Author Topic: Help with High Beams!  (Read 7058 times)

Offline blueoval

Help with High Beams!
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
I did something while hooking up my Krista lights.  I was using a voltmeter to test for the high beam relay wire and I heard a "snap" like a blown fuse and now neither of my high beams work.  I searched for a high beam fuse, but cannot find it.  Is there a high beam fuse on the 2010 C14 and if so where would it be located?  thank you
2010 Concours 14 
2012 BMW S1000RR             
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R
2008 Honda CBR1000RR   2011 KTM 300XC

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: Help with High Beams!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:19:18 AM »
Look under the seat. There are two fuse blocks. One under the drivers spot and the right side of the bike and the other one under the passenger section and just forward of the tool box.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline blueoval

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
I checked both of those fuse blocks and there were no blown fuses.
2010 Concours 14 
2012 BMW S1000RR             
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
I did something while hooking up my Krista lights.  I was using a voltmeter to test for the high beam relay wire and I heard a "snap" like a blown fuse and now neither of my high beams work.  I searched for a high beam fuse, but cannot find it.  Is there a high beam fuse on the 2010 C14 and if so where would it be located?  thank you

Here we are trying to GUESS what you did, we need a bit more info as to wht you probed, and how you probed it....and if you do not know what you were probing, WHY were you probing it in the manner you thought would be correct?

you could have actually shorted the filiments in the bulbs, and blown them....but again, I am simply guessing.
look a bit closer at the fuse boxes.......

oh, if you play forum tag, and post in multiple forums, please be kind enough to return and tell us all what you found....... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline blueoval

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
Yeah I understand.  I found the high beam fuse and it was blown.  Should've looked a little closer into the issue before posting the question.  My apologies. 
2010 Concours 14 
2012 BMW S1000RR             
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
No worries!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 12:35:09 AM »
Yeah I understand.  I found the high beam fuse and it was blown.  Should've looked a little closer into the issue before posting the question.  My apologies.

Where was it located?
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:05:17 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:35:48 AM »
I was going to give a smarta** answer and say 'Don't you guys, have manuals?' but I decided to look and see where they were....    Nada or next to nothing is the answer.  The owner's manual has zilch and the service manual isn't much better.  Went out and took my seat off and looked.  There are three fuse boxes under the seat that are very clearly labeled.  You can't miss them.  This is for an 08/09.  Someone needs to update this thread with the 10+ models.  I'm sure there is some difference.

Fuse box 1 (midway)

1 - KIPASS Signal Relay - 10A
2 - Oxygen Sensor Heater - 15A
3 - KIPASS - 10A
4 - Electric Windshield - 30A
5 - Accessory - 10A

Fuse box 2 (towards the back of the bike)

1 - Fan - 15A
2 - ECU - 15A
3 - ABS Motor Relay - 30A
4 - ABS Solenoid Valve Relay - 20A
5 - ABS ECU - 10A
6 - Ignition - 10A

Fuse box 3 (towards front of bike)

1 - Turn Signal Relay - 10A
2 - Headlight - 10A
3 - Taillight - 10A
4 - Horn - 10A
5 - Headlight (HI) - 15A
6 - Headlight (LO) - 15A

Relay Box

1 - Fan
2 - Headlight
3 - Main
4 - Fuel Pump
5 - Starter Circuit
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
The information is in the field service manual but as you say, it is lousy- spread out, not tabbed, etc.

The full fuse information is on the schematic pages in the service manual though. Each box is represented, named (or numbered), and the fuses inside labeled as to what they protect and their amp rating.

It would be nice if that info. was on a page in the manual directly but at least it is in there somewhere.

Brian

I was going to give a smarta** answer and say 'Don't you guys, have manuals?' but I decided to look and see where they were....    Nada or next to nothing is the answer.  The owner's manual has zilch and the service manual isn't much better.  Went out and took my seat off and looked.  There are three fuse boxes under the seat that are very clearly labeled.  You can't miss them.  This is for an 08/09.  Someone needs to update this thread with the 10+ models.  I'm sure there is some difference.

<snipped data>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »

Fuse box 1 (midway)

1 - KIPASS Signal Relay - 10A
2 - Oxygen Sensor Heater - 15A
3 - KIPASS - 10A
4 - Electric Windshield - 30A
5 - Accessory - 10A

Fuse box 2 (towards the back of the bike)

1 - Fan - 15A
2 - ECU - 15A
3 - ABS Motor Relay - 30A
4 - ABS Solenoid Valve Relay - 20A
5 - ABS ECU - 10A
6 - Ignition - 10A

Fuse box 3 (towards front of bike)

1 - Turn Signal Relay - 10A
2 - Headlight - 10A
3 - Taillight - 10A
4 - Horn - 10A
5 - Headlight (HI) - 15A
6 - Headlight (LO) - 15A

Relay Box

1 - Fan
2 - Headlight
3 - Main
4 - Fuel Pump
5 - Starter Circuit
Accessory is 5A on my EU '11
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »
They changed it on the 10+ models.....which is why I would like someone with a 10+ model Service Manual to look and see what they are on them and where they are located.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
They changed it on the 10+ models.....which is why I would like someone with a 10+ model Service Manual to look and see what they are on them and where they are located.

I just looked through both the owner and service manuals.  As you and Brian said, there is no listing or table at all.  Amazing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »
What, you didn't believe us? ;)

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
Here we are trying to GUESS what you did, we need a bit more info as to wht you probed, and how you probed it....and if you do not know what you were probing, WHY were you probing it in the manner you thought would be correct?

you could have actually shorted the filiments in the bulbs, and blown them....but again, I am simply guessing.
look a bit closer at the fuse boxes.......

oh, if you play forum tag, and post in multiple forums, please be kind enough to return and tell us all what you found....... ::)

Could you explain how you could " short the filaments in the bulbs ,and blow them" ?

A bulb is designed to have voltage at one terminal , and ground at the other. I can't see how applying voltage or ground to either side would " blow the bulb".  It would simply not light.  ::)

2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »

Page 16-123 in the 2011 service manual has a picture with the locations of the three fuse boxes.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »
Thanks.  16-109 in the 08 service manual.  At least you got me looking in the right area.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
Page 16-123 in the 2011 service manual has a picture with the locations of the three fuse boxes.

Not in MY third edition April 16, 2011 service manual.  16-123 heading "relay box and accessory relay".  Section: diode circuit inspection, relay box internal circuit.  There is a picture on that page of the headlight relay.  And the previous page has the location of the relay box.  Nothing about fuses.

But on pages 16-124 and 125, there are pictures showing the location of the fuse boxes, with no information at all about what is in each.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »
Not in MY third edition April 16, 2011 service manual.  16-123 heading "relay box and accessory relay".  Section: diode circuit inspection, relay box internal circuit.  There is a picture on that page of the headlight relay.  And the previous page has the location of the relay box.  Nothing about fuses.

But on pages 16-124 and 125, there are pictures showing the location of the fuse boxes, with no information at all about what is in each.

My bad. My bike is a 2011. My manual is the second edition, July 16, 2010. It shows the location of the three fuse boxes. What's in each box is on the top of each one.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold