Author Topic: Typical Concours owner behavior is on the west coast too  (Read 2866 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Typical Concours owner behavior is on the west coast too
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »
On my recent trip from the east coast to the west coast, I foolishly decided to add a temporary aux. fuel tank to my bike for the ride back east. It was foolish because I didn't really have any place to do the mods., I did not have the time to tinker and perfect the installation as is always necessary it seems on a project like this and I did not have access to a lot of tools (power or hand tools). But Chet (Son of Pappy) offered me his garage and facilities to do the installation and I took him up on it. So one Monday morning we got together and did some real damage, most of which is now fixed or at least minimized. :-)

Typical concours owner behavior in my experience, Chet opened his home, garage and complete facilities to my use (Chet even has all the basic machine shop equipment- imagine my surprise when I could have used a bandsaw and a lathe and Chet had both!). Of course things did not go perfectly smoothly.... OK, they did not go smoothly at all but Chet offered me all the time and whatever materials we could muster until the job was done. I cannot thank Chet enough- not only did we get the aux. tank fitted and plumbed but we had a lot of laughs along the way.

As I said in the post title, this has been pretty typical Concours owner behavior in my experience. A great bunch of people from what I have seen, and Chet stand out as a good guy in a good group.

On a slightly different note, I do not understand but the aux. tank developed a small seepage before I got all the way back home. I thought we had done everything necessary including, but not limited to, using incorrect tools, mangling the fittings a little, crushing and splitting the O-Rings that were supposed to seal the bulkhead fittings, using pieces from a tire tube, using some kind of 'kneed and stick' goop that Chet had (epoxy?), using the wrong types of seal, trying to seal a thin- walled plastic fuel tank that was never meant to have holes punched into it and finishing the whole thing with some bailing wire. ??? How could that have failed? Oh, wait.... I don't think we actually used any bailing wire, Chet just gave me some to take on the ride home. Yep, should have wrapped the fittings with good 'ole bailing wire and it would have worked for sure....

Chet even went so far as to send me on my way with a talisman- guaranteed to prevent clouds of locusts as well as keeping away tigers. I am happy to report that it performed flawlessly- no locusts or tigers anywhere on my way home. Thanks a million Chet.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

Re: Typical Concours owner behavior is on the west coast too
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
What? No duct tape? There's your problem right there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:48:12 PM »

*Winner*  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
I mentioned that very thing to Chet- something like 'if all else fails, we can wrap the tank with duct tape.' But he had some new- fangled tape that he claimed was even better than duct tape as if such a thing were possible.

'Nothing screams bad craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape.' - shameless stole from some witty fellow on the 'Net

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
Glad to hear about Concours owners helping either other and going above and beyond.  If your ever in Arizona again and need any assistance feel free to shout at me.  I may not have all dem there power tools but I do have a few cold ones in the fridge I'd be willing to share and that says allot with the 115 degree temps :)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
Everyone on the West Coast knows Ducts and Elk don't get along ;)  Besides, I was flat out of tape, my old rusty 12 gauge had a cracked stock and my sister/aunts pantry was running a little low on fresh fowl ;)