Author Topic: starter won't disengage  (Read 3289 times)

Offline sport rider

starter won't disengage
« on: June 17, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
I did some searches, but didn't seem to find any info to help me.

I have a new problem that came up on my last leg back from VA this weekend.  when I got home, my bike would not turn off, even with the key switched off.  specifically, the starter would continue to cycle and was trying to fire.  turn the key back on and the motor starts running again.  I had to disconnect the batter to get it to stop.  if I touch the battery leads to the battery, the starter starts cranking.  I had no problems with the bike starting all weekend.

seems like it's either the ignition switch, starter relay, or Jbox.

any troubleshooting before I dive in?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: starter won't disengage
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 01:30:04 PM »

I have a new problem that came up on my last leg back from VA this weekend.  when I got home, my bike would not turn off, even with the key switched off.  specifically, the starter would continue to cycle and was trying to fire.  turn the key back on and the motor starts running again.  I had to disconnect the batter to get it to stop.  if I touch the battery leads to the battery, the starter starts cranking.  I had no problems with the bike starting all weekend.

First thing I’d do is just what you did.  Come here and ask the experts (And I am NO expert).  MOB,  BDF and Maxtog are your best bets.  (Also, provide year, mileage and anything else you can imagine pertinent to your bike’s history and it’s issues) 

Second thing, while I waited for intelligent responses, I would find and disconnect the starter relay.  (Sorry, I don’t know where that’s at).  It seems to me that a stuck relay would cause the symptoms you’re describing. If disconnecting the relay stops the problem, replace it and you should be done.  (Sometimes, rapping a relay with a screwdriver handle or something similar can get it to release, but that is not the same as fixing the problem). If the starter relay is the culprit, you must replace it. 

Also, I’m not quite sure what you mean by your bike not turning off, even with the key switched off.  Do you mean that the engine kept running or that the starter kept cranking?  If the engine kept running, you might have more problems than just a stuck starter relay. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

iEEEEEEEEE   ??? ???

you say 3 things that make it confusing to understand...

I'm sure you got drenched during most of that ride, I know how that weather has been...  a lot of water may have made it into a lot of places... and created some shorts...

You say when it "was running", turning the key to off, did not shut off the engine...
Then, you say it was trying to crank, and run, with the key off, and was running..... was the starter cranking when the engine was running??
Then, disconnecting the battery (shuts everything off, correct?), and when batt re-attached, and key off, it tries to start again?

hmmmmmmmm...

Did you by any chance, try using the "stop" switch on the right grip, to attempt to turn the bike off when it was running, and the key switch wasn't responding?  That would help diagnose, that switch "kills" the power to the keyswitch, and the system related to starter...

unplug the key switch from the harness, blow it out with compressed air, followed by an extreme flushing with WD-40, and blow it out again... take that switch out of the equation for now, and re-attach the battery.. if it tries to start, I would question the solenoid... being "latched". turn that "stop switch off and on a couple times to see what occurrs (the one on the right grip)..
If nothing happens, then re-install the connection of the ignition switch (with battery disconnected), and connect the battery after... cycle the key switch, if "nothing wierd happened", and see what follows...

lastly, remove the right hand switch pod, and blow it out with high pressure air also, and flush with WD-40, and follow the blow out again with air...

the list of drop down areas are:
Key switch, shorted by water, or just worn out
Stop switch grip pod shorted, and starter button also, by water.
Starter solenoid "latched", internally shorted or failed from age.
J-box malfunction, internal short, or latched relay on board...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »
thanks for the replies. 

Rich...no rain over the weekend more than a few sprinkles, and that was early in the day, so moisture isn't likely the issue.

I tried the key turning off as well as the kill switch.  the motor shut down, but starter continued to crank.  when I turned the key or the switch back on, the motor came back to life, but I could also year the starter still turning.

mileage is 80k.  other than routine maintenance, water pump, seals, etc, there's nothing special done to the bike.  SISF did the carbs and we put in torque cams at about 70k. 

