Author Topic: My Connie of 10 years totaled.(new bike update last post)  (Read 28112 times)

Offline jamiemac

My Connie of 10 years totaled.(new bike update last post)
« on: May 07, 2018, 11:31:41 PM »
First of all, I'm in pretty decent shape. Swollen knee, bruised up, and broken scapula. Lucky to be alive.

On Monday, April 30th an oncoming vehicle (minivan) turned left into me at intersection in Corydon, Indiana. Both vehicles totaled. My scoot is basically broken in half.

It appears my helmet impacted the opposing vehicle face first. Scorpion helmets, folks. I'm a believer.

I saw the van coming, and knew I was going to hit. Worked on scrubbing off as much speed as possible before impact. I think I was down to 10mph. The other vehicle, is unk by me, and our estimated speeds are not in the report. I'm taking a SWAG of about 25 to 30 mph.

I hired an attorney to deal with insurance and my injury lawsuit. I haven't made my mind up about continuing to ride yet, though. I'm 53. Been riding since I bought a Honda 350 Scrambler at 16. Decisions like this shouldn't be made quickly.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:22:08 PM by jamiemac »
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline jamiemac

frame of the connie opened so wide, the air filter fell out.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Oh sh*t, Jamie.  Thank God you survived this.  By the looks of things, you could’ve been much worse off.  I am glad you are okay, man.  Take it easy.  Godspeed.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline O.C.

Holy ****, that's a mess, I hope you recovery very quickly...
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline EZ

Good grief man! Glad you made it through what looks like one hell-of-a lick!! Very fortunate indeed. Any recollection on the speed at impact?

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
 My first two thoughts…
 You are one lucky motorcycle operator this morning.
 You are one stiff and sore motorcycle operator this morning.
 Glad to hear you are OK.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Best wishes Jaimie.

Seat looks ok....did you have the bags pinned?  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Wow- super lucky you are!  Sorry about the accident but glad you are OK.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Oh man, so sorry hear this. Hope you mend quickly and the insurance gets you a new scoot.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
OMG!  Glad you're ok, Jamie.   :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: My Connie of 10 years totaled. Sad biker. I'm in pretty good shape.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 07:55:16 AM »
I'm in pretty decent shape. Swollen knee, and broken scapula. Lucky to be alive.

OUCH! Looking at that photo above..... :o :yikes:
OK, I'll be the one to ask, how are.... "the guys"?

Get well soon.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
I will not say 'you got off easy' but man, that could have been a lot worse for you. The bike is readily replaceable, your health, not so much so it sounds like the right thing (the bike) took the worst beating. Heal up well.

As to the scapula, welcome to the club :-(  Sort of a nasty bone to break because it heals so slowly. Hopefully yours is just cracked; mine was shattered on the outside and required grafting along with the statement 'If it heals, it will be 4- 6 months'. Ugh.

Brian

I'm in pretty decent shape. Swollen knee, and broken scapula. Lucky to be alive.

Oncoming vehicle (minivan) turned left into me at intersection in Corydon, Indiana. Both vehicles totaled. My scoot is basically broken in half. I'll update with a more precise detailed narrative, when I'm thinking a little more clearly.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
....mine was shattered on the outside and required grafting along with the statement 'If it heals, it will be 4- 6 months'. Ugh.
And you probably keyed on the 4-6 months part, my thoughts would have been "What do you mean by IF it heals?"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 01:29:34 PM »
No, actually the key word there was 'if'. The surgeon explained that the bone fragments would fill with something, either calcium and knit together, or soft tissue and prevent them from knitting.... ever. At which point he could go back in, enlarge the original graft site and try it again. I noted that word 'try' also and asked outright: is there any way to guarantee a successful result and he basically said no.

Now as Jimmy probably knows, or will find out soon enough, that is the bone that attaches the thumb to the hand and we motorcyclists really, really need that 1) to work 2) to be relatively pain- free and 3) need it to be pretty robust, meaning 'as new' or a well healed bone. We need that paw for the clutch.

I am concerned enough about mine that I have been looking for auto- clutch bikes; did not find any new models other than the already known Fudger A (no longer imported into the US, and used ones are rare) and the Honda 1200F, and there are not many of those around either. Not sure if they still make them and even more unsure that they make the auto clutch model.

And BTW Jimmy, do not get too worked up if they prescribe a 'bone stimulator', it is not what you might be hoping for and there is no evidence (really, none) that they work anyway.

Brian

And you probably keyed on the 4-6 months part, my thoughts would have been "What do you mean by IF it heals?"
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »
Hey guy! I'm thinking a little better today. The concussion knocked a little sense out of me. OK, this happened on Monday, April 30th. I didn't think to put that in the original post.

I think that huge dent in the rear of the tank was caused by my knee, because, "the fellas" are fine. LOL

I brought my LAAM seat into the house, and yes, my bags were pinned. Right bag still came off though. It broke the passenger peg bracket in the process.

I did my first round of physical therapy yesterday, and I'm actually using my left arm to lift a soday, or hold a fork every now and then. Can't support any weight with it yet.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
I think the lack of sleep is also affecting me. No comfortable position. Ugh.

Thanks so much for all the well wishes , everyone.

There's a lot of good, usable parts on the scoot, still, so i'm going to strip it when I feel up to it. I can even use the Rostra cruise control on my Jeep!

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »
Wow- super lucky you are!  Sorry about the accident but glad you are OK.
Yep. Seat is good! Bags were pinned, and I had some of my tools in one. Hell, my phone launched across the road, and still works!

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »

OUCH! Looking at that photo above..... :o :yikes:
OK, I'll be the one to ask, how are.... "the guys"?

Get well soon.

Haha, I think my knee did that.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »
First time I ever got Hydrocodone (Vicodin) in my life was with this broken wrist. Stuff works well..... very well. :-) The dosage I got in various scripts was only 5 mg. but at the hospital, they handed me one that made my head swim a bit. I only ended up taking (I think) 5 of them, one the day after the break and a few the 2nd day after surgery. Only one time I took any during the day, the rest were at night and really did help with sleep.

I have no idea what your personal situation or beliefs are, and I am NOT asking, but if acceptable to, and for you, the 'heavier' drugs do seem to work well, especially at night when a little throbbing can become a big pounding (Easy Boys!).

Brian

I think the lack of sleep is also affecting me. No comfortable position. Ugh.

Thanks so much for all the well wishes , everyone.

There's a lot of good, usable parts on the scoot, still, so i'm going to strip it when I feel up to it. I can even use the Rostra cruise control on my Jeep!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Are you in a cast? Any surgery for the scapula?

Brian

Hey guy! I'm thinking a little better today. The concussion knocked a little sense out of me. OK, this happened on Monday, April 30th. I didn't think to put that in the original post.

I think that huge dent in the rear of the tank was caused by my knee, because, "the fellas" are fine. LOL

I brought my LAAM seat into the house, and yes, my bags were pinned. Right bag still came off though. It broke the passenger peg bracket in the process.

I did my first round of physical therapy yesterday, and I'm actually using my left arm to lift a soday, or hold a fork every now and then. Can't support any weight with it yet.