Author Topic: Gas Cap Key  (Read 5516 times)

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Re: Gas Cap Key
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 04:41:17 AM »
Gee I've been using the ignition all these years,  what's the problem :o

Every time I see these posts I wonder the same thing:
1. Pull up to the pump
2. Turn the ignition switch to the right instead of the left
3. Without taking your hand off the key, pull it out

It takes more effort to fish a key out of a pocket or the glovebox.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 07:53:57 AM »
It comes out??!!

1. Pull up to the pump

2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 08:54:56 AM »

1. Pull up to the pump

This. At least as long as the gas cap lock turns freely.

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 08:58:55 AM »
Wait, so you can open the gas cap without the fob key? The stove knob has a key built in!?
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline Cuda

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 10:42:54 AM »

I guess your wife never gave you the lubrication talk ;)
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 12:09:41 PM »
Cuda, how did you manage to get a picture of Yoda's mother???    :o  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »

^  That, exactly.  I usually use the "main" key (stove knob) to open the gas tank.... except when the gas cap starts getting impossible and needs cleaning and lubrication for the one millionth time.  I don't want to damage that knob.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 03:05:10 PM »
Wait, so you can open the gas cap without the fob key? The stove knob has a key built in!?

You are joking, right?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 04:25:12 PM »

1. Pull up to the pump

seeing as I never tempt fate, and hate the thought of trying to find a "K-Rock", my stove knob has only been removed 3 times in 10 years... and only to 'test it'.

that stove knob is an expensive key, ($20+ and add shipping and time to get it) and finding a place that can actually cut a new blank one, without gooching it up first try, and repeating the order process again, is not in the cards...
By all rights, they are pretty damned fragile, I've seen quite a few people with stripped wratchet internals on them (from someone attempting to turn it without activating it), rendering them inoperative temporarily, until you drill a hole in the plastic part, and fill it with glue/JB Weld. Rotating said key to the 'remove' position becomes a tricky thing when that happens...

I also find it a bit stupid on Kaw's part, to make the key removable ONLY when turned to the right... when the LOCK position is to the left, and if you are actuating the lock, you really want to remove that key anyways, because some idiot, the same person that is the reason you are locking the forks for, will attempt to turn that key... and wreck the guts inside. then you are totally gooched...

as for the "expended effort" thing...
it takes more effort to climb off the bike, remove my helmet and gloves, un-clip my tank bag and move it, figure/decide which fuel grade I feel like getting raped over, fishing around in my Stich inner pocket for my wallet, and credit card, getting the pump going, and reversing all of those motions when finished....before I reset my trip odometer to zero again,  than it does for me to pop the extra fob out of my outer jacket pocket and remove the key and open and close the tank....

creature of habit so to speak, after doing this for 10 years, I don't break the tradition, and don't loose my FOB... I also refuse to be interrupted by people trying to talk to me at a gas pump.... that's where FOBS get misplaced.... ::) ;)

Of course, some folks don't have tank bags.
Don't press down on the tank lid, while turning the key.
Don't get off bike to fuel up.
don't remove helmet, or gloves.
Struggle to reach the nozzle and credit card slot from seated on a bike..
Find it a perfect time to make a cell phone call, or text some one.
and generally don't care if they by some happenstance spill fuel, all over themselves or their gloves.  or have to 'emergency run away' from the bike during the process...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
amazingly, there are gas stations still operating here in the U.S.A., where you have to get off the bike, manually actuate the pump, and then WALK IN to pay the person at the counter... OMG... that is totally redunculous.... :yikes:

ride safe, and don't take this as seriously, most of it is just injecting humor.

peace.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 04:53:30 PM »
I thought all of it was pretty funny :rotflmao:
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »
I thought all of it was pretty funny :rotflmao:

Me too.

I will say that I never try to gas the bike while on it, and I always leave my helmet on at gas stations (too much work to remove, especially in the winter, yeesh).  Have to remove at least my right glove and do have to go into the side bag to get my credit card (unless I was planning gas first thing and put the CC in my shirt pocket, but then I still go into the bag to put it away when done.).

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2018, 05:47:14 PM »
Me too.

I will say that I never try to gas the bike while on it, and I always leave my helmet on at gas stations (too much work to remove, especially in the winter, yeesh).  Have to remove at least my right glove and do have to go into the side bag to get my credit card (unless I was planning gas first thing and put the CC in my shirt pocket, but then I still go into the bag to put it away when done.).

