Author Topic: programing rfid key to start c14  (Read 21127 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: programing rfid key to start c14
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
First time I've seen this. He doesn't say which kind of key he bought at the hardware store. Critical information I would think.

He said it was a Ford truck key didn't he? Or that's what was mentioned in the original thread?
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline clogan

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
He said it was a Ford truck key didn't he? Or that's what was mentioned in the original thread?

I recall "Ford" somewhere as well. No matter, though. I think the whole thing may be BS anyhow...well, at least the key dude at my ACE hardware says it's BS.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
Ford?  Why couldn't it have been a Dodge!  Oh the humanity!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
No wonder nobody can get it to work.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
I do not think we have even given this a fair shot until we test at least, say, 50% of all car makes. What if a Mercedes Benz key works? How about a Ducati (not a car brand I know but I want to be thorough)? Perhaps Joseph Lucas has something that would work in a pinch? Seeing as a new Kawasaki fob is $35, I think we should really make an effort here to find an alternate(s)! Even if it is more expensive, it would still be a buy! "We will spare no expense in saving money." Words to live by.... :o ;)

Brian

No wonder nobody can get it to work.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
Here's a webpage with a search option for locksmiths with programming/cloning capabilities:

http://www.keylessride.com/company/locations.asp

I don't know poop about all this, but if you search the interweb, you'll find people with all kinds of different vehicles having keys cloned at select ACE Hardware stores and select locksmiths.

I suppose it's like anything else...you'd have to find one that knows what they're doing....almost like looking for a competent Kawasaki dealer eh?...lol.

In the end, like BDF has mentioned above...you can buy the correct OEM spare FOB for a little over $30, and know it will work. A dealer can install/program the bike, or one of us that has a KDS kit...there are a few C14 folks with them now in various corners on North America...lol.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline copdocpvd

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
I call bullsh*t on the video, go to the original on youtube and he doesn't answer any viewer questions.

What piqued my interest on this was basically, what if you could program a key transponder (like the typical $30 ebay option), sit on the bike and press one of the buttons, and turn the key to start the bike?  That would be very cool.  Even if the transponder key option doesn't work remotely/actively, it would still be far less than half of the price of a backup passive transponder and programming (my dealership wanted a full hour for programming) and it leaves a slot open for programming.

Local locksmith here was unsuccessful in an attempt to even identify the chip in my passive transponder and active FOB.  They said it's theoretically possible to pull the RFID info from the FOB, but the chips being used don't come up on the scans (which means it's unscannable, too rare to be read on a normal system, or a combination).

I posted on a couple facebook forums, and no one of thousands has ever DONE this, they just "know of someone who did it" or "know a guy whose cousin's mailman's brother's friend's sister's next door neighbor did it." 

Looks like an urban legend, unfortunately

"When life throws you a curve...lean into it!"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
But that just dismisses the entire point of KiPass, which is to mesmerize, transfix, awe (or is that aw as in 'aw shucks, my bike won't start'?) and generally be a legend in its own time! Of course if you are going to look at this logically or realistically, what you say is accurate enough but what about the splendor? What about the rapture? How about the extreme emotions KiPass evokes? Surely you are not going to try and dismiss all of that, are you?

KiPass is the punch- line to a joke no one has even heard. KiPass is legend. KiPass is.... well, one must sit in the lotus position and repeat 'Uhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm' over and over again to really become one with KiPass.

If I could find the person(s) who put this thing on a C-14, I would bow down before him / her as that person(s) is truly divine. I have my moments of pretty good humor but never could I have come up with anything as fiendishly ingenious as KiPass.

UHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM.....

;) ::)

Brian

I call bullsh*t on the video, go to the original on youtube and he doesn't answer any viewer questions.

<snip>

I posted on a couple facebook forums, and no one of thousands has ever DONE this, they just "know of someone who did it" or "know a guy whose cousin's mailman's brother's friend's sister's next door neighbor did it." 

Looks like an urban legend, unfortunately
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 04:50:08 PM »
But that just dismisses the entire point of KiPass, which is to mesmerize, transfix, awe (or is that aw as in 'aw shucks, my bike won't start'?) and generally be a legend in its own time! Of course if you are going to look at this logically or realistically, what you say is accurate enough but what about the splendor? What about the rapture? How about the extreme emotions KiPass evokes? Surely you are not going to try and dismiss all of that, are you?

KiPass is the punch- line to a joke no one has even heard. KiPass is legend. KiPass is.... well, one must sit in the lotus position and repeat 'Uhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm' over and over again to really become one with KiPass.

If I could find the person(s) who put this thing on a C-14, I would bow down before him / her as that person(s) is truly divine. I have my moments of pretty good humor but never could I have come up with anything as fiendishly ingenious as KiPass.

UHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM.....

;) ::)

Brian

I can feel the power of KIPASS...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
Is that what happened to Bob?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »
Got a promotion?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 09:33:12 PM »
Bob? Bob who? Who is this Bob of whom you speak?

Has he fallen into the KiPass fold?

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 04:06:48 AM »
I believe he fell out of the fold.  Nice enough guy, but KIPASS got the better of him.

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
We have an automotive locksmith we use at our repair shop. I took my FOB's to him, he said the active FOB would be a challenge to clone but he could clone the spare FOB easily. The cost would be $60 for the key and $20 for the labor, so I bought the Kawasaki passive FOB online instead. My dealer could not figure out how to program the FOB (they were trying to use the active fob program) so they told me I needed the ID number for the fob and I would need to order another one. The place I ordered my fob online sent me another one for free and the dealer ordered me one too. They still could not figure it out so they let me do it myself and show them how to do it (for free). By the time we were done I had 3 new passive fob's programmed to the bike for $60 parts and labor. It took 3 trips to the dealer though.
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 05:03:50 AM »
My dealer could not figure out how to program the FOB (they were trying to use the active fob program) so they told me I needed the ID number for the fob and I would need to order another one. The place I ordered my fob online sent me another one for free and the dealer ordered me one too. They still could not figure it out so they let me do it myself and show them how to do it (for free). By the time we were done I had 3 new passive fob's programmed to the bike for $60 parts and labor. It took 3 trips to the dealer though.

Haha...I've been through this very situation myself. The problem is, they try to program the spare FOB like an active FOB, and it just doesn't work that way. It helps if the dealer knows that the spare FOB is actually called the "Immobilizer Key" in the KIPass software;).

Rem

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2014, 06:19:42 AM »
We have an automotive locksmith we use at our repair shop. I took my FOB's to him, he said the active FOB would be a challenge to clone but he could clone the spare FOB easily. The cost would be $60 for the key and $20 for the labor, so I bought the Kawasaki passive FOB online instead. My dealer could not figure out how to program the FOB (they were trying to use the active fob program) so they told me I needed the ID number for the fob and I would need to order another one. The place I ordered my fob online sent me another one for free and the dealer ordered me one too. They still could not figure it out so they let me do it myself and show them how to do it (for free). By the time we were done I had 3 new passive fob's programmed to the bike for $60 parts and labor. It took 3 trips to the dealer though.

Soooo.

You did the programming yourself and then showed them how to do it?

Who paid who?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2014, 11:13:33 AM »
Soooo.

You did the programming yourself and then showed them how to do it?

Who paid who?    ;)
It is a great dealership! Everything they have tried to do for me they have f**ked up and I end up getting the repair for free.
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline sharum

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
I've had my bike for a bit over 1 month... yep already lost the active FOB.
I went to my friendly Locksmith and took them my passive fob and She made me a copy of my passive FOB
She used a JMA key from a 1999-2004 F150  TPX2FO-150D.P
she told me the blanks weren't cheap but she said she would do this for $40 +tax.  She even trimmed the blade portion off of the key so it's now just a FOB.
I ask and she will do the same for you... to save on shipping I would include a Self  Addressed envelope for the return mail w/insurance)
From my understanding, when you have a key cloned, it doesn't take up one of the limited memory spaces on the KiPass system. Message me if you have questions.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 01:47:37 PM »
Thanks for posting. We've heard rumors of this being possible but no concrete confirmation.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 03:37:21 PM »
Good post. That looks like a path to get a new passive fob without having to have the bike programmed to recognize the new fob (because the new fob is emulating the original fob).

Seeing as that is a commercial product, I would think at least some other locksmiths could do the same thing, and perhaps be local to other C-14 owners. ??

By the way, the memory slots for the passive side of KiPass are re-writable so getting a new passive fob and having the bike coded to use it does not 'burn' or waste a memory slot. The RF side of KiPass however does use non re- writable slots and there are only six of them provide for the life of the KiPass ECU although I think it unlikely any C-14 or any motorcycle in the future would ever use all six slots and then lose all six fobs....

Brian

I've had my bike for a bit over 1 month... yep already lost the active FOB.
I went to my friendly Locksmith and took them my passive fob and She made me a copy of my passive FOB
She used a JMA key from a 1999-2004 F150  TPX2FO-150D.P
she told me the blanks weren't cheap but she said she would do this for $40 +tax.  She even trimmed the blade portion off of the key so it's now just a FOB.
I ask and she will do the same for you... to save on shipping I would include a Self  Addressed envelope for the return mail w/insurance)
From my understanding, when you have a key cloned, it doesn't take up one of the limited memory spaces on the KiPass system. Message me if you have questions.