Author Topic: Riding to James' funeral  (Read 5404 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Riding to James' funeral
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »
My friend James died yesterday at a Darien Lake amusement park in New York.  What really makes me mad is the fact that he had been going through physical therapy for the past three years after losing his legs to an EFP in Iraq.  He endured so much pain and he definitely didn't deserve to go out that way.  He was a great friend and I will be riding to either Gowanda, NY or Washington D.C. depending on what his family decides about Arlington.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/09/army-amputee-thrown-from-new-york-roller-coaster-dies/?test=latestnews%3Ftest%3Dlatestnews#comment

I will be riding with another friend and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions for roads to take or avoid in between Missouri and NY, or D.C.  Also if you have a suggestion for lodging in either of those areas I welcome any advice.  For D.C. I will try military lodging in Fort Myer since that will probably be the cheapest route if they have rooms available.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 12:20:22 PM by Jeremy Mitchell »
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Riding to James' funeral
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »
Jeremy, if you find yourself anyplace close to Cincinnati, there's a free guest room and food/brews at our house. Either going or coming back. Just give a call to 513-482-9620 and tell whoever answers (biz phone) that "Mark told me to call."

Ride safe. Sorry about your friend. I'd seen the news item. That well and truly sucks.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
Thank you sir, I will keep that in mind.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:04:07 AM »
Ok, I won't be able to make it to the memorial service in Gowanda due to short notice for work, so I will be attending the burial in Arlington. Any areas in D.C. that I should avoid? I will check bowling AFB and Ft Myer for lodging as soon as I find out a date.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Jeremy, depending on dates I can provide you with a GI cot and some blankets.  We can also keep the bike indoors.  I'm only about 40 miles from ANC.  I wouldn't stay at Bolling unless they've done some work on their rooms.  They're cheap, but kind of crappy.  You also may not have much luck getting a room.  Down the street from Bolling is a Navy Lodge, but their rates are higher. 

Besides Myer, there is also Fort Belvoir and Quantico.  Fort Myer is the closest to ANC. 

As far as roads to stay away from?  If it's rush hour, you might as well stay away from all of them. 

I'm sorry for your loss, and if you want a battle buddy for moral support at the funeral I'll be more than happy to dig out my Class As and head up there with you.
I feel like a new person!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:25:41 AM »
Jeremy, depending on dates I can provide you with a GI cot and some blankets.  We can also keep the bike indoors.  I'm only about 40 miles from ANC.  I wouldn't stay at Bolling unless they've done some work on their rooms.  They're cheap, but kind of crappy.  You also may not have much luck getting a room.  Down the street from Bolling is a Navy Lodge, but their rates are higher. 

Besides Myer, there is also Fort Belvoir and Quantico.  Fort Myer is the closest to ANC. 

As far as roads to stay away from?  If it's rush hour, you might as well stay away from all of them. 

I'm sorry for your loss, and if you want a battle buddy for moral support at the funeral I'll be more than happy to dig out my Class As and head up there with you.

Thanks for the info!  PM sent about lodging.

Offline booger

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
Saw an article about James in the Houston Chronicle this AM.

Sorry about loosing your friend.

Offline yoman

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 05:05:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Peace to you and his family.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:22:46 AM »
My thoughts and prayers are with his family. If I could, I would thank James for his service and sacrifice.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Sofa King

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about this.  My thoughts are with you and his family.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:06:08 AM »
Prayers and condolences sent.. Safe passage blessing sent for you..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
I also saw the article.  Terrible story.  Peace be with him, and safe travels to you.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with his family. If I could, I would thank James for his service and sacrifice.

+1 to that!

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 09:44:31 AM »
Srry to hear this.

Sounds like he was an amazing person....

My cond...

Dan

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 11:54:54 AM »
His burial is scheduled for 15AUG so I will probably be leaving on the 13th.  I will have a day or so to see The Tomb of the Unknown, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and maybe even a couple other things that I have wanted to do ever since I realized how many have sacrificed everthing for our nation.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »
Jeremy, I should be around that week so if you and your friend are still looking for a place to crash....

I'm sure you know this, but The Tomb of the Unknown is at ANC.  The Wall is across memorial bridge near the Lincoln Memorial.  While you're in the area you can also check out the Korean War Memorial.  It's better at night, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  The WW II memorial is more or less within walking distance.  If you're in Class A's you might not want to--six blocks or so. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »
That sounds great, I sent you a PM with some tentative plans.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »
Jeremy, I'm still trying to find the words to express how I feel.  Between James deeds and his parents selfless words I am just at a loss for words.  I'm sorry for the loss of hero, yet I'm thinking this entire story can only help someone less fortunate then we.  Look inward and you'll see he isnt gone, he is just somewhere else.

Do you know if the PGR will be in attendance?  If not, it is something to consider.

Be well, be strong, and stand proud,

Chet

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
SOP, I just PM'd him about the PG.  My good friend is a member and he can set it up or direct me to the people that can.  Didn't mean to steal your thunder!  :)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
I know that James' sister and his ex-wife are doing some checking.  I will let them know that I have a contact through CrashDB that is a member of the PGR in the DC area.  Thank you both for the info and I will do my best to make sure that those planning this honorable event are informed.