Author Topic: Hand going numb cure?  (Read 21717 times)

Offline Tremainiac

Hand going numb cure?
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
Took a 260 mile ride yesterday and discovered the hand numbing vibration at 80--90 mph, 3700-4000 rpm in my throttle hand.
Is there a simple solution.
Or will major surgery be required... to me or the bike?  :-[

Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Kazairl

Re: Hand going numb cure?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:48:51 PM »
Grip Puppies?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:56:56 AM »
The simple solution is to not go that fast.  Were you in 6th or a lower gear?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:07:04 AM »
Jim Jim Jim, Life begins at 85.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:14 AM »
My hands don't numb up at the upper speeds like OPs.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:13:52 AM »
Jim Jim Jim, Life begins at 85.

The way I'm going I won't live past 85.... ;)

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:58 AM »
80 is right around 4k on my bike and that is where I get the most vibration through the bars. The grip puppies helped but I still feel it. It doesn't make my hands go numb though so I don't worry about it.

Offline nsrrider

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »
my only cure was carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists.......routine and effective.....

i find a throttle lock useful for giving my throttle hand a break for a few seconds every now and then when I'm on the bikefor extended periods....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:08 AM »
I had this done on my right wrist.

Carpal Tunnel Injection

Hitting the median nerve should be avoided at ALL costs! Not much you can do about it though, that's why the doc gets paid the BIG bucks. My doc hit my median nerve and I'm here to tell you that I've never felt anything like that before, and I hope never to feel it again.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »
A lot of members report the angle change with Murph's wedges relieved the problem. Grip puppies help and changing bar-end weights may also help. I'd try these before resorting to surgery.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »
I find that its not the vibration that affects me. This bike is pretty smooth. It's the posture the stock seating position imposes. There's too much pressure on my wrist, and I find I take my left hand off the bar to rest and it changes my posture and relieves the right wrist pressure then any numbness goes away. I also developed a couple of flex moves I use on my right hand if driving conditions warrant both hands on the bars that does the same thing and releases the pressure on my right wrist.
I have a bone stock bike; but I'm looking forward to getting bar risers and a better saddle. I just have not committed to either yet.   
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline Deathwish

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
I have found two things that help with my hand numbness. One is the Throttle Rocker. The other is a set of motorcycle gloves made for CTS. http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/MotorcycleGlove.html The combination works pretty well for me.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »
I have found two things that help with my hand numbness. One is the Throttle Rocker. The other is a set of motorcycle gloves made for CTS. http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/MotorcycleGlove.html The combination works pretty well for me.

Those gloves look interesting. Can you comment on them a little more? Which model are you using?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »
As always, there are multiple possible solutions, varying in price and effectiveness.
Among them, change of grips, handlebar height and/or angle, cruise control, seating position, relaxing on the grips, etc.

Personally, I find that a throttle lock helps me most on longer trips.  Just being able to take the hand off the bar, and stretch/rotate/move the arm & hand makes a big difference.  Only a few seconds at a time, but frequently works well for me.  Same for legs, neck, etc.

I'm running BMW tapered grips and like them as well.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline kennqc

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »
i have finally solved my "hand going numb" problem.  during the coarse of solving it, i tried many things which helped somewhat: BMW hand grips, bar risers, and gel pad gloves.  The final solution was Phil's (Murph's) wedges.  I went for a 5 hour ride on Saturday and can report NO hand numbness.  YMMV

ken

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »
I've been practicing just not leaning on them, but so easy to fall back into the habit.  Often find myself making a concerted effort  to keep my weight on butt and legs...I might give these wedges a shot though.
Will

Offline Deathwish

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:18 AM »

I'm using the Qwi Nerve Protection Motorcycle Glove, Full Finger, No Cuff, Perforated Leather Top. One thing I will warn you is that they seem to run a bit small. Order the next size up from your usual size. They take a little getting used to as your hand now has the "u" shaped pad in the palm, but when I wear them, I have no numbness at all. If I don't wear them, my fingers start going numb within 20 - 30 minutes.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 01:38:10 PM »
ok I'll say something dumb!  strenghten your legs and start gripping the tank. not talking about a full court crushing grip but learn to involve your whole body in riding the bike. learned it from my sports bike buddies.
 all things being almost equal, this basicly is a sports bike as far as seating goes. by using the lower body and keeping the arms bent(no straight arms) it takes alot of pressure off the wrist.
 took me awhile to get the hang of it but now the thing that gets to me the most is my clutch hand from shifting. almost no sort hands or numbness. just my 2 cents

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »
80 is right around 4k on my bike and that is where I get the most vibration through the bars. The grip puppies helped but I still feel it. It doesn't make my hands go numb though so I don't worry about it.

Yep! Right around there.
Got grip puppies and gel palm gloves on.
80mph on the NJ Parkway and you'll be getting passed by Priuses.  :o
Guess I'll give the wedges a shot.
Want add the kaoko throttle lock as well, so the Murphs bar ends are out.
Wish me luck.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »
ok I'll say something dumb!  strenghten your legs and start gripping the tank. not talking about a full court crushing grip but learn to involve your whole body in riding the bike. learned it from my sports bike buddies.
 all things being almost equal, this basicly is a sports bike as far as seating goes. by using the lower body and keeping the arms bent(no straight arms) it takes alot of pressure off the wrist.
 took me awhile to get the hang of it but now the thing that gets to me the most is my clutch hand from shifting. almost no sort hands or numbness. just my 2 cents

It's not the riding position as much as the vibe in that specific range.
I've pulled 500 mile days on cafe'd Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Ninjette 250, amongst others.
Been riding 40 years. Tried moving up and back, relocating my grip position etc.
It's to bad the vibes occur at what is normal touring speed around these parts