Author Topic: Sorry, but I can't seem to find oil change intervals  (Read 7496 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Sorry, but I can't seem to find oil change intervals
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
recommendations on oil change intervals. I know they're here, but my searches come up with about nothing. I know the book(s) suggest 6kmi. I'm there right now, and I'll be lucky to get another 1000-1500 miles for the season. Last year was good for me, and I managed about 7200 mi. So, do I shorten the interval to about 3500 mi, or change it seasonally and call it good? I'm running Valvoline dino, motorcycle specific 10w40 and change the filter with every oil change. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:20:30 AM by VirginiaJim »
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline redzgrider

Re: Sorry, but I can't seem to find
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »
I just looked at a .pdf copy of the owner's manual, and it indicates oil changes at about 3500 mile intervals, with filter changes every other oil change. Can't say I've ever agreed with skipping the filter change. I pretty much always change my oil at about 3K intervals, not so much because the manual or the group here says so, but because the bike seems to shift so much better with fresh oil.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »
 :popcorn:
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:28:40 PM »
I'll have to double check, I thought the owners manual said 6k. If it says 3000 or 3500, the answer is easy. I'm not trying to cut corners here on the cost of an oil change, I plan on keeping this bike. I thought I had seen where others, with high mileage bikes, were going to 7+kmi.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:17:36 PM »
I just happened to literally trip over (well, step on) the owner's manual for my 06 that I've been looking for all season.  (Last maintenance entry @ 38,210 and I'm a couple hundred miles from turning 50,000 - did the maintenance, just couldn't log it)

For the 2006, the oil changes are spec'd for every 6,000 miles.  Filter changes at the same time.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:11:54 PM »
I use Mobil 1 with Pure One filters ever 5000 miles. No problems for 45000 miles.

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
I use Mobil 1 with Pure One filters ever 5000 miles. No problems for 45000 miles.

+1
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
Re: Sorry, but I can't seem to find oil change intervals
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »
Kendall racing 20w-50 and Supertech filters every 5000. :deadhorse: ;D
2004 C10 RIP

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:14:48 AM »
Put me down in the Mobil 1 every 5K list.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »
Blaise_ I change the oil in my 06 between 3K and 5K . Filter too. I use 10W 40 dino oil. It has 64K and runs well, shifts well and uses no oil. Hope to see you at Nov. M&G in Newburgh.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:42:16 AM »
Blaise_ I change the oil in my 06 between 3K and 5K . Filter too. I use 10W 40 dino oil. It has 64K and runs well, shifts well and uses no oil. Hope to see you at Nov. M&G in Newburgh.
      Tom Taylor COG#7173

+1. I do exactly the same as Tom, even down to the 10-40 dino.
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »
I use Shell Rotella T 15W40 Dino Oil.
Change oil and filter every 3000 miles (or if not riding much") every year.
So far, 2 Connies. 160,000 total miles with no oil related problems..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
Thanks all. I changed my oil last night at just about 6kmi. I will probably begin next year with about a 4kmi interval, that will have me changing about mid-season and not trying to finish the season out by extending the interval. I have another few rides this season (Tom, hope to see you in Newburgh, no definate plans yet, though) and the cost of an oil change is not worth pushing it and risking wear/damage.
COG 9331

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 01:30:59 PM »
I've been thinking about pushing my oil changes to every 10-12k miles in the future, given that the 5-6k Kawa interval was probably decided on when only dino oils were available back in the late 80's, early 90's.

All cars here over the pond have at least doubled their oil change intervals over the past 10 years or so, both gas and diesel engined models. IMO, the only way they've achieved this is by using better available oils, especially fully synthetic such as Mobil 1.

Then again, for the time and cost involved in terms of life time ownership of the C-10, I'll probably just change mine at the end of every season regardless of whether I've done 3k or 10k. Then there's fresh oil in the engine over the winter period of zero riding  ;).
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 04:24:10 PM »
I've been thinking about pushing my oil changes to every 10-12k miles in the future, given that the 5-6k Kawa interval was probably decided on when only dino oils were available back in the late 80's, early 90's.

