Author Topic: 08 Conny to a 18 Conny  (Read 762 times)

Offline Coomers

08 Conny to a 18 Conny
« on: October 12, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »
Back in 08 there were some that lost there saddle bags so Kawasaki upgraded the latches and offered the retrofit to all Conny 14 owners.

Even after the upgrade, I followed other form members and drilled out the bottom latch point to further secure the bags.

When traveling I can at times have a fair amount of weight in my bags, is it still advisable to add the extra security measures on newish Conny's?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 08 Conny to a 18 Conny
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 10:29:28 PM »
When traveling I can at times have a fair amount of weight in my bags, is it still advisable to add the extra security measures on newish Conny's?

It can't hurt.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »
Back in 08 there were some that lost there saddle bags so Kawasaki upgraded the latches and offered the retrofit to all Conny 14 owners.

Even after the upgrade, I followed other form members and drilled out the bottom latch point to further secure the bags.

I would, because it's cheap insurance.

I think the extra weight would really hold them in place better than being empty.

Someone suggested that some unwanted stress can occur if the bag is loaded heavily and it can't flex enough because the pin won't allow it. I don't know
how true that is, but I did as they suggested and drilled the holes in the bag slightly over sized relative to the pin diameter so that the pin will keep the bag
from coming off but it can still move or flex a bit without binding on the pin. IIRC my pin and initial drill was 3/16" and then I enlarged the saddlebag holes to 1/4"
leaving the hole in the stay at 3/16" giving me 1/32" clearance all around the pin.

Probably not important and much ado over nothing, but I thought I'd mention it.

Offline zhangjx0545

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
What retrofit does Kawasaki recommend? I have a 09, does the bags have same issue?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »
I think it was fixed (according to Kawasaki) in 2009 and up. Some of us like to be sure (mine is 2010 model).

C14 Recall info: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=42.0

I would go down the list and see which apply to your bike and then verify by inspection that they have been performed. 

Then I'd get a drill and pin the bags.  :rotflmao:

..but...then..I'm sort of a belt and suspenders kind of person. I have both the front fender extender and a radiator guard, so naturally
I have my bags pinned as well. ::) :P :o
Whenever I work anywhere near the front of the bike I stuff all the openings with rags in case I drop a tool to prevent it from
falling down in the fairing never to be seen again. And you don't even want to hear about the operating room type ridiculousness that goes
 on when I'm messing with Brake fluid. :o :nuts: :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 02:16:13 PM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 03:09:18 PM »
I think it was fixed (according to Kawasaki) in 2009 and up. Some of us like to be sure (mine is 2010 model).

Exactly.  I don't "pin", I use the little metal wire things that don't require drilling.  But similar concept.  I figured an ounce of prevention is worth several pounds of headache.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Coomers

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »
Thanks guys,

I'll put the pinning of the saddle bags on my build list.

P.S. I too ran a rad guard and fender extender on my 08....