. The actuator cable bracket was mounted under the lower bolt holding the coolant reservoir and works very well. I did leave a tab with a hole in it for a brace if I encounter any problems with movement, but I really do not think it will be needed.

No more holding that throttle for 4 hours at a time :)                                       

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Just Installed and Tested Rostra Cruise
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:27:24 PM »
Congrats John, if you ride all those red states in your avatar this will get alot of use bro!

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
I may be buying one in the next few weeks for my 2010.  I appreciate the positive report on yours. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
ZG, Been there, my focus are those gray states  ;D
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »

Oregon is still grey (actually Oregon is almost always grey  ;) ), if you make it here give me a shout, first beer is on me bro!  :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »

How did you miss SC in all of that???!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:05 AM »
I like what you did installing an extension to the throttle arm. Moving the attachment point of the cable out further should make for a nice precise hold on the speed. Congrats! You will love it this summer.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
How did you miss SC in all of that???!!

I was wondering if anybody would call me out on that

Its a funny story.......kinda...........now!

Me dad and I were in Jacksonville,FL heading north from the Keys, when a huge storm hit. Since I use paper maps on a tank bag and a non waterproof gps everything was put away or covered up. I "thought " I knew what road to stay on through Georgia into SC. When it came time for fuel we stopped at a station and I got the map out to see exactly where we were at. I kept looking north on the map and could not find the town we were in, and it wasn't there!!!! So I went to the index and found the town and finally located the town. Not believing I could have done this, I summoned the clerk behind the counter to verify and was given the bad news.  Some where the road split and I took the wrong road putting us about 20 miles from the Alabama line :banghead:

So up through eastern AL on a beautiful 2 lane we went enjoying every mile of it. It all worked out, but the verbal and mental abuse I have to take from my tattooed, Harley riding, fly by the seat of your pants father is more than any human should have to endure :)

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this mod.  I had one on my C-14, which I sold, and loved it.  I took it off the bike and I've been trying to sell it, with minimal interest, including a couple of listings on ebay.
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this mod.  I had one on my C-14, which I sold, and loved it.  I took it off the bike and I've been trying to sell it, with minimal interest, including a couple of listings on ebay.

If it were true plug & play for $300 or less they would be flying off the shelves.  Most folks simply are not inclined to install themselves, especially when there is drilling on the bike, splicing wires etc.  And paying a dealer to do this would cost over $1000.
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
If it were true plug & play for $300 or less they would be flying off the shelves.  Most folks simply are not inclined to install themselves, especially when there is drilling on the bike, splicing wires etc.  And paying a dealer to do this would cost over $1000.

Yes, and I'd actually pay a grand to have one installed professionally.  I just don't have the time to mess with it.

Offline topsy_t

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 08:53:33 AM »
I'd install it for $100  ;D
'11 Ninja 1K
'07 Tuono

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:52 AM »
If you bring your bike and rostra to my house I'll do it for free.

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
I am with Rhino on this. I would help out anyone who brought the Connie and Rostra unit to me. Then to test it out we could go over to a Q joint about 80 miles away. Once you have done it the time would be reduced drastically.       John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
I just finished installing my Rostra unit on my 2010 this morning and took it out for a test ride. Works fantastic!!
Thanks to Brian (BDF) for the initial install directions  :chugbeer: and thanks to Fartymarty and Rhino for the install tweaks on the 2010 models  :chugbeer:      John

For what little I had to do with it, you are most welcome.

So John, could you tell us more about all those wires going to the top
cover? Power sockets for heated gear? or ?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »

;D

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:20 PM »
I've had one on my 09 for over 58k, with no  problems and it works great.Why doesn't kawasaki listen to us and put one on from the factory like BMW.I'd gladly pay more for the option.Until then the rostra seems to be the best and most economical alternative. ;D
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »
I've had one on my 09 for over 58k, with no  problems and it works great.Why doesn't kawasaki listen to us and put one on from the factory like BMW.I'd gladly pay more for the option.Until then the rostra seems to be the best and most economical alternative. ;D

AMEN!
Jim
Current bikes....

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »
Marty, those wires go up to 4 powerlet sockets mpunted on the black cover. I use 1 to power my tank bag 2 for the 2720 Garmins and 1the is a spare. I have the 2720's unswitched so when i stop for fuel they dont shut down. Inside the tank bag I have a charger for the droid and Sena charger if I need to charge on the fly. The spare powerlet socket is fused higher than the others so I am able to run my compressor if needed.       John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »
Marty, those wires go up to 4 powerlet sockets mpunted on the black cover.      John

Thanks John