Author Topic: My reaction to the news about too much meat causing cancer  (Read 18134 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: My reaction to the news about too much meat causing cancer
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »
Since I've made it to about 60, all the unhealthy stuff I've done just eliminated the crapping on my self years in the nursing home.

WIN!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »
There's a point at which "healthy lifestyle" impinges on quality of life.  Nothing I can think of would irritate me more than having to choke down a salad, then get run over by a truck.  If that same truck hit me after I walk out of Five Guys after a triple bacon cheeseburger, at least I enjoyed my last moments of life.

I'm a hardcore carnivore, so I say;

Vegetables are what food eats.

I'm a secondary vegetarian; I let the animals the the veggies, then I eat the animals.

Meat left out too long turns green; most vegetables start out green.  I'm not taking any chances.

To vegetarians: Your food grows in what my food dumps.

If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they keep eating all their food?

If animals aren't meant to be eaten, why are they made of meat?

Vegetarian - old indian word meaning "bad hunter".

Good health is just the slowest rate at which you can die.  All these healthy people are going to feel really silly years from now when they're in the hospital dying of nothing....

:rotflmao: Excellent!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 01:52:36 PM »
Yep, the typical American diet.... and the one I follow. Dead cow and pigs are meat with chicken being a vegetable. Chicken can also be used as a vehicle to hold fried batter, salt, butter and mayonnaise.

Now to be fair, reasonable and realistic, vegetarians live longer and perhaps more importantly, are healthier near the end of their lives. But it is tough to change the 'hearts and minds' of us old- timers so colon cancer is going to have to kill us all off to make way for the newer generations that hopefully eat better than we do. Sort of like smoking- I remember when smoking was not bad for us and just a little bit before my time, it was apparently actually good for us, at least going by the physicians endorsements of particular brands. If we 'fess up and tell the truth, the heath hazards of smoking were absolutely known and modestly well understood way back in the 1930's, when Germany became the first place to put controls on smoking.... about 50 years before the same movement started in the US.

Back to the meat thing (Easy Boys!): I know a couple of vegans and man, that is one tough way of life. Seriously- try looking around and see how far you get before virtually having to consume some animal product or by- product, especially in some odd things such as shoes, coats, etc.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 03:01:28 PM »
Flew into Llano TX yesterday, borrowed the curtesy car and went to the famous Cooper's for some TX BBQ ( http://www.coopersbbqllano.com ) Must have ate a pound of the stuff, both pig and cow. There was absolutely no room for veggies. Oh well, the road to hell is paved with BBQ.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
All I got from this is that BDF eats shoes and coats.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »
...and that Germany decided it was bad to smoke cigarettes but OK to smoke Jews.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 05:52:44 PM »
Dear Gary,

We regret to inform you that you have failed to reach an acceptable score on your recent coursework in political correctness.

:yikes: ;D

Say, how 'bout those folks wanting a separate, all- black, Academy Awards. Got any thoughts on that one?

Hey Jim, please just edit this thread as needed, it goes all the way back to when the baby Phoenix arose from the ashes of the earlier, dead forum- please do not lock it or move it to the arena.

Brian

...and that Germany decided it was bad to smoke cigarettes but OK to smoke Jews.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »
Uhmmmmmm. Been looking for a low- temp. smoker for a while myself. The pellet fired ones look like they may be the ticket to 'hands off', overnight smoking.

A friend of mine puts on pig roasts with a pretty big wood smoker mounted on a trailer (big enough for two complete pigs). Best meal I think I ever had was when he cleaned out his freezer, smoked everything and let a handful of us go at it with knives; absolutely the very best turkey I have ever had in my life and it must have had a 1/4" deep smoke ring, maybe a touch more.

Brian

Flew into Llano TX yesterday, borrowed the curtesy car and went to the famous Cooper's for some TX BBQ ( http://www.coopersbbqllano.com ) Must have ate a pound of the stuff, both pig and cow. There was absolutely no room for veggies. Oh well, the road to hell is paved with BBQ.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »
Dear Gary,

We regret to inform you that you have failed to reach an acceptable score on your recent coursework in political correctness.

