Author Topic: When is it time to rebuild the front brake calipers?  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Charliedog

When is it time to rebuild the front brake calipers?
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
The reason I ask is my 2000 C10 with 67,000 miles on it has gone from EBC to SBS to DP front brake pads and it has lost the initial bite it used to have when I grab the front brake lever.  I have bled so much fluid through the Galfer two-line system that there should be no air in the lines.  There is no sign of leaks.  When the bike is on the center stand the lever feels firm, but slowing from 60 plus mph takes four fingers on the lever and more rear brake than I am used to using.  I did clean the rotors with 600 grit emery paper and brake cleaner before installing the DP pads.  Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry  aka  CharlieDog
Bristol, TN       
CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline BlkBird

Re: When is it time to rebuild the front brake calipers?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »
Did the problem begin before or only at the same exact time as the installation of the new pads?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:25:19 PM »
Can't say they ever need to be rebuilt, unless they're puking fluid, or pad life is poor (pistons don't retract). I've two Connies in the basement, combined mileage is over 250k miles. Never rebuilt a slave or master cylinder.

I'm partial to Galfer "green" pads for the front, P/N FD090G1651 (or 1651). Pad life is fair, and they take a bit to dry out when drenched, but they haul the bike down. Err, and I installed run-of-the-mill standard EBC rotors on my daily driver 5-6 years ago. They look spiffy, and don't seem to wear as much as the OEM rotors did. I can't compare stoppage to OEM's though, as it's been years.

600 grit is a bit fine IMHO. I use 220 (or what ever I happen to grab off the shelf) Wet-or-Dry if I ever need to buff the glaze off. Any visible scratches don't stay there long.

Not much, hope it helps,

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »
I rebuilt my calipers at about 55k. I decided to do an entire brake system update, and now this was on my 86, so keep that in mind too. I had fresh fluid, fresh pads, and newly rebuilt calipers. It wasn't a hard job, less than 200 in parts combined, and took half a day. The fluid looked like coffee grounds were in it, so that can be a good indicator. These bikes are designed to keep on truckin regardless of issues like this, so you might  not ever  really see major symptoms. If you intend on keeping the bike awhile, it's a worthwhile repair and it's not difficult.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
What are DP pads? What you want is EBC  HH pads. High Friction if you want to stop better.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:16:47 AM »
Probably don't need rebuilding but do need cleaning.
Buy some spray brake cleaner, remove caliper, pump the brakes to push the pistons out a little and then clean around each piston with the brake cleaner spray and an old toothbrush. Push pistons all the way back in and re-assemble. Don't forget to pump the brakes up before going for a ride.
If the pistons are really hard to push back in (ie you can't do it with your hands) then they need a rebuild.

Better yet, do the conversion to 4 piston calipers and say goodbye to poor brakes.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline GeeBeav

In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »
How would I do the conversion to 4 piston calipers?  I've seen a few threads on it, but where would I get the conversion brackets?
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Jwh360

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:09:03 PM »
Depends on what year Connie you have.  2Fast has them for the 86-93's.  Here's the link to his post: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,41075.0.html

If you have a 94-06, SV Racing has brackets that will work.  They seem to be the only option right now, as no one is making them for the 94-06's.  You have to source some longer bolts for the calipers and make some simple spacers.  I'm currently in the process of doing this conversion on my 98.  I picked up a set of 02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Tokico calipers and SV Racing brackets for the DL 650.  Here's the link for SVR: http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#ecwid:category=472407&mode=product&product=10245069

There's a huge thread about this on the COG forum under the Accessories section of the C-10 forum.  Check out the posts from Wingboy on pages 2 and 3 if you have a 94-06.  He did the SVR/Tokico conversion.

HTH - Jeff

Jeff in SoCal. 1998 ZG1000-A13, 1979 RD400F Daytona Special

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 04:53:11 AM »
What are DP pads? What you want is EBC  HH pads. High Friction if you want to stop better.
DPs are also an HH+ pad according to their website.
They used to sell under the brand name Dunlopad in the 1980s.
http://www.dp-brakes.com/Shop/p-1-DP-STANDARD.html
Should be equivalent to the OEM pad only cheaper.
Based in Nuneaton in England.
I've never used them so cannot comment.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

enim57

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 07:29:56 PM »
The brackets fom 2Fast suit a 320mm diameter aftermarket disc and not the OEM standard 270mm diameter disc.
The brackets I make suit the OEM standard 270mm diameter disc (86 - 93 models).

wahrsuul's sig line states a 99 model which my brackets will not suit unfortunately.

Regards, Russell

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 05:24:57 AM »
I can vouch for Russells 86-93 brackets.
I have Nissin 4 piston calipers on my 89 and the brakes are awesome!

Easy enough conversion.
Buy Russells brackets, buy some CBR900XX (2000-2003) calipers off Fleabay, buy some pads for the calipers, drill out 2 of the mount holes in the calipers, bolt it all together and bleed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:30:06 AM by Boomer »
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

enim57

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
I can vouch for Russells 86-93 brackets.
I have Nissin 4 piston calipers on my 89 and the brakes are awesome!

Easy enough conversion.
Buy Russells brackets, buy some CBR900XX (2000-2003) calipers off Fleabay, buy some pads for the calipers, drill out 2 of the month holes in the calipers, bolt it all together and bleed.
Thanks for the positive response George. Glad you're enjoying them.

Regards, Russell