I've probably seen at least 6 times in the last 2 years, riders getting a high octane douche, sitting on the bike, then trying to jump off it while holding the filler nozzle... very entertaining..
I always pull both gloves off, as trying to guide the nozzel in, and remove it, without spillage every time, is futile, and I hate having nice gloves wet with gasoline.. bummer, and fishing my wallet out, and operating keys, without them is much easier.
as for the helmet thing, I've been wearing a flip up front model for 10 years, and I could just flip it up, but as I usually have to put my glasses on anyways, it's simpler to remove it.. plus, in summer, It is cooler... and a gas stop many times is just a break from riding, and removing the helmet is more comfy on a break.
I did have an instance once, with a brand new helmet, first ride with it, where someone had ruined the fuel filler nozzle/hose junction, and compromised the 'break-away' junction probably tried to drive off with it in the filler on their car... and the hose itself was split... why it wasn't spitting fuel prior, I have no idea, didn't notice it until I squeezed the nozzle, and immediately got a gasoline shower.. soaked the helmet foam, and ruined the helmet... I walked into the cashier and set the helmet on the counter, and demanded the manager pay for it... which he did, I shoulda got a new pair of boots outta that deal, because I didn't realize they were soaked also... wife wouldn't let me bring them in the house after that.. could not get them to a point where they were normal again. The rest of my clothes at that I had on went into the fire pit..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 07:08:41 AM »
The rest of my clothes at that I had on went into the fire pit..

Was it the easiest fire you ever lit?

Also, I honestly had no idea the knob was a key until I tried pulling on it yesterday. Now I'm curious if I can use the fob key instead of the knob..
My stove knob key was already slightly bent. The gas cap is already quite hard to open. Going to take the gas cap apart and clean. If it's much better after that, I'll start using the knob. I'm afraid I'm going to lose they key getting gas one day.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 09:17:37 AM »
Me too.

I rarely ever get off the bike to fill it.  Maybe it comes from years of riding at “work”, but I’ve gotten so used to it, rarely do I ever spill or have any problem from it.  Plus, it ensures I get the most fuel in the tank possible.  I usually have to take of a glove off though, to fish out my debit card and maintain finer control of the filler nozzle. 

With the Kawa, I’ve always taken the stove knob out to open the gas lid.  My locking mech still functions perfectly, so I haven’t had any of the “gunking up” problems that some of you have dealt with. 

Our local Chevron now has a NFC reader so its even easier to use my phone or smart watch.  Hopefully, more stations go with those.  Very convenient. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 10:28:53 AM »
Me too- I never get off the bike to fuel it. Never spilled any fuel either. Chain saws, firearms, nail guns, gasoline..... none are inherently dangerous but all are very unforgiving. :-)

I too use the stove knob key unless I am on a timed run; if timed, I put a fob key in the fuel cap and leave it there for the duration of the ride. With two credit cards in the left inside breast pocket of my jacket (I am right- handed), it is extremely fast to fuel and get back up to riding speed.

As far as gloves, I can fuel with gloves on (except Aerostitch triple- digit rain cover gloves, which reduce human dexterity to that of a quahog.....) but I have to take off the right glove to unzip the pocket and use the credit card.

Brian

I rarely ever get off the bike to fill it.  Maybe it comes from years of riding at “work”, but I’ve gotten so used to it, rarely do I ever spill or have any problem from it.  Plus, it ensures I get the most fuel in the tank possible.  I usually have to take of a glove off though, to fish out my debit card and maintain finer control of the filler nozzle. 

With the Kawa, I’ve always taken the stove knob out to open the gas lid.  My locking mech still functions perfectly, so I haven’t had any of the “gunking up” problems that some of you have dealt with. 

Our local Chevron now has a NFC reader so its even easier to use my phone or smart watch.  Hopefully, more stations go with those.  Very convenient.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »
Was it the easiest fire you ever lit?

LOL!  I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I honestly had no idea the knob was a key until I tried pulling on it yesterday.

:)  Ok, now you get the lecture to sit down and read your whole owner's manual!

Now I'm curious if I can use the fob key instead of the knob..

Of course.  They are all the same.  Of course, the other keys offer no weather protection, so that should be an "emergency only" type thing (at least remove it when done each time).

My stove knob key was already slightly bent.

Yep, that happens.

The gas cap is already quite hard to open. Going to take the gas cap apart and clean. If it's much better after that, I'll start using the knob.

It will be..... at least for a while.  My "while" seems to be getting shorter and shorter each time.

I'm afraid I'm going to lose they key getting gas one day.

Do the mod I outlined in the gas cap thread, then you can unlock the cap and IMMEDIATELY put the key knob back in the ignition.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »
When I was 16 I had a job at a gas station (remember when someone else pumped it for you), that qualifies me as a professional  ;)

I normally don't get off the bike,  but once I was filling up a Chevy Nova, the gas cap was behind the license plate I guess I had my legs spread  and there

must have been an air pocket because of all of a sudden gas sprayed back out on to my virgin balls, man did that burn I remember running to the john  :-[ 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver