Author Topic: Is riding with ZG good for your health? The verdict is still out.  (Read 7195 times)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
The title may be misleading cause I will ride with my brother Jay any day of the week.

Jay and I have been riding together for years. Back in the day we both owned ’87 Gixxer 750’s. Mine bone stock, total stealth mode. His farkles galore, imagine that. I can’t remember what pipe he had on his, but I do remember it was louder than $*%# when he rolled it on.

Please do not take this story wrong. You need to remember we were maybe 20 years old, YOUNG and DUMB.

Anyways, Jay and I were running through suburbia, racing stop light to stop light, maybe even running a few of those lights. We were weaving in and out of traffic enjoying every bit of throttle we could on our old school crotch rockets. Really to no surprise some red and blue lights showed up behind us while we were sitting at a stop light. To this day I still blame it on Jay’s noisy bike! I looked over at Jay and motioned to him that I was gonna run. I took off, ran through the red light and glanced over my shoulder to see Jay was right on my tail. We left that cruiser in the dust, it did not take long to rid the red and blues from our mirrors. We were so far ahead I was able to ease up on the throttle. We were coming up to an overpass when we saw two cruisers sitting nose to nose. This was a sad attempt at a road block, since there were huge bike lanes on both sides. I cracked open my throttle, flying by the rear end of 5.0 on the right, Jay still with me. I took a left heading out towards my stomping grounds, I knew where to go, there is not a cruiser on the planet that could keep up with me in the corners. I went racing by a small strip mall, with very little traffic in the area as it was late in the evening. I started to slow to make a right turn and head out of town. When I turned to make a right …..this is one of those images I will never forget…… Jay was flying through the air as I turned and rode my bike under him. Jay did not slow for the corner and somehow rode his bike down into the culvert, his bike stopped instantly but he did not. He cleared the street and landed in the ditch. I stopped to see him sit up in the ditch and then looked to the right. The red and blue were in pursuit.

This was a moment I had no idea what to do. My instinct was to run, and run is what I did. Yes, I left a man down. Curse me here, but keep reading the story, it gets better.

My parents lived about five miles from where Jay sat in the ditch. It took me maybe four minutes to get there with no red or blue lights in sight. Like I said those were my stomping grounds. I parked my bike behind my parents’ house and ran in and grabbed my mother’s keys to her Prelude. I think she might have been asking me what I was doing but I can’t be sure because I was running out the door to head back to Jay in the ditch. As soon as I pulled out of the driveway I was calling Jay’s wife. Yes, he was married back then. He married his high school sweetheart…..Ohhhhhhh….

I was explaining to her what we had been doing as I drove back to the scene. When I arrived they had just loaded Jay in the ambulance, I was able to fall in behind and follow it to the hospital. I told his wife where to come and I parked out in the structure waiting for her. I had no intentions of going in and getting the cuffs put on me, but I wanted to know if Jay was ok.

Jay’s wife found me in the parking structure and she went in to see what was going on. I think I sat out there for an hour, maybe even two. Jay’s wife finally came back out and the first thing she said to me was “You are so lucky, Jay told the police he was run off the road by two bikes going mach 2.” The police obviously knew he was one of the bikes they were pursuing but they could not prove it and Jay stuck to his story.

Jay ended up with a broken ankle and a Gixxer with bent forks. Another EPIC adventure. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:28:15 PM by LivnLoud »

Son of Pappy

Re: Is riding with ZG good for your health? The verdict is still out.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
When Jay was 20?  That was what, like 2 years ago ;D

Great story, yet again.  I am starting to understand just why you have black bikes, less of a chance to get in trouble :o

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »
Looks like SoP, Jay, and yourself live in the same town! That sounds fun.

Awesome story, even though on the dangerous side ! lol !
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:40 AM »
Jay used to ride?

