Author Topic: GTR 1000 Carburettor  (Read 23380 times)

Offline LT South Africa

GTR 1000 Carburettor
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:22:39 AM »
Good day all.

I have just bought a 1988 GTR 1000

Due to erratic idling and sluggish drive I removed he carbs and had them reconditioned.

However, the bike has K & N filters installed. One per carb. So here is no air box.

On reinstalling the carbs I have two pipes / tubes coming from between 1&2 and then again between 3&4 carbs.

I have absolutely no idea where they should go.

Please help.
LT

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
Re: GTR 1000 Carburettor
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »
Good day all.

I have just bought a 1988 GTR 1000

Due to erratic idling and sluggish drive I removed he carbs and had them reconditioned.

However, the bike has K & N filters installed. One per carb. So here is no air box.

On reinstalling the carbs I have two pipes / tubes coming from between 1&2 and then again between 3&4 carbs.

I have absolutely no idea where they should go.

Please help.
LT
I can tell you right now that the bike will run poorly with those K&N pods. Throw those in the garbage right away and source the correct original air box and the rubber boots  and get a new filter for it.
I believe your talking about the vent tubes.
They go nowhere and are to vent the carbs to the open air. there should be a clip on the each side of frame to hold the tubes.
See the two  clear or yellowish hoses sticking up in this video. Those are the vent tubes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJpRePt9GNA&feature=plcp
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »
I just have to laugh, everytime I watch Bubba do this in the video, I think about how many times I have done it, and shown people how to do it, and always find the humor knowing "I would NEVER video tape it myself" because I know exactly how many time it would have to be "bleeped" to mask the loud "SONOFAB----" and "OUCH, DAMMIT THAT HURT...." that I'm sure he and I have shared a hundred times, before we got it down pat... not to mention the many bandaids.... and blood....

Just love that video....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 10:57:10 PM »
Thanx. I thought as much. I'm not having any luck sourcing a filter box from a breakers yard. And I might as well buy another Connie for the price of am import from Japan. As a temporary fix I am going to see if I can reduce the airflow by blocking off some of the racing filter. Maybe some duct tape around the filter will work.

LT

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 12:05:04 AM »
You should be able to locate one easily on ebay, for very little cost, from someone with a wrecked bike..
Or do a search here for The Wizard, he sells used parts....contact him...
He is mostly on our other forum...
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=66588.msg544994#msg544994

Also this fellow may have one for you....
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21741.msg270053#msg270053

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 01:00:09 AM »
Thanx guys. eBay is a pain from South Africa. I used it frequently when in Scotland. Many occasions received delivery the next day. Here, we are lucky if we get ye delivery in 2 months. If we ever get it. Lol........ Our postal system is not the greatest. There are very ew Connie's in breaker yards here. Wonder if it's because they are all still running. Lol...... But I will give eBay a try. Will just be a long wait

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 06:22:44 AM »
You should also know that you could get carbs and airbox used on any C-10 from 1986 thru 2006.  They are pretty much all the same except for differences going to each country.  Some carbs have heaters built it that use the coolant system, some have limiters for the travel of the slide (less HP), and I think there are a few other small differences.  As far as I know none of these would greatly affect drivability, and should bolt up perfectly.   After reading the predicament you are in due to your location, I would tend to get the first "nice" set you come across.  It will also be a great time to put in both new throttle cables as these are very hard to get to if they break.  Good luck in your search.

I cannot recall, does anyone else know if our carbs were used on a different bike to help broaden his search?  GPZ900?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 12:14:49 PM »
I understand the carbs for the Connie are also used in the zx 1000 which was available in south Africa in the 80's and early 90's as well. I still
Cannot find any though. To make matter worse. I have learned that only 25 GTR 1000 were brought into South Africa at the time. So now I am understanding the difficulty in getting replacement carbs. Other than importing from Japan at unaffordable cost. Kawasaki south Africa are not interested in assisting. At this point I am concentrating on getting Keihin VE 65's to work perfectly. The bike is running okay. Consumption is good. But it's sluggish on low revs and because I cannot adjust the floats the bike is smelling of fuel. However, inspection of the spark plugs indicate it's running lean. So I am very confused and don't know which way to go.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
I also cannot get a air filter box to replace the k & n racing filters so I am toying with fabricating my own filter box from mild steel. Or maybe fibreglass resin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »
LT

Contact wizard, the person I noted in post #4

I'm sure he could assist, he has a big stockpile of parts, and I'm sure could arrange affordable shipping to you if you pay him up front, he is reliable, we all can vouch for him.... he's a good member....

another link to his contact...
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=68342.msg566312#msg566312

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:32:48 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »
In what part of RSA do you live? I have a friend in PE that may be able to help with fiberglass, if you decide to go that route.

Making a new airbox shouldn't be terribly hard, but it'll be rather time consuming. The stock airbox does 'massage' the air into the carbs so the bike runs smooth at low-mid RPM's. You'll also need to make some provision for the air box 'boots' to the carb inlets.

Best bet is to find a derelict airbox and make it work.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »
I am on the west of Johannesburg in Lanseria. PE is an overnight courier service away.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 11:22:25 PM »
Thanx man of blues. I will look into this as an option. Unfortunately finances are on reserve for awhile

Offline Summit670

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 07:49:25 PM »
Unless you are really adept at working with fiberglass, I wouldnt go that route.  If the airbox didnt have that horizontal piece which the filter seals against it would be a lot easier to fabricate but making one with that piece and maintaining similar airflow characteristics would be challenging. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 09:29:03 PM »
Just to let you all know. Even though I have sluggish throttle response I have just run a tank of fuel and my consumption was calculated at 15.5 km per litre. I don't think that's too bad for a 28 year old girl with 4 carbs. Can't wait to get an original air filter box and set of original carbs to see what the consumption will be like then. This will however, have to wait until March next year.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 06:23:51 AM »
If my math is right, that's about 36.5 miles per gallon here in the states. With the proper carbs, airbox & tune you should be in the neighborhood of 25-35% better. :popcorn:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
Consider his location, and the actual fuel he is forced to buy, not by choice, but by supply and location....
Id say he is getting acceptable miles per gallon based on this..

You can't base mpg generically on "gas", as some places fuel is pretty damned poor.... buy gas in south america, and ride hard.... you might get 20 mpg...
Mexico? Maybe 25 mpg...
Ohio?  Well, we have ethanol, but get 40 mpg....

I do think proper carbs and airbox, along with airfilter, and tuning would net better... but he's running carbs currently that are smaller in size, with pod filters...
Both effect mileage, and drastically at that, his carbs are having to run in "acceleration mode" for much more of their life, just to give acceptable performance, which still is degraded... it isn't like rolling along in "eco / cruise mode" as a larger carb size would provide..

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
MOB you've hit the nail on the head. That's how my ride feels. No eco mod.

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 02:09:05 AM »
I'm really struggling with the carbs now. Driving has become very erratic. I suspect some dirt has got in somewhere or unwanted air. This is my only mode of transport for work and I fear the bike is going to fail me on the road. I cannot afford a 2nd hand set of carbs here in South Africa for a good couple of months still. I don't suppose somebody would like to donate a set of carbs and airfilter box by any chance. I know this is going to produce much criticism and hate mail but I am desperate.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 11:43:36 PM »
... I don't suppose somebody would like to donate a set of carbs and airfilter box by any chance. I know this is going to produce much criticism and hate mail but I am desperate.

I don't know about donate, but check this thread out. The seller is above board. USPS (postal) shipping to RSA is at least $70 USD.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22050.msg273733#msg273733

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org