All cars here over the pond have at least doubled their oil change intervals over the past 10 years or so, both gas and diesel engined models. IMO, the only way they've achieved this is by using better available oils, especially fully synthetic such as Mobil 1.

Motorcycles are somewhat harder on oil than cars are, as the oil lubricates both the engine and transmission.  The shifting would probably get pretty bad if you were to stretch it out to 10k or more.  I find that even with synthetic, the shifting starts to suffer long before that.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
Motorcycles are somewhat harder on oil than cars are, as the oil lubricates both the engine and transmission.  The shifting would probably get pretty bad if you were to stretch it out to 10k or more.  I find that even with synthetic, the shifting starts to suffer long before that.

I agree. Don't stretch it out that far...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gtr1000inFL

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
Oil and filter companies have always stood by the claim 3000 miles is the life of an oil change, due to loss of lubrication, contamination of acid and dirt, and the start of the filter by-passing oil as the filter media gets restricted with dirt.  I guess it comes down to how much do you like the bike, how long you plan to keep it, and does $30-35 really seem a costly service to abuse?  Claims of longer oil life from a vehicle (or cycle) manufacturer never impressed me. 

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 07:03:21 AM »
Oil and filter companies have always stood by the claim 3000 miles is the life of an oil change, due to loss of lubrication, contamination of acid and dirt, and the start of the filter by-passing oil as the filter media gets restricted with dirt.  I guess it comes down to how much do you like the bike, how long you plan to keep it, and does $30-35 really seem a costly service to abuse?  Claims of longer oil life from a vehicle (or cycle) manufacturer never impressed me.

Well, the oil and filter companies, and oil change places, all have a financial interest in selling oil and filters as often as possible.

My 1996 Sunfire manual stated 7500 miles between changes.  I did it somewhere around those intervals - usually later as I tend to procrastinate.  And the car had 247,000 miles on a 2.2L gas motor when it was totaled.  (Someone blew through a stop sign in front of my wife) The car was still running strong and was getting 32+mpg at that point.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 07:21:42 AM »
Well, the oil and filter companies, and oil change places, all have a financial interest in selling oil and filters as often as possible.

Exactly...... The Rebuild cost of the Main Engines that I'm in charge of on board ship "start" at 250,000.00 each so you can believe that we want maximum engine life. These engines hold 475 gallons of oil that cost about 12/13 dollars a gallon. How often do you think we change our oil? If we can get away with it NEVER within the life of the rebuild; and only by reported sample or catastrophic failure. How often do we change the oil filters? As per the Engine Manf recommendations of hours or pressure differential.

Another reason Oil Manf like to spec low change numbers is for reclaiming the oil; oil that has less hours on it is easier to reclaim.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
I have to disagree a bit.
Actually, the Oil Companies do not say to change the oil at 3000 miles. They are all making oil that is rated at far more than 3000.  They all advertise that the oil is good for more than 3000 miles.

Yea, I agree that the oil companies like to sell the oil and get the money, but you will not see them advertising that their oil has to be changed at 3000 miles. All oil currently on the market is good for more than 3000. Many are advertised to last 5000-10,000 miles. Synthetic is advertised to last longer than that.

Filters are also advertised to last longer than 3000 miles.

In the owner manuals on most new cars, it says to change the oil at 3000 "only" in very hard use/high heat/ or dirty applications. Most recommend changes at approx 5000 miles.

I'm not sure who says you must change the oil at 3000.
Certainly the people that are selling oil changes say that.
The dealers say to change at 3000 as they are selling oil changes and responsible for the warranty.

3000 mile changes are overprotection.
What 3000 mile oil changes do is assure you that your changeing "well" before it is a problem.
But it is not absolutely necessary.

Having said all of that I admit that i change my bike oil more frequesntly than 5000 miles. I do that because I ride so seldom that time is my main reason for changing. I also feel that fresh oil helps the shifting.
I change my car oil every 5000 miles.

Ride safe, Ted