Author Topic: Need help with suspension settings.  (Read 23043 times)

Offline dankelly64

Re: Need help with suspension settings.
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
  2011 C-14

Can someone school me on this?

Rear pre-load - Is adjusted by the little black knob by the left passenger footpeg.  The owners manual says you increase preload by turning clockwise and decrease preload by turning counterclockwise; but the chart on page 230 says the stock setting is "13 clicks counterclockwise from the fully seated 'weakest' position". Wouldn't the weakest position be the point where you could not turn it counterclockwise anymore - how can you go 13 clicks counterclockwise more from there?

Also I don't hear any clicks or feel any detents on the rear pre-load adjuster when I move it - so what do they mean by clicks?

How would get back to the stock setting?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
Oy Fey!  Too much thinking tonight.  It's not a click, more of a detent feel and you need to nearly rotate it 360 degrees to get one of them.   Imagine you are trying to open a safe....be one with the adjuster.  You will feel it grasshopper.

Good luck on getting back to stock whatever that is.  Depends on the jap tech that adjusted it at the factory.  If it was the guy that did my lights it could be anywhere.   Don't worry about what it was at stock...it's probably wrong anyway.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Brian_TN

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 03:41:13 PM »
Hey dankelly64,

I'm still trying to figure out the manual's reference to rear spring preload adjustment, too.  I agree that the fully seated position (clockwise) would be the strongest, not weakest, position.

Has anyone clarified this yet?

I have the Service Manual and it seems to explain this better (ie correctly).  It states

"The standard setting for an average-build rider of 68 kg (150 lb) with no passenger and no accessories is the 12th click from the 1st click of the fully counterclockwise position."

It also has a chart that states as the number of clicks increases, the suspension gets stronger/harder and is better for heavier loads.

This would confirm that fully counterclockwise is the weakest postion.

I think the info in the owner's manual was not translated correctly or is just wrong.

It's also interesting that the Service Manual shows 23 as the highest number of clicks.  I have seen charts and adjustments going up to 28 from full counterclockwise/out/soft.

Brian

2012 Red Concours 14
2006 Suzuki C90 (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
My 08 manual states 'Turning the adjuster clockwise increases the spring preload, and turning it counterclockwise decreases the spring preload.'.   Seems pretty clear to me.  So fully counterclockwise no spring preload.  Fully clockwise is full preload.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Brian_TN

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
Too bad Kawasaki couldn't keep it this straight forward in subsequent model year manuals.

Glad it's clear to you.
Brian

2012 Red Concours 14
2006 Suzuki C90 (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 04:22:45 AM »
I'd be interested to know what the later manual states...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
It is a common mistake to confuse the word  'preload' with spring rate (soft or hard) Pre-load  has nothing to do with soft or hard.
When I see this:  'Rear pre-load was way soft, about 4 turns in.'
and this:  It also has a chart that states as the number of clicks increases, the suspension gets stronger/harder......
and this: This would confirm that fully counterclockwise is the weakest postion.
and this:  any more than this and i find the bike jarring and harsh on ny bumby roads.
I know this setting is being misunderstood.

Pre Load means: The ride height or the geometry of the chassis of the bike.
Turn the preload  adjuster in for more Pre-load and the bike rides higher (rises). That is all it does and nothing more. It is designed to maintain proper ride height for added weight (or weight change).  If the spring rate  cannot hold the bike up to its proper ride height  due to extra weight with full pre-load  then the spring (s) needs to be replaced with a stiffer one(s).  You would have exceeded  the Sag settings (chassis geometry)which is done using the pre load adjusters.
 There is no other option. You cannot make the bike ride harder and softer  or the springs stronger by increasing pre-load.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 04:15:51 AM »
Excellent!

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2013, 10:28:03 PM »
Preload gets even more odd due to the progressive   linkages the bikes = use.  When you increase preload, you raise the back end (obviously) but, when this happens, it also sets the suspension linkage into more of the top of the progression curve...a softer position.  You often end up with  a bike that will ride "softer" due to where the linkage position is.