Author Topic: New to me 08  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Will

New to me 08
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »
Hi all.  8)

Just picked up an 08 C14, has just 15k on it currently.
I have not owned a bike in close to three years since I sold my last one (00CBR1100XX).
Just getting used to owning a bike again.
I'm really impressed with it, I know I have a lot to learn about it as I have never owned a Kawasaki before, mostly Hondas, a couple of Yamaha's and a couple Suzuki's.
I'm in the SoCal region (San Diego), looking forward to reading the forums for anything helpful on it.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: New to me 08
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:06:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Will. You have acquired the best year C14. Remember...with great power comes great responsibility.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Will. :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Will. You have acquired the best year C14. Remember...with great power comes great responsibility.

+1!  Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Brian G

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
Hi Will -

I'd be interested, once you have a few miles under the wheels, in hearing your thoughts on how the two machines compare. While looking for a sport-tourer, I was very close to buying an '02 Blackbird last week before being won over by the six year newer, fully-equipped C14 - for not a whole lot more money - which now lives in my garage. She's an '08 as well - and as I understand it, the silver ones are the fastest  ;D

Regards,
2008 Kawasaki C14,     1979 Honda CBX
1978 Honda CB550K,    1977 Yamaha XS650D Cafe
1976 Kawasaki KH400,  1969 BSA Rocket 3

Offline Will

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
Hi Will -

I'd be interested, once you have a few miles under the wheels, in hearing your thoughts on how the two machines compare. While looking for a sport-tourer, I was very close to buying an '02 Blackbird last week before being won over by the six year newer, fully-equipped C14 - for not a whole lot more money - which now lives in my garage. She's an '08 as well - and as I understand it, the silver ones are the fastest  ;D

Regards,

Hi Brian,

I have just over 400 miles on the ZG now, I would say for me that the XX is/was a very well built, extremely reliable bike. Mine had over 100K on it when I sold it. It never needed anything other than tires, brakes, chains, and fluids.
The ZG though feels like what I and I'm sure a lot of XX owners were trying to modify it into, all in a more complete and polished package.
For a "seat of the pants feel" the XX was a bit more aggressive feeling in getting up to speed, the ZG feels just as fast but gets up to speed much more smoothly.
Had this bike been out in the early 2000's I would have been hard pressed not to choose it over the XX. I know I wasn't really drawn to the look of the older model ZG and never thought seriously about buying one, nor was I drawn to the looks of the ST1300, I had considered the FJR for a very small moment. When the current model ZG came out I loved the design and look of it but still owned my XX so I kept trying to comfort mod it, added riders peg lowering blocks, bar risers, bag mounts, seat modifications, and just about tried anything anyone recommended for comfort as I had put in some long trips on it during my period of ownership.
Now that I have a few miles on the ZG I wish I would have made the jump in 08.
This bike does everything the XX does but does it better in my opinion and I loved my XX.  I had paid close to 10K for my 1 year old XX and it was in factory low mileage condition at time of purchase. I paid quite a bit less for my reasonably low mileage ZG so as far as bang for buck I think I have found it in this bike.
I'm sure my opinion will change some during my ownership but right now it's hitting all the right buttons for me.

Will.