Author Topic: A little advice, please  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Badbogie

A little advice, please
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:05:41 AM »
I'm trying to decide what to do with my '99 that I crashed a couple of weeks ago. Front fairings, upper and middle both sides, headlight, dash, mirrors, blinkers, bars, I think are all pretty damaged.  Also footpegs broken and fairing frame bent.  Maybe more, but it looks like everything else is ok.  Right after the crash I was going to sell it, and the other bikes as well.  Now I'm not so sure.  Wondering if it would be cheaper to part it out and buy another if I end up wanting to ride.  I'm still pretty spooked as it was an ugly high side and only a full set of leathers and helmet and a huge amount of luck saved me.
I figure someone out there has brought one back and can give me an idea of the cost effectiveness.  It was running pretty sweet with Steve's exhaust cam gear and 2 min jet kit and only 20000 miles.  But, I don't really need any huge projects. 
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Offline Johnj

Re: A little advice, please
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 05:21:26 AM »
You've got the beginnings of a naked Connie there. 
Practicing the dark art of turn-signal usage since 1976

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:40:16 AM »
I think you'll find that you can easily get another C-10 for what those parts will set you back. You could go nekkid as suggested, or given your engine mods you could prolly get some $ out of it as there's always someone who's hydrolocked theirs...
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Bergmenized

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
I'm trying to decide what to do with my '99 that I crashed a couple of weeks ago. Front fairings, upper and middle both sides, headlight, dash, mirrors, blinkers, bars, I think are all pretty damaged.  Also footpegs broken and fairing frame bent.  Maybe more, but it looks like everything else is ok.  Right after the crash I was going to sell it, and the other bikes as well.  Now I'm not so sure.  Wondering if it would be cheaper to part it out and buy another if I end up wanting to ride.  I'm still pretty spooked as it was an ugly high side and only a full set of leathers and helmet and a huge amount of luck saved me.
I figure someone out there has brought one back and can give me an idea of the cost effectiveness.  It was running pretty sweet with Steve's exhaust cam gear and 2 min jet kit and only 20000 miles.  But, I don't really need any huge projects
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

If you want to get this back on the road, trust me, it will be a huge project. There is really no way around it.

Dan

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:29:09 PM »
depends on what you consider a huge project...seriously.
If you have other bikes to ride, you might just want to go with the flow, and make it nekid...
The cost is minimal, but the time is a thing relative to the outcome...fast and dirty yields...well, fast and dirty, but if you own the bike free and clear, whatcha got to loose?
You can sell it wrecked for as much as you think you'll get for pieces parts, maybe even more when you decide how much of a p.i.t.a it is to sell off parts, and at that point you have no choice but to ditch a bunch of parts because it ain't a "bike" any longer.
I've played that one before, and it takes wayyyyyyy more time and effort, and money inititally, to disassemble and sell the bike in pieces. don't make the mistake, I'm telling you so you don't loose money, time, and value, something that you won't realize till it's done the hard way.
You can make a Nekid bike for cheap or for a bundle, I did one with a realllly bad starter bike, and came out with a nice and original toy.....total cost? around $3k, but then the starter bike was a p.o.s.

here, this is how it went:
start
http://rides.webshots.com/album/197545285ZPOTXA
finish
http://rides.webshots.com/album/410563888cylQwc

build time...mmmmm 90 days tops, but I have a full time job.
I could have completed this in 60 days, but I bought a lot of auction stuff off e-bay, as the starter bike was a P.O.S.
the cost included but not limited to:
Forks, brakes,rotors, pads, lines,clutch plates
& star spring front and rear rims, gastank,fuel sender,carbs and build parts, filters, fairing, seat, bars and mounts, gages, tire, exhaust, battery, wires, levers, pegs, signals, sidepanels, a lot of supplies....and expensive paint....did I forget anything?  oh yeah, new fingertips....and lots of gooooood beer.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
MOB,
Thank you for posting those pics. I really enjoyed going through them all. You do some great work and I love that paint job and the sound of those supertrapps. It sure  brings back lots of memories. You have a nice stable of Kaws from the LTD to the C10 to the C14. They sure look good and they belong together. Like a little family.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »
you're very welcom, it is and was a lifetime passion, and the spark is still there...
I do have to add a correction on the time it took, when I went back through the photos, and after my wife reminded me (of exactly how long I spent out there in the SkUnKwErKz, it was actually only a 60 day build, it seemed like 90....but the photo dates and postings reminded me....I can say I did spend a lot of time "fishing' for the parts I wanted, that is was skewed my perception of time..heehheheh
I probably would never sell that silly bike, nor would I sell DiRtDawg, just out of principals...the silver C10 (Touch Of Gray) was sold, and I regret that every single time i walk into the barn. Even today I have to say it was the best bike I ever owned, and built.

oh well, I'm just trying to let the O/p know he can be back in the saddle, if he has tools and an ambition, with a unique ride, and a sense of 'look-at-what-I made" accomplishment,

I bought that fugly red bike for parts spares for $550, and didn't get the title for almost a year, which seriously hampered my progress...
One warning, never buy a parts bike, and get it running without the exhaust on it....thats what made me build COGZilla. ;)

Offline medicevans

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
I'd say take another couple of weeks, maybe even a month and see how you feel. A bad high side like you had can really put you in a bad mental place. If in a month you want to ride, then come bad and revaluate.  Don't rush it.

Parting out a bike is A LOT of WORK. Time, energy, hassle, etc. If it were me, I'd make the one you have a naked Conc and buy another different one if you want a fully faired bike. Bringing this one back, unless you're very emotionally attached to it, probably is a financial nightmare.

Offline Badbogie

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  All of it good and realistic.  I kind of had this romantic idea of rebuilding it, but then I realize I can't even get the bathroom tile done and the house painted. But, I will wait a bit on making a final decision. Medicevans, you are right, this did put me in a strange mental place.  Dan, Mob, probably don't have your dedication.  Both of your results are very cool, but I know how much went into them.
It is pretty sad seeing her in the garage.  Looks almost perfect from behind, but then walk around and not so good.  Hmmm, not the first time I've noticed that phenomena.
Did I mention, wear your gear?  Really becomes clear when you hear your helmet smacking the pavement multiple times.  And leather is pretty amazing stuff.
Be safe.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »
I didn't mention the mental anguish part because I didn't want you to dwell on it, but I hit the ground pretty hard once, on a COG maiden voyage to be exact. I Trashed my Z bike which I spent months resurecting, and truthfully it took me a long while before I was mentally ready and back to normal, to ride like I wanted to. I was freaked out by every speck of gravel on the road, and finally got normal again. It takes time, and given that time, you may find peace with riding, just do what you think is right, but do it at your pace.
best of luck, whatever you choose. My best catharsis was re-building my Z bike, and that didn't happen overnight.

slamming into this embankment, and seeing the boulder 6 inches from my helmet imprint:

ego damaged, a bit bruised, and bike needing some more repair

was heading the opposite way the bike is pointed before departing into the embankment
very lucky....

and i agree, protective gear is a good thing....

Offline Badbogie

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
Thanks for that MOB.  I may take some pics of my connie and post them.  All I can remember is thinking WTF happened and damn am I going fast and will I ever quit tumbling.  And total surprise that I could stand up and was mostly ok.  Glad to know I'm not alone in the way I feel about this.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
a lot of people remeber a lot less.....it's fotunate that you never went unconcious....that is the part where people question thier life, and that aint bad, it's just a turning point...
semper fi....
 go back, think about it, and make decisions based on real feelings.
 recover,
and find peace.....

I see you already made some decisions, i suggest you wait, cool down, and re evaluatete them

Offline Badbogie

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 12:42:23 AM »
Yep, no hurry to decide what to do.  I'll figure it out once the smoke clears.
Really appreciate the input on parting it out.  Don't think I want all that hassle.  Fortunately I do have a full time job so don't need to make work (particularly unprofitable work).
Thanks, again.