Author Topic: Short Day Trip through WV and VA  (Read 1532 times)

Offline J.R.

Short Day Trip through WV and VA
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
Amy gave me the day off from the kids, so I took the opportunity to head out and add some miles to the motorcycle. 

The weather in the morning was iffy, with my current tires now having over 13,000 miles on them.  Road was wet, but not raining, so I headed out.  I only planned on about 250 miles, all back roads. 

I headed south to US 211 to try to round off the tires, which had squared off due to my 110 mile round trip commute for work.  After some warmup time on 211, I headed south to Harrisonburg.  I got stopped in some construction traffic, and was talking to a couple of guys who were headed out on a 3 day trip down to the New River Gorge, and then back to Seneca Rocks to get a picture of his new motorcycle.

Once through the construction, I headed west on US 33.  Got stuck behind some slow moving traffic over the mountain which was a letdown, but still  had great views and a clean road. 

I continued west to Seneca Rocks, where I stopped for lunch at the Front Porch Restaurant.  Had a pretty good smoked Italian sausage.  Luckily, I got out of there as a family of 12 showed up and sat down next to me.  Kids looked to be about 1-14 years, and were pretty rowdy. 

I headed north on WV 28, knowing somewhere to the north it would run into US 50.  I got stuck behind logging truck after logging truck, which really put a dampener on things.  Once I got to 50, I was able to get some open road to myself, before the skies opened up on me.  My new Richa jacket performed flawlessly however, and kept me dry.

Route 50 opens to two lanes once it enters VA, so I slabbed it back to Winchester, and took a trip through Old Town before heading home.  Tires did ok in the wet, but hopefully the new tires I ordered will be in soon!

Jim
2016 C14 "Kristi"