Author Topic: Rear Facing Horn  (Read 3185 times)

Offline 4cedars

Rear Facing Horn
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
I am almost to that point. I am seriously contemplating installing a rear facing high decibel face melting horn  ;D

I have a LINZ6 on a wigwag mounted above the license plate and find myself cycling it numerous times when pulling up to stoplights and certain intersections.

I still get the feeling this is not enough to get the attention of some of the texters and phone users as soon as I would like.

Put it on a button that could be hit if I feel someone is closing to fast or a little to close while moving? I don't know, just thinking out loud :)

Anybody ever see something like this??

John

IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Rear Facing Horn
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
I am almost to that point. I am seriously contemplating installing a rear facing high decibel face melting horn  ;D   [...] Anybody ever see something like this??

No, but I was thinking about it the other day when I had to brake hard in interstate traffic and was just sure the idiot behind me was going to hit me.  It is exactly for those reasons I try to leave even more space in front of me than ever needed (which is not easy because people always try to fill it).

And then the tailgaters, which freak me out just as much.  There is nowhere else I can go, idiot.  Riding 6 feet off my rear at 70 MPH is not going to change that and is extremely unsafe.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
No, but I was thinking about it the other day when I had to brake hard in interstate traffic and was just sure the idiot behind me was going to hit me.  It is exactly for those reasons I try to leave even more space in front of me than ever needed (which is not easy because people always try to fill it).

And then the tailgaters, which freak me out just as much.  There is nowhere else I can go, idiot.  Riding 6 feet off my rear at 70 MPH is not going to change that and is extremely unsafe.

Yeah, and then VDOT does something like adding two HUGE signs with displays for the time it will take to get here or there.   They put them on the stretch of 64E between Ft Eustis Blvd and Jefferson.  Like the multiple "Bump" signs, and the traffic info sgn with yellow flashing lights didnt tie up traffic there everyday anyhow.  That is the most dangerous portion of my daily drive.  A face melting horn would be GREAT if coupled with a 2k watt halogen light beam.

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
Something to assist in being noticed sure would help. I thought for sure I was going to get nailed the other day.

A few months ago the DOT made it a $2750.00 fine for any truck driver using a phone that required the push of more than one button to initiate or answer a call. Texting or internet browsing is also obviously illegal. Not only does the driver get the $2750 fine but the company he works for gets and $11000.00 fine as well. If the fine for texting was as big for the general public and actually enforced that would be great.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
Why don't you get one of those big two wheeled things with all the chrome and the super loud exhaust, then blip the throttle continually.  Loud pipes save lives you know!   :stirpot:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
Yeah, and then VDOT does something like adding two HUGE signs with displays for the time it will take to get here or there.   They put them on the stretch of 64E between Ft Eustis Blvd and Jefferson.  Like the multiple "Bump" signs, and the traffic info sgn with yellow flashing lights didnt tie up traffic there everyday anyhow.  That is the most dangerous portion of my daily drive.  A face melting horn would be GREAT if coupled with a 2k watt halogen light beam.

Yeah!  What is with those signs?  I don't see why they couldn't fix the stupid, old, overhead ones to show the 64/264 times instead of adding yet more signs.  In any case, people will get used to them pretty quickly and they will be less of a distraction, hopefully.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Joncon11

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 07:23:18 PM »
The 64/264/464/664 loop is by far the worst, most confusing, poorly designed thing I have ever experienced (might just be me). Those "death groves" on 64 are madding!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 08:07:58 PM »
The 64/264/464/664 loop is by far the worst, most confusing, poorly designed thing I have ever experienced (might just be me). Those "death groves" on 64 are madding!

For sure the biggest flaw is that 64 east from Richmond goes southeast to Norfolk, not east.  Hits Norfolk and then shortly after, 64 east then runs due south.  Then turns and, for those who don't live in this area, believe it or not, it goes WEST.

So rather than confuse people worse, while it is running north/south and near where it runs west/east, they simply drop all the compass directions.  So in Chesapeake, 64 then has no direction at all.  Which entrance ramp to take????  You know you want 64 west, which runs east, but instead, it is labeled "Virginia Beach".  And what is 64 east labeled???  "Norfolk"!!!  If you have been following this closely, you can see the flaw.....  64 runs through Norfolk the other direction.  Yes, confusing.

SO then they tried to rename 64/664 as "inner loop" and "outer loop", depending if you are going clockwise or counter-clockwise.  I really do understand this.  But apparently nobody else does.  I think after several years of that, it has been dropped too.