Author Topic: SSD Performance Hand Guards  (Read 8598 times)

Offline Curt

• Arena
SSD Performance Hand Guards
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
I am getting old. This winter was brutal for me. I ride 30 miles to work and this year my hands froze. I am stubborn and cheap so have not put heated grips on or paid the money for heated gloves. Finally decided I had to do something so I bought these http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Concours-GUARDS-Powder-Coated/dp/B00IPRINGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395509782&sr=8-1&keywords=concours+1400+hand+guards

Well made, easy to install and were delivered within three days of ordering.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: SSD Performance Hand Guards
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:39:36 PM »
Yet another option.  Thanks, Curt.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:54:09 PM »
Yes! I emailed with Mike a few times last week that makes those.
They're in Mo.

I asked if he had any to fit the 2010-2014's yet, since those mirrors are 40 mm lower...
He didn't, and was needing to find one for the measurements.
He has since been allowed to take measurements from a new one at a nearby dealer, and says it won't be long until he has some ready.

Said he'd let me know.

Looks like my next farkle.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »
Nice find.  I broke down and just ordered a set - probably the first set of wind deflectors that look good (IMHO of course)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
For some strange reason he has them listed on Amazon as two different listings- one for 2008 and one for 2009, and both say 2008-2009.

In any case, those are the most compelling hard guards I have seen yet.  Especially when he releases the 2nd gen (2010-2014)

1) They appear they would interfere far less with windscreens of different designs
2) They appear to be very solid
3) They don't require drilling into your nice bike in any way
4) They appear to not interfere with folding the mirrors

Not cheap, but hey- they are custom and low-volume :)  The only major improvement I can think of would be some quick release system for them to be removed- but it certainly doesn't look like it would be all that hard.  Or perhaps adjustability, but I can't see where that is needed in this case.

For reasons I can't explain, I don't seem to have any problems with my hands being cold on the 2nd gen + stock windscreen + bar risers.  I guess my winter gloves + the grip heaters are enough.  I can't say that about my neck and sides and face and such, though :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:21:53 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
Can you still fold the mirrors?
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 05:21:10 PM »
Can you still fold the mirrors?

That is a very good question, and something I should have added to my analysis above (and now will).  I can't answer it, since I don't own them and it is not addressed on the product description.... hopefully Curt will reply with that information.  They certainly LOOK TO ME like they do not interfere with folding, though.

Why would this be important?  I, for example, store my Concours in a Cycle Shell... and it will not close unless the mirrors are folded in.  http://www.cycleshell.com/
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 05:24:34 PM »
I ordered this today as well. I asked that question on the Amazon listing and didn't get a response. I'll reply back to this thread when I get these put on (this weekend or next week sometime).

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
...Why would this be important?  I, for example, store my Concours in a Cycle Shell... and it will not close unless the mirrors are folded in.....  http://www.cycleshell.com/

Basically, for me, it's peace of mind in case I bump the mirror, or someone else does when the bike is parked. If these guards cause stress to the hinge/damage the plastic, it'd be a pretty poor design.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:47:36 PM »
www.ssdperformance.blogspot.com

He can be reached there.

I've been chatting with him through ebay.

Didn't think to ask him about mirror folding ability...
He told me he hates plastics, acrylics, and there is NO drilling required.

He also rides an '08 C14, too.

Cool, guy. Took time to chat back and forth with me.
I'm definitely gonna buy a set for my '11 when he gets them ready.
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline Gsun

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 10:22:46 PM »
For some strange reason he has them listed on Amazon as two different listings- one for 2008 and one for 2009, and both say 2008-2009.

That's just to catch more searches.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 04:57:01 AM »
www.ssdperformance.blogspot.com

He can be reached there.

I've been chatting with him through ebay.

Didn't think to ask him about mirror folding ability...
He told me he hates plastics, acrylics, and there is NO drilling required.

He also rides an '08 C14, too.

Cool, guy. Took time to chat back and forth with me.
I'm definitely gonna buy a set for my '11 when he gets them ready.

These are very much like the Motax air defectors that we had a group buy on a while back. The only differences are the shape of the deflectors and the material that the deflectors are made from. The deflector part is made from smoked plexy on mine.

[smg id=414]
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
Mike says the mirrors will fold fine with them.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 04:37:20 AM »
These are very much like the Motax air defectors that we had a group buy on a while back. The only differences are the shape of the deflectors and the material that the deflectors are made from. The deflector part is made from smoked plexy on mine.

[smg id=414]

still super glad i purchased these on that group buy. love them for the cold.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Mine arrived today - pretty impressive turnaround / shipping time.  They feel well made, although I won't be installing them until this weekend with pics to follow of course!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

Offline Curt

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »
Sorry guys, got distracted for a few days. Yes, your mirrors will still fold. I doubt if they would interfere with ANY after-market windshield. Unfortunately, due to a shoulder injury, I have been unable to ride much to further test them but original test was positive.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
I got mine installed today, but no riding yet.  My initial impression is good.  They are well made and installation was simple.  They come with spacers so they don't rest directly on your fairing and they work fine with my v-stream screen and I was also able to fold the mirrors in.  Hope to have a ride report tomorrow, but for now here are some pics:

Front view:

Rear view (sorry about the dark photo):

Mirror folded in view:

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Also installed mine. Took about 10 minutes total. Can fold the mirrors in, but they rub the bottom of the 'guard' just a bit. Can't fold the mirrors back much, however, due to the bracket.

That being said, they work very well at deflecting the wind, and are well made. Did a couple rides the last 2 days, and with temps starting in the 30's (F) both days, no issues at all with keeping the hands warm with just my winter gloves.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »
Also installed mine. Took about 10 minutes total. Can fold the mirrors in, but they rub the bottom of the 'guard' just a bit. Can't fold the mirrors back much, however, due to the bracket.

That being said, they work very well at deflecting the wind, and are well made. Did a couple rides the last 2 days, and with temps starting in the 30's (F) both days, no issues at all with keeping the hands warm with just my winter gloves.

I don't know about this brand of deflectors but with the Motax deflectors you can loosen the two screws that hold the bracket to the bike and 'adjust' the position so that nothing touches or rubs.

Looks like some black fasteners might be in order for those things.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn