Author Topic: Oil pressure light  (Read 3068 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Oil pressure light
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »
Reading here has gotten me questioning my skills and what I do to improve them. I have begun practicing hard or "emergency" braking and other avoidance techniques. Unfortunately, I get a low oil preassure light pretty consistantly when I apply the front brake with any gusto, is this normal on the C-10?
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Oil pressure light
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:51:14 AM »
From what I gather this is somewhat normal.  This was discussed at great length on the old forum.  IIRC it is nothing to have great concern over.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:55:57 AM »
Interesting. I can't recall that ever happening to me. Good excuse to do some practice tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »
I dont remember who started the original topic.  My 02 does it when I have the binders pulled WAY in, as soon as the nose comes back up the light goes back off.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »
My bike does it if I get on the brakes really hard, too.  It does it less if I add a bit more oil.  Instead of the oil being just half way up the sight glass, I run it at 3/4 or so.  At half, the light came on even under more normal braking at the stop sign at the end of my road.  (On a downhill.)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
Thanks all. My oil level is, if anything, a bit high. There is barely a bubble at the top of the window with the bike on the c-stand, after having been on the side stand for several hours. I will check it again in my garage, it's not exactly level where it is parked right now.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »
Going completly from memory here; I dont think your oil will change the fact if your light comes on. I may be mistaken, it has happend in the past ???
2002 Conc

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
I'm glad you all bought this up,  Last week I did some serious braking on the way to work. Very heavy braking and everytime the oil light flickered.  I have good oil level, so I gathered it was due to the oil sensor being uncovered for a split second causing the light to come on.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
Mine was the '06 with the oil light problem. Several things were going on with the bike. When the temps were low(air not bike) I had a squeal between 2000 and 2500 rpm. The bike had a lot of engine noise. More than any of the 29 bikes I have owned. The biggest problem was that I would get an oil light durning heaving front wheel braking. Once the light came on it would not go off. I installed a pressure gauge and it confirmed a total loss of oil pressure. The light would go out if I bliped the throttle to about 5000 rpm. Not a long term fix. Long story short, I could find nothing wrong with anything including the oil pump. I replaced the oil pump and now no loss of oil pressure, The squeal is gone, and the engine is much quieter. 6000 miles later the bike is as it should be.  I hope this helps.

PS SISF has my old but I don't know if he ever found anything wrong with it 

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
I'm glad you all bought this up,  Last week I did some serious braking on the way to work. Very heavy braking and everytime the oil light flickered.  I have good oil level, so I gathered it was due to the oil sensor being uncovered for a split second causing the light to come on.

Cheers
Ron

Bingo! 
'02 C-10

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »
The opposite was a problem with my Z-1 after I hopped it up. Light would come on under accelaration. An oil gate in the pan fixed that.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1