:stirpot:

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:34:11 AM »
When Jay was 20?  That was what, like 2 years ago ;D
+20

Looks like SoP, Jay, and yourself live in the same town! That sounds fun.
Chet is about three hours north of us, but I do see some rides together this summer. Definitively a ride around Mt. St. Helens. The only problem is if she blows again that silverdammit bike is going to get stuck in the lava as Jay and I race out of there unscathed.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »
I found some pictures of our GSXR's. For some reason Jay painted his all red. He must have been covering something up  :stirpot:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
Great story! I'm glad that you two crazy fools are still with us!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
Great story, still not sure how the popo couldn't identify Jay's bike.
Glad it turned out ok.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »
+20
Chet is about three hours north of us, but I do see some rides together this summer. Definitively a ride around Mt. St. Helens. The only problem is if she blows again that silverdammit bike is going to get stuck in the lava as Jay and I race out of there unscathed.
3 hours on a black bike, mapquest shows 2 hours!  Aint worried about her blowing, we have KIPASS to keep us safe :)

There would be some smileys but the work firewall blocks em!!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:47:54 AM »
Ah yes, good times bro, nothing like being young and stupid without a care in the world... I miss those days!  ;D

A couple other data points to this story:

I hit that cement culvert at the t of the road definately at 100+, my guess would be maybe even 120+... As Gumbi said I flew at least 40 to 50 feet over the bike, totally clearing the road all in flight. The adrenilin was pumping so hard I got up, went over to my bike and tried to drag it into some nearby apartments to hide, no go, she wouldn't even role... I sat down and that's when I looked down at my leg, picture sitting on your butt with toes pointed straight in the air but one foot is pointing flat on the ground.  :o  I pulled up my pant leg and see my bone sticking out.  ???  Yep, compound break through the skin and leg was broke in 3 places...  :(  Took 3 different surgeries to get it somewhat right but she is still not perfect and ended my skiing career.

When mama showed up the LEO's said "how did you eve know he was here"?  :o :-X  I quickly jumped in before she could answer and started screaming with pain, doctors at that point told the LEO's to leave the ER room.

The LEO's wrote me about $4k dollars worth of tickets in the emergency room (which was big $ back in the early 90's), everything from reckless to evading etc etc...  I got a lawyer and beat them all, they couldn't prove it was me they were chasing...

Mama was not too happy with me (and Gumbi) as you can imagine, she was about 8 months pregnant with our first (who will be 18 in May and graduating), plus it was about midnight or later so she went from a total sleep to Gumbi calling her and from what she remembers hearing someting about Jay might be dead!  :o

It's nice to be alive and well and look back on stories like this, oh what a long time ago that was and how different we all are now.  ;)

What's probably even worse, is this is only one story, Gumbi and I could probably write a book about our troubles in our youth, we weren't what I would call "good boys" if you know what I mean...  ;)  (remember the downtown Hilton story...  ;D :-X )

We both eventually did grow up though and now we are trouble free and both have kids.

Good times bro, I'll ride with you any day as well, I'm glad you bought that Connie and glad that we are still friends after almost 30 years!  :grouphug: :chugbeer:

Great story, still not sure how the popo couldn't identify Jay's bike.

It was at night and we were going so fast they could never get a plate # MP...  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »
Man-o-man you two were SO lucky! Specially you Jay! You were walking on that leg trying to drag the bike?    :o

I know that you have two girls, what about Gumbi?

I have two boys, neither have the need for speed like their dad though.

What a long strange trip it's been eh?

Lots to go yet too.    :chugbeer:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
My boy just turned 15. The sad thing is he has no interest in bikes what so ever.

Life, gotta love it. And beer  8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
Man-o-man you two were SO lucky! Specially you Jay! You were walking on that leg trying to drag the bike?    :o

I have two boys, neither have the need for speed like their dad though.

Yep, addrenillin can turn you into Superman! But once I sat down and saw that bone sticking out it was all I could do to not passout...  :'(

The good Lord blessed me with 2 girls, I think because he didn't want another little Jay in this world...  ;D

As for Gumbi, he has a son, so jury is still out on him and any future troubles, hopefully he is more taim than his father was in youth!  ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »

+1...  :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »

And women.    :-*

Offline okxd45

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
Wow........crazy lol!  :o
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
And women.    :-*

Especially the beer drinking kind.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
Fantastic read here, thanks!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
Jay used to ride?

:stirpot:

Don't you have some cheese to make Mike...  ;)   :rotflmao:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

Don't you have some cheese to make Mike...  ;)   :rotflmao:

I move the cheese.....I cut the cheese.......