:yikes: ;D

Say, how 'bout those folks wanting a separate, all- black, Academy Awards. Got any thoughts on that one?

Hey Jim, please just edit this thread as needed, it goes all the way back to when the baby Phoenix arose from the ashes of the earlier, dead forum- please do not lock it or move it to the arena.

Brian

Actually no, I've little tolerance for, and choose not to spend money on questionable entertainment brought to you by people who, by the very nature of their chosen profession, have no concept of reality.  8)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 09:18:28 PM »
True enough- they (the entertainment industry as a whole) do seem to be totally out of touch with anything even remotely resembling reality.

Back on topic: tomorrow's vegetable is going to be deep fried chicken wings. Never made those before but chicken, hot oil and salt.... what's not to like?

:-)

Brian

Actually no, I've little tolerance for, and choose not to spend money on questionable entertainment brought to you by people who, by the very nature of their chosen profession, have no concept of reality.  8)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »
Yeah, maybe a little reading compression trouble there. But I will say that the time I went vegan was perhaps the toughest 30 minutes of my entire life.

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 03:48:17 AM »
Yeah, maybe a little reading compression trouble there. But I will say that the time I went vegan was perhaps the toughest 30 minutes of my entire life.

Brian
Do you think he would comprehend the need to do a compression check to see if his reading is in trouble?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 05:30:19 AM »
I would be afraid to know where he plugged in and how much pressure it generated.

:yikes:

Brian

Do you think he would comprehend the need to do a compression check to see if his reading is in trouble?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 08:53:56 AM »

Brian

Is "compression" how people pronounce "comprehension" while chewing on a shoe?

:P

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 04:57:05 AM »

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »

Just so it's not an organic sandal..
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 07:04:11 AM »
True enough- they (the entertainment industry as a whole) do seem to be totally out of touch with anything even remotely resembling reality.

Back on topic: tomorrow's vegetable is going to be deep fried chicken wings. Never made those before but chicken, hot oil and salt.... what's not to like?

:-)

Brian

Nothing not to like! But deep frying takes a lot of oil so what I do is make a rub such as, garlic salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika  and maybe turmeric. Put it in a gallon plastic bag with the wings, shake to cover all the wings. On a foil lined cookie sheet add some oil, put the wings on the sheet in a 425 degree oven, turn after 15 minutes and serve with sauce after 30 minutes. Easy peasy and my kind of vegetarian.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »
This sounds mouth watering.  Do you have a recipe for the rub?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »
This sounds mouth watering.  Do you have a recipe for the rub?

Yup: garlic salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika  and maybe turmeric. Tablespoon or so each of garlic salt and paprika, 1/2 teaspoon or so each of cayenne pepper (unless your MOB, then a quart of cayenne pepper), black pepper and turmeric. I never measure it, I just put it in the bag by sight. I do put the cayenne in before the paprika so I can see how much it there.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »
We have had them baked for years but I really wanted to try deep frying them. I used soy sauce, garlic, ginger, veg. oil and a bit of water to marinade them. Then into the deep fryer at 375F..... unfortunately, the plug- in fryer that we have just does not have the wattage to keep the oil over 250F once the wings are cooking. It still worked well, just took a long time and had to do smaller batches. They were excellent! I think this might become a regular thing around here but next time I will use a large burner on the stove to keep the oil hotter while frying them.

Brian

Nothing not to like! But deep frying takes a lot of oil so what I do is make a rub such as, garlic salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika  and maybe turmeric. Put it in a gallon plastic bag with the wings, shake to cover all the wings. On a foil lined cookie sheet add some oil, put the wings on the sheet in a 425 degree oven, turn after 15 minutes and serve with sauce after 30 minutes. Easy peasy and my kind of vegetarian.