Author Topic: Which oil?  (Read 19675 times)

Offline amigoride

Re: Which oil?
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
Oil threads make me (and a lot of others) crazy!

We keep hearing "never had a problem" testimonies........... Has anyone ever had an oil related engine failure?? Never had a problem because no one has ever had a problem....or have they?
Seems to me "motorcycle" specific oil is 90% marketing. If you read all the "research" most of us come to the conclusion that there are dozens of oil products (almost any) that will work just fine.
There are literally hundreds of different oil labels out there. Do you really think they produce that many "different" products. Don't cave into all the marketing crap. Do some reading, go with what makes you comfortable. It's all good.
Change the stuff regularly and ride the thing.
JMHO

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »

We keep hearing "never had a problem" testimonies........... Has anyone ever had an oil related engine failure?? Never had a problem because no one has ever had a problem....or have they?
Seems to me "motorcycle" specific oil is 90% marketing. If you read all the "research" most of us come to the conclusion that there are dozens of oil products (almost any) that will work just fine.
There are literally hundreds of different oil labels out there. Do you really think they produce that many "different" products. Don't cave into all the marketing crap. Do some reading, go with what makes you comfortable. It's all good.
Change the stuff regularly and ride the thing.
JMHO
   Exactly!! You said it better than I could have. Thanks. :goodpost:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »

Motul - 300V Ester Synthetic Oil
 10W40 -   

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:18:16 PM by gildaguz »
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »

+1

I would imagine if you never changed your oil, it would be 30-40K... maybe more... before you'd ever have an oil related failure.  Would damage be occurring during that time?  Sure... but I bet the engine & tranny would still be functioning without issue.

Just a guess though.  Anyone wanna try it in the name of science?  :)
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »
+1

I would imagine if you never changed your oil, it would be 30-40K... maybe more... before you'd ever have an oil related failure.  Would damage be occurring during that time?  Sure... but I bet the engine & tranny would still be functioning without issue.

Just a guess though.  Anyone wanna try it in the name of science?  :)

Have 20,000 hours on the oil with 24,000 hours since last rebuild of our main diesel engines with only filter changes and replenishment of oil lost or used. Only reason oils were changed at 4,000 hours were due to the oils being contaminated by crankcase explosions or failures.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »

Motul - 300V Ester Synthetic Oil
 10W40 - 1 Liter

better add a couple more liters
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline vman

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
ha ha....oil.....  as long as its OIL  and roughly the right grade then youre done.   Has anybody short of a racer or extreme rider had ANY oil problems?     I have been riding since I was 10 years old and destroyed bikes in many ways but NEVER had a problem with oil.   As long as its something between 5w40 and 20w50 and its on sale I will use it.     Unless I am riding across the sahara desert and my freaking life depends on it.      Mostly like has been mentioned already I think youre buying a feel-good product for yourself..... the bike doesnt care but you have the bragging rights and can feel smug!   I am not sure what brand is in my connie but I know I got a good deal on it!   

Offline medicevans

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
I've had oil related problems for a while now. Every time I rub it on my wife I end up.....oh wait. Engine oil.  Nevermind..........

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
I saw the Motul at the dealership the other day and DAMN it was expensive. Not for me thanks.