I figured I'd remove the tank and unplug the key switch and try, then unplug the kill switch and try.  then swap out the starter relay and then try jbox.  had not considered the starter solenoid.  will add that to the list to check.

thanks guys!!!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »
I would start with the solenoid. It is either stuck on or is getting voltage that keeps it engaged. Disconnect the wire to the starter So You can try engaging or disengaging the Illinois.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 07:14:48 PM »
I would start with the solenoid. It is either stuck on or is getting voltage that keeps it engaged. Disconnect the wire to the starter So You can try engaging or disengaging the Illinois.

If you have the secret to disengaging Illinois please share. You will be doing millions a great service.  8)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
stop.
replace the solenoid with a generic el-cheapo 12v solenoid from Autozone, and hook it up to see what happens.
I think it's solenoid related, i.e. latched..

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:44 PM »
I would say if you could show us how to disengage Florida you would be doing everyone a favor.

If you have the secret to disengaging Illinois please share. You will be doing millions a great service.  8)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 01:31:12 AM »
 Spell check at its finest😁
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline sport rider

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »
if we're gonna disengage anything, can it be California?  just sayin.....

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 11:55:40 AM »
California?! Then you can say goodbye to almost all modern innovations you have enjoyed since the late 70s. We would have to be having this conversation over snail mail.

Getting rid of FL won't be felt one bit. They have nothing useful. We can get our oranges from CA if need be and CA has better beaches.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »
California?! Then you can say goodbye to almost all modern innovations you have enjoyed since the late 70s. We would have to be having this conversation over snail mail.

Getting rid of FL won't be felt one bit. They have nothing useful. We can get our oranges from CA if need be and CA has better beaches.

meh... LETS NOT GET THIS SHUT DOWN OVER GEOGRAPHICAL SEMANTICS...
besides, Cali will drop into the ocean soon following some big quake.... Florida, gets blown away yearly.. and is where we send our old people... we need that place... now D.C., welll we could easily do away with that place. Just kidding.. back to the subject at hand, which is his starter woes.. mmmmmkayyyy?

Oh, and up here in Ohio, we just say... "don't be a dork, or we will shut off all your fresh water...." and we mean it... hehehehehhe

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
It won't get shut down over a bit of fun....mmmmmkayyy?  ::)

Offline sport rider

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 10:29:20 AM »
I dunno....key west for New Year's eve was one heck of an event!   :D

Offline sport rider

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »
been sick as a dog this week, but feeling slightly better today.  decided to spend a few minutes in the garage.  swapped out the solenoid and it's all good. 

I realized this solenoid was a new one that I had bought for my project bike and was swapping back and forth as I was troubleshooting.  Note to self...when buying one of these, get a good quality one.  IIRC, this was an ebay special.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »
Good to hear it was an easy fix. Is our solenoid on the starter or elsewhere? And what ebay solenoid did you use before...was it not OEM?

Offline sport rider

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
Good to hear it was an easy fix. Is our solenoid on the starter or elsewhere? And what ebay solenoid did you use before...was it not OEM?

it's located just in front of the battery under the left hand side cover.  the main power cable from the battery runs into it.  about 1.5 inches round.  has two bolt connections on top and a two-prong slide connector.

the one I bought was NOT oem.  but if you do a search, you'll find tons of options.  I didn't buy the cheapest from China, but still.....

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 03:55:54 PM »
Thanks for the education. Thinking back I remember seeing that when I was cleaning the batt leads. I am surprised you could find a non-OEM solenoid that fit there.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 04:43:02 AM »
It won't get shut down over a bit of fun....mmmmmkayyy?  ::)

It might.  Depends on how funny I feel at the time.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 09:45:10 AM »
VirginiaJim are you from/in VA or England?

It might.  Depends on how funny I feel at the time